Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Slavery in Star Wars


XantosCledwin's Avatar


XantosCledwin
04.28.2013 , 03:21 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by zzoorrzz View Post
Slaves are cheap for their versatility. Maybe u could have droids to do 1 kind of work cheaper (maybe), but it would be significantly more expensive to create droids as versatile as slaves.
I could be wrong, but it seems to me that R2-D2 is pretty darn versatile, and where there are things he can't do, C-3PO picks up the slack...

I mean for droids that basically serve as Astronavigation Computers in their primary capacity, Astromech Droids sure have a crap ton of alternative functions built into their bodies.... I mean wouldn't it be cheaper just to build an Astronavigation Computer and install it into your spaceship instead of having it on what amounts to a glorified external floppy?
The Cledwin Legacy of the Shadowlands Server
Fanfiction Author Profile

AlexDougherty's Avatar


AlexDougherty
04.28.2013 , 04:04 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by XantosCledwin View Post
I mean for droids that basically serve as Astronavigation Computers in their primary capacity, Astromech Droids sure have a crap ton of alternative functions built into their bodies.... I mean wouldn't it be cheaper just to build an Astronavigation Computer and install it into your spaceship instead of having it on what amounts to a glorified external floppy?
The reason for this according to Star Wars was that the republic in olden days built a fleet of ships which were computer only (no astromech) and it (fleet) disappeared (until to new rupblic era anyway). Apparantly it was felt that having astromechs reduced to possibility of a system error destroying the ship, pretty bad reasoning for the most part, multiple computers with AI software would probably do better.
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.

XantosCledwin's Avatar


XantosCledwin
04.28.2013 , 04:11 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexDougherty View Post
The reason for this according to Star Wars was that the republic in olden days built a fleet of ships which were computer only (no astromech) and it (fleet) disappeared (until to new rupblic era anyway). Apparantly it was felt that having astromechs reduced to possibility of a system error destroying the ship, pretty bad reasoning for the most part, multiple computers with AI software would probably do better.
or you know, they could just invent a slipstream drive and do away with the astromech's and nav computers entirely... I mean really, if Hyperspace is that complicated that it requires an external drive on the space ship, why not just have the human component do the navigation? Afterall the human brain is a crap ton more powerful than any computer. I mean isn't that what Han Solo does?
The Cledwin Legacy of the Shadowlands Server
Fanfiction Author Profile

legolegion's Avatar


legolegion
04.28.2013 , 04:19 AM | #14
Probaly becuase they can, as people like to have power over others.
Slavery still exsit in the world today, for that reason power.

XantosCledwin's Avatar


XantosCledwin
04.28.2013 , 04:23 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by legolegion View Post
Probaly becuase they can, as people like to have power over others.
Slavery still exsit in the world today, for that reason power.
eh, slavery exists in our world on multiple levels. In a way we are all slaves. The term Wage Slave is not simply a metaphor.
The Cledwin Legacy of the Shadowlands Server
Fanfiction Author Profile

AlexDougherty's Avatar


AlexDougherty
04.28.2013 , 04:39 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by XantosCledwin View Post
or you know, they could just invent a slipstream drive and do away with the astromech's and nav computers entirely... I mean really, if Hyperspace is that complicated that it requires an external drive on the space ship, why not just have the human component do the navigation? Afterall the human brain is a crap ton more powerful than any computer. I mean isn't that what Han Solo does?
No, Han uses the astronavigation computer to plot the course, the millenium falcon is one of the few ships in Star Wars not to use an astromech droid. Also the bit about the human brain being more powerful than a computer isn't really accurate either, a computer can do thousands of calculations per second, and can churn through complex math like it was nothing, human brains can't do that. But we can be creative, and we can redefine things so solutions become available, which computers can't do, and even droids struggle with this (with the exception of R2D2).

About the slavery, It's just a way of showing how the various empires and the hutts are evil. Yes, droids are more practical, and droids can service other droids, and power is very cheap in Star Wars, but Slavery shows a culture is EVIL, nobody gets tearful if a droid is worked to death.
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
04.28.2013 , 04:43 AM | #17
Consider this, you conquer a planet - say, Kashyyyk or Ryloth - all of a sudden you've got millions of able-bodied people on your hands. Instead of assimilating them into the population, which would involve suppressing rebellions etc. why not enslave them and set them to work building infrastructure on that planet? Or on other worlds? Have them build a Death Star?

This is the reason slavery happens, war-mongering civilizations conquer planets and as an added bonus get a free supply of labor. Its only logical to enslave the population, unless of course you have morals or something.

For example when the Separatists conquered Kiros they found themselves in possession of 50,000 Togrutans who they quickly handed over to the Zygerrian Slaver's Guild. This easy acquisition of labor that has self populated the entire galaxy makes slavery cheap and effective especially for a war mongering power such as the Galactic Empire which is conquering a subjugating planets on a regular basis.

On the other hand droids are not so freely available, they have to be manufactured which requires resources and factories and in some cases workers. Yes slaves have to be fed etc. but droids have to be powered. The difference being that slaves are free to acquire, while droids cost money. And if you don't enslave the biologicals you have to spend money on crazy things like welfare and housing.

Given this the labor market is going to be more heavily populated with biologicals rather than droids. A greater supply will drive the price down, while droids being more exclusive will naturally be more expensive. So anyone looking to purchase a worker and lacking in any morals will naturally opt for the cheaper biological slave option.

XantosCledwin's Avatar


XantosCledwin
04.28.2013 , 04:46 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexDougherty View Post
No, Han uses the astronavigation computer to plot the course, the millenium falcon is one of the few ships in Star Wars not to use an astromech droid. Also the bit about the human brain being more powerful than a computer isn't really accurate either, a computer can do thousands of calculations per second, and can churn through complex math like it was nothing, human brains can't do that. But we can be creative, and we can redefine things so solutions become available, which computers can't do, and even droids struggle with this (with the exception of R2D2).

About the slavery, It's just a way of showing how the various empires and the hutts are evil. Yes, droids are more practical, and droids can service other droids, and power is very cheap in Star Wars, but Slavery shows a culture is EVIL, nobody gets tearful if a droid is worked to death.
You do realize that the human brain is essentially the equivalent of a 1,680,000 MHz Processor? Possibly more... The worlds highest clock speed in computers sits right around a 3.6 GHz Dual Core. 3.6 GHz is basically 3,600 MHz even doubled that is nowhere close to what the human brain is capable of. So I think the Human brain has a higher clock speed than a computer. We cannot actually calculate the processing power of the brain though.

Even if we go out on a leap and assume that computers in Star Wars have vastly superior clock speeds than computers in our world (which need not necessarily be the case seeing as how a large chunk of the tech in Star Wars is absolutely dated by our standards), that still does not necessarily mean that it comes anywhere close to approaching the processing speed of a Human brain. In fact the only Sci Fi tech I have ever seen with such processing capabilities, is Commander Data's Positronic Brain.
The Cledwin Legacy of the Shadowlands Server
Fanfiction Author Profile

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
04.28.2013 , 04:50 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by XantosCledwin View Post
or you know, they could just invent a slipstream drive and do away with the astromech's and nav computers entirely... I mean really, if Hyperspace is that complicated that it requires an external drive on the space ship, why not just have the human component do the navigation? Afterall the human brain is a crap ton more powerful than any computer. I mean isn't that what Han Solo does?
Astromechs are primarily for repair, maintenance and slicing. They only operate as nav computer substitutes for starfighters which are too small to have one fitted.

Oh and they do have what you stated, its called a hyperlane. However you still need a navigation computer to choose your destination and which hyperlanes your going to follow.

XantosCledwin's Avatar


XantosCledwin
04.28.2013 , 04:53 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Astromechs are primarily for repair, maintenance and slicing. They only operate as nav computer substitutes for starfighters which are too small to have one fitted.

Oh and they do have what you stated, its called a hyperlane. However you still need a navigation computer to choose your destination and which hyperlanes your going to follow.
eh, no, Hyperlane is not Slipstream by any stretch of the imagination. Slipstream as defined by the Andromeda series is basically a psuedo-sentient parallel universe that allows for faster than light travel, but which rejects logic and thus cannot be navigated by a computer in any way.

Also, when was the last time you saw Hyperlane allow for travel backwards in time?
The Cledwin Legacy of the Shadowlands Server
Fanfiction Author Profile