Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Eric Musco please enlight me

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Eric Musco please enlight me
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Kilora's Avatar


Kilora
05.07.2013 , 01:33 PM | #941
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
Kate Paiz, LotRO executive producer has spoken about this very matter twice, specifically the increase in revenue, source of revenue and current effect on the game. She spoke to the revenue and new player effects in Episode 30 of Top Ten Hammer live as well as the panel at GDC Online 2010 where she spelled out the specific revenue model and its effects at that time. I can look up specific verbiage if you wish.

Jim Crowley, CEO of Turbine reported that DDO had an increase of one million new players, a doubling of the sub base, a 500 percent increase in the franchises revenue, players engaging in transactions in the store at three times the industry average with the bulk of transactions coming from new F2P players with the Eberron expansion. He did not provide actual revenue numbers however.

To be fair Kate Paiz was at Turbine at the time and moved on to LotRO later.

Will Lutton wrote an extensive book on the model, called Free-to-Play: Making Money From Games You Give Away which speaks to the model directly, its effects on the playerbase, F2P performance and percentages historically with references and income expectations from the model. He also touches on the perceived evil of the model and it's effect on a subscription base when introduced to a current game on the market.

There are others I have in my research paper, I can grab it and post some of the other snippets.
I certainly won't say no to a PM with snippets -- but thank you!! This gives me a place to start :-D

I'll look em up. The entire model is really interesting to me -- and, it would be great knowledge to have for the future.

I'll be the one making the next game y'all sink thousands into ^.^

Alavastre's Avatar


Alavastre
05.07.2013 , 01:42 PM | #942
Quote: Originally Posted by Kilora View Post
Nope, I have been. Came back to this game after it went F2P (Left pre-1.3, back right arount 1.7) and immediatle re-subbed after less than an hour of Preferred.

Played Scarlet Blade (which is all naked women NPCs, btw, but pretty combat and interesting back story) and stopped playing because of the ridiculous money grabs. In order to use /shout, you have to purchase megaphones with RL$.

Started playing LotRO and stopped when I hit the first point I "needed" to spend RL$. I mean, it could certainly be me as the outlier -- I haven't seen enough information to make a claim either way. But when I see something advertised as "free" -- I run in the other direction the second I see a pricetag on something I "need" in-game. SWTOR seems to be the exception to my fears though. No idea why.
That is you, and I'm the opposite. I will pay for things I like even if it's "F2P". Why? Because nothing is free. Some one is paying for it some where. If you like something, you should support it. I did have a guild mate that bought the flash point unlock for a week. If anything the CM is expanding options. But yes, things cost money.

And if you don't pay, then you're just there to populate a game so the people who do pay enjoy it more. Either way some one is paying. I guess the point to this is that you cannot just use a blanket statement in regards to everyone, because I know that there are plenty of F2P people that are dropping cash on this game. More so once 2.1 hits.
Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. Thomas Jefferson

CosmicKat's Avatar


CosmicKat
05.07.2013 , 01:45 PM | #943
Quote: Originally Posted by Kilora View Post

For me, it's less about $ than it is about convenience. If the game was decent, I'd pay the sub fee. Otherwise, I most likely won't play it. Either way -- I'd rather pay a set amount and get everything there is to offer, like it used to be.

(Paid services aside -- I never had an issue with charging for server transfers or faction changes).
^This.

curtkram's Avatar


curtkram
05.07.2013 , 02:39 PM | #944
Quote: Originally Posted by Alavastre View Post
That is you, and I'm the opposite. I will pay for things I like even if it's "F2P". Why? Because nothing is free. Some one is paying for it some where. If you like something, you should support it. I did have a guild mate that bought the flash point unlock for a week. If anything the CM is expanding options. But yes, things cost money.

And if you don't pay, then youat there are ple're just there to populate a game so the people who do pay enjoy it more. Either way some one is paying. I guess the point to this is that you cannot just use a blanket statement in regards to everyone, because I know thnty of F2P people that are dropping cash on this game. More so once 2.1 hits.
with the f2p model, it is the developer's goal to get you to buy stuff from their market. that's how they put food on their table. There was a quote from the former CEO of EA about selling bullets at high stress time in battlefield. once they get you over the initial concern of whether you're going to pay just a little bit into the market, i doubt it's that hard for them to develop a system where you impulse buy just a little at a time until you've spent more than you would have as a subscriber. if they keep the prices low you might not realize how quick it adds up. i'm sure this is especially true with the current system, where there really is a minimum amount you have to spend as f2p to get into warzones, or flashpoints, or use artifact items, priority access when servers are full (of f2p kids on the starter planets) or whatever. you don't need all of that, but there really is a minimum to spend to make the game fun.

with the subscription only model the developers are focused on keeping you subscribed. all they have to do is make the game fun. in my opinion that model is much simpler and still better. granted the CM does expand options, but having a subscription and access to everything, instead of having to pick which bit you want, sounds a lot easier to me.

i suppose subscription + cash shop means the developers are focused on subscribers switching to f2p, since as mentioned earlier it can be more profitable and it gets you over the initial hump of impulse buying. once you start spending on unlocks, there is a fair chance you'll keep spending.

branmakmuffin's Avatar


branmakmuffin
05.07.2013 , 05:34 PM | #945
Quote: Originally Posted by Kilora View Post
Maybe they should do "super premium" -- but auto-bind all of the CM stuff to me.
I'm perfectly ok with that! :-D
Yeah, that seems like it would work (all items "bought" off the CM are BTL for this hypothetical "super premium" account).

Quote: Originally Posted by Alavastre View Post
That is you, and I'm the opposite. I will pay for things I like even if it's "F2P". Why? Because nothing is free. Some one is paying for it some where. If you like something, you should support it. I did have a guild mate that bought the flash point unlock for a week. If anything the CM is expanding options. But yes, things cost money.
When you say "If you like something, you should support it," what do you mean, exactly? Do you mean what some people say they're gonna do, buy the Cathar unlock even though they don't really like Cathar? That to me smacks of blind loyalty. Or do you mean "If you see an item on the CM you like, why not buy it? You're getting something you like and the game gets more of the support it needs to stay viable?"

My opinion is that doing former potentially rewards mediocrity.