Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why can't we get set-gear from our own ressources?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Why can't we get set-gear from our own ressources?

Wolvereen
04.29.2013 , 01:41 AM | #1
it's kinda sad that we just have to rely on luck on rolling.
and the chances are quite low because every class can use the tokens.

therefore everyone will need on them because the winner can rip out the mods and use them for other slots.

with this system, I'm not entirely happy^^
you should be able to earn some set gear with comms! that would be fair

W

LarryRow
04.29.2013 , 07:27 AM | #2
I agree that the decision to gate our access to set gear was very stupid. They compounded that by having the new set-less armorings erase an existing set bonus on a tionese, columi or rakata piece.

It's like they designed it specifically to be as obnoxious and frustrating as possible.
A classic sig that should not be lost:
Quote:
Stunned , pew pew hack slash , stunned , running backward circles, stunned cannot move, pew pew, break stun, 30 second snare, wha?!?!!? stunned, knockdown, ...less stun more pew pew and hacknslash please.

steave
04.29.2013 , 09:44 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by LarryRow View Post
I agree that the decision to gate our access to set gear was very stupid. They compounded that by having the new set-less armorings erase an existing set bonus on a tionese, columi or rakata piece.

It's like they designed it specifically to be as obnoxious and frustrating as possible.
No, it's like they designed it for raiding to be rewarded. You can simply grind FPs to get similar stats, but if you want the best PVE gear, you have to do the hardest PVE content, as it should be.

rharv
04.29.2013 , 10:54 AM | #4
The reason you can not get a set bonus without raiding anymore is simple. It's what steave said. It rewards raiders with the necessary bonuses to continue completing the hardest content in the game. The set-bonus should be thought of as "raid bonus." If you are not raiding then there is no need for a set-bonus. There is no single player or even flashpoint HM that requires players to have the set-bonus: no tight enrage timers, no high burst damage tanks are taking, nothing that would require the additional benefits of raid gear.

If you want the set bonus then you can join a guild and run story mode TFB and/or SaV and receive a set-bonus from the arkanian gear. These operations are laughably easy and even a PUG should be able to clear it after a few hours of actual raiding. Heck you don't even need to figure out the strategies, they're all spelled out for you now on dulfy.net.

LarryRow
04.29.2013 , 10:56 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by steave View Post
Ultimate comms reward the same gear level as raiding, except for the bonus.
Tell me more about how easy it is to get ultimate comms if you're not raiding.

Tell me also how it would hurt you if they allowed gear sets to be purchasable. Don't forget to mention how it was negatively impacting you in 1.7

Quote:
PVP gearing can't be compared to PVE - in PvE you have to play with other people, so a long gearing process would lock you out from joining late when everyone else is already min-maxed, while in PvP you fight with bolstered gear, so you can decide to join in late and have the same (or easier with the rest of the group already geared) experience as the people that started day 1.
That paragraph needed some touching up. Now it's much easier to see how bad your argument is. Set bonuses used to be widely available to players who were doing all group content, with Tionese gear. There was no reason to remove them, certainly no reason to make new gear destroy old bonuses. Basic gear should have had a set bonus that stuck to the gear after black market, etc. gear was slotted in. If you disagree, you probably just got lucky out of the gate with rolls on arkanian drops and want something other players dont have. How mature.

Quote:
Now bring up arguments instead of personal attacks or I'll simply ignore you.
If the shoe fits...
Quote:
Stunned , pew pew hack slash , stunned , running backward circles, stunned cannot move, pew pew, break stun, 30 second snare, wha?!?!!? stunned, knockdown, ...less stun more pew pew and hacknslash please.

LarryRow
04.29.2013 , 11:06 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by rharv View Post
The reason you can not get a set bonus without raiding anymore is simple. It's what steave said. It rewards raiders with the necessary bonuses to continue completing the hardest content in the game. The set-bonus should be thought of as "raid bonus." If you are not raiding then there is no need for a set-bonus.
So what was wrong with the old system where set bonuses were obtained from flashpoint gear and comms? Exactly how did it negatively impact anyone?

Remember that level 63 gear was only obtainable from raiding (and crafters, a whole other conversation), and that's what you needed to raid NiM. Now you need level 72 gear (level 69 to start doing HM Ops). Good luck getting that without raiding.

Quote:
There is no single player or even flashpoint HM that requires players to have the set-bonus: no tight enrage timers, no high burst damage tanks are taking, nothing that would require the additional benefits of raid gear.
There is also no Flashpoint HM that requires gear obtainable with elite comms, but they still reward them.

Quote:
If you want the set bonus then you can join a guild and run story mode TFB and/or SaV and receive a set-bonus from the arkanian gear. These operations are laughably easy and even a PUG should be able to clear it after a few hours of actual raiding. Heck you don't even need to figure out the strategies, they're all spelled out for you now on dulfy.net.
If they're as easy as you say - and I agree they are pretty easy - then the set bonus is hardly a big deal and should be purchasable with comms instead of relying on rng. I'm glad we can agree on that point at least.
Quote:

GeckoOBac
04.29.2013 , 11:07 AM | #7
There is one problem with this reasoning though (plus one debatable point):
The set bonuses are, for many classes, required to be somewhat playable. They often are not just stat buffs, but actual changes in the way you play your class.

Also, it's somewhat stupid that you have to raid to acquire the bonus that, following your reasoning, should allow you to raid in the first place.

I'd say, give everybody the "mechanical" set bonuses and add to the raiding sets some passive stat buffs and tune content to take advantage of those.
Light Knights: Gecko - Syed - Vor'sann - Joya
Nightmare's Legion: Anhess - Avilus - Wittard - Schroedinger

mastirkal
04.29.2013 , 11:47 AM | #8
The old system was gear was predetermined which class could use it. Making it so some classes could hear up rather quickly while others ha to wait on even more luck for items to drop. The argument that Rollin for gear is unfair is less unfair then when gear was predetermined for classes. If your guild doesn't have a way to hand out gear fairly, or you rely on raiding with pugs you're already shooting yourself in the foot.

Going on a story mode raid is not hard as long as you know your class and the bosses. HM FP are there to get you ready for story mode raid operations, story mode is there to get you ready for hard mode operations. Then later hard mode to nightmare mode etc.

Larry calm down, your personal attacks are unsightly and yes I have reported you for acting out so much.

LarryRow
04.29.2013 , 11:56 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by mastirkal View Post
Larry calm down, your personal attacks are unsightly and yes I have reported you for acting out so much.
Then you need to work on your reading comprehension. I critiqued his comment (not him) and offered some friendly advice.

The rest of your comment fails, not surprisingly, to address what exactly the problem was with set bonuses on widely available gear (probably because there was no problem). Bioware has taken something away from the players and I have to wonder of the motivation of the people who approve. Right now my working theory is that they (you?) like having something other players don't. They get their feelings of superiority from a video game, which is pathetic.

Until there is an explanation provided for how set bonuses on easily obtained gear damages the game or the players who are raiding current hard modes, I have no choice but to stick with this theory.
Quote:

Krazy_Karl
04.29.2013 , 12:08 PM | #10
Let's break this down:

1. There is not a single HM Flashpoint encounter that requires the set bonus for any class.
2. The commendations awarded from doing such things do not result in you obtaining the set bonus.
3. There is not a single SM Operation encounter that requires the set bonus for any class.
4. There is a "chance" for you to obtain the set bonus by completing such things, as these instances are designed to prepare you for HM Operations.
5. HM Operations require (for most average players) the set bonus for most classes.
6. There is a "chance" for you to obtain the higher level set bonus by completing such things, as the next instance requires the highest level gear.

Bioware designed the gearing in such a way that you work your way through each tier as the level of content prepares you for the next. It is a design decision to make it so you cannot go from HM Flashpoint and SM Operations directly to the highest tier of gear (which is what you are asking for).

Frankly, all of the current content can be done using full 61/63 set bonus armorings and do not require the 69/72 set bonus armorings. Your demands for this gear to be handed out to you on a silver platter (purchased) is ridiculous. Despite what you seem to think, you don't need it right now. And you probably won't ever need it as anyone who needs to rely on overgearing the content to complete it should never set foot in a HM/NiM Operation. You have SM Operations which are puggable for average and mediocre players. Stick to that, and leave the "raiding" gear to the players who actually need it.

You have already reached the ceiling of your capacities, and gear is not going to help you, even if it was purchasable.

Regards,
KK
Try not. Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda