Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why can't we get set-gear from our own ressources?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Why can't we get set-gear from our own ressources?

Khevar
04.29.2013 , 07:49 PM | #21
LarryRow, I get that you're angry about this, but is it truly necessary to attack people that disagree with you and call them "elitist"?

Here's my perspective on this:

1. I enjoyed the boon of being able to get Black Hole armorings and put them in my Tionese/Columi gear. It made gearing up my toons a snap. On my first toon, I actually managed to get a set bonus with mostly 61 gear before I got a single piece of Rakata.

2. Later I also enjoyed gearing up alts by learning the DG armoring schematic, and popping those bad boys in the free Tionese gear. My Sniper was in fully-optimized-best-in-slot without ever stepping foot in a raid.

3. When Bioware changed this for 2.0, the general theory running around was that somebody felt people were gearing up too quickly. The side effect on me personally was, "Well, I guess I'll have to do more raids"

Look, anyone can run a bunch of flashpoints, get 69 gear, and pug HM EC these days. There's a post in this very forum that describes a pug that made it all the way through Kephess containing several people that had never done EC before. This will get you Dread Guard with the set bonus.

It didn't bother me that it was easy to get top-gear before, and it doesn't bother me that it requires hard work today. I'm not cackling in some corner that all these other fools finally can't get teh berst gearz. I'm am, however, noticing that my desire to run raids increased markedly after 2.0 dropped.

I would say, "working as intended"

nateslice
04.29.2013 , 08:16 PM | #22
I was thrilled to give up my Gunslinger's Tionese set bonuses in favor of better stats. Those set bonuses weren't so hot before, and became utterly worthless in 2.0.

Now Guss is wearing that gear. He can't benefit from the set bonuses, like, at all, but that's fine with me. When you get right down to it, neither could I, really.

Oh, by the way, before you denigrate me as a bad for my lack of better gear, this character was an alt who hit 50 about ten days before Early Access to 2.0, and has only been my main for the couple of weeks since then.
Star Wars goodness from Richard Cheese:
Star Wars Cantina
The Imperial March

Khevar
04.29.2013 , 09:00 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by nateslice View Post
I was thrilled to give up my Gunslinger's Tionese set bonuses in favor of better stats. Those set bonuses weren't so hot before, and became utterly worthless in 2.0.

Illegal Mods restoring 15 energy is actually pretty terrific, both before and after 2.0. The high-dps hybrid Gunslinger has very tight energy requirements, and this can truly be a lifesaver when you have to spend most of your rotation at or above 80%.

Takedown (the execute attack) does a LOT of damage, and is an instant cast, 12s ability. The 4-piece set bonus moves Takedown close to the top of the list of "damage per point of energy" attacks.

Far from being worthless, the GS set bonus is awesome.

Wolvereen
04.29.2013 , 11:44 PM | #24
have some of you ever took a closer look to the crappy stats of the BM gear?
tank items with accuracy or alacrity as second stats? - LMFAO

i dunno why BW decided to go back to the stoneage with their decision to remove setgear from vendors O_o

even in the dinosaur WoW it's possible to buy setgear from a vendor - not the top tier, but still setgear.

it's the reward mechanic, who will keep gamers playing a MMO!
but if you get frustrated all the times instead of being rewarded, then i see no reason to pay and play swtor.

some of you said "...you can buy highest tier gear with comms" - yea, but the time i grinded my 2nd or 3rd piece, a new tier will be introduced and make the old gear obsolete.

the situation today:

- you have to grind comms and buy 6 times or more THE SAME ITEM just to rip out the one enhancement you need^^ - this is just nonsens

W

jasonthelamb
04.30.2013 , 01:37 AM | #25
Not trolling here, just being realistic.

The end-game gear is meant to be exactly for that: end game, therefore hard to get, and rewarding.

PvP relies on you to get lots of commendations by killing things and doing objectives, PvE relies on you working as a team and killing bosses.

Level 72 on both sides requires requires you play with the 'best of that side', you need to be good raiders do do TFB HM and S&V HM, and you need to be good at PvP if you want to get into pre-made ranked (since I believe you cannot queue solo for ranked, right?)

Both sides have their 'shortcut', PvE is the ultimate comms, to get non-setbonus items, and PvP is doing the weekly and daily for ranked comms, instead of stepping into ranked warzone.

If there was no incentive to do either of these (ie. the challenge of killing HM55 Kephess or being in ranked PvP), then why would people do them? If you could achieve end-game gear in non-endgame scenarios, like HM55 Athiss, nobody would ever raid - and people would just farm flashpoints that dont have lockouts.

I think your problem is that you're not in a guild - S&V SM and TFB SM groupfinder both only drop 3 pieces of token gear, and some black market- and I can see how that can be annoying, since everyone is going to need on every piece, though - with a guild, things are different, they have rules as to acquiring pieces, when you can need and when you can greed, which usually ends up with "If you didnt get something last week, you will this week."

It's not great, but it's the same system in many MMOs, I would rather have tokens that are for everyone, then (if you're from pre-EC you'll get this) seeing that damn bounty hunter mainhand drop for the one merc in the group for the nth time.

tldr; find a good guild that can get you into these places, and you'll get your gear.

Wolvereen
04.30.2013 , 02:56 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by jasonthelamb View Post
It's not great, but it's the same system in many MMOs, I would rather have tokens that are for everyone, then (if you're from pre-EC you'll get this) seeing that damn bounty hunter mainhand drop for the one merc in the group for the nth time.

tldr; find a good guild that can get you into these places, and you'll get your gear.
as i mentioned above, it's possible to buy setgear for comms in many MMOs like wow^^

but let's see, where it goes!

i think, BW will give in to the pressure of the majority sooner or later and open the setgear for comms if the ppl are whining loud enough or quit their sub! - wanna bet?

W

jasonthelamb
04.30.2013 , 03:11 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolvereen View Post
as i mentioned above, it's possible to buy setgear for comms in many MMOs like wow^^

but let's see, where it goes!

i think, BW will give in to the pressure of the majority sooner or later and open the setgear for comms if the ppl are whining loud enough or quit their sub! - wanna bet?

W
You can buy setgear items in the form of Campaign gear with Classic Comms

Wolvereen
04.30.2013 , 03:16 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by jasonthelamb View Post
You can buy setgear items in the form of Campaign gear with Classic Comms
do they have the old setbonuses?

jasonthelamb
04.30.2013 , 03:26 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolvereen View Post
do they have the old setbonuses?
Yes, but it's a set bonus, which is better than no set bonus.

Griad
04.30.2013 , 04:29 AM | #30
HM FP used to drop columi enabling you to gear up for HM through HM FP, but i have to say i agree with the majority here i am pretty happy with the new setup. Having ppl gearing up in FP made a complete mess from time to time in OPS when didnt know the bosses because they never had done SM
Elder Jedi - pre-cu jedi enforcer - pre-publish 9 dark jedi master.

Proud member of DILIH Red Eclipse