Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Rise of the Black Sun

YoshiRaphElan
07.07.2013 , 01:48 PM | #41
Chapter 33

Prudii threw himself at the enemies, still getting used to his cybernetic arm. Swinging his metal fist, he smashed in a Chagrian's nose, then turned and swept his rifle, killing three enforcers and a Dread Master slave. Kephess' Trandoshans swept through the throngs of Republic and Imperial forces, tearing apart soldiers, Jedi, and Sith. Force lightning and blaster bolts flew; vibroblades and lightsabers swung.

Prudii grunted, tripped over a fallen battle droid, and fell face-first onto the ground. He found himself staring at green armored boots, and he looked up. Elara glanced down, saw him, and even though she had a helmet on he could tell her eyes widened. He stumbled to his feet.

"Prudii?" she gaped.

He nodded. "In the flesh, darling. I'll explain later. Jorgan's down. He's hurt bad."

"I'm on it, sir."

She sprinted by, firing her blaster. Prudii fired from the hip, cutting down another two troops. He swung his rifle, smashing it upside the head of a Trandoshan. The alien fell and Prudii's rifle shattered. With a groan Prudii leaned down and picked up another weapon from the many on the ground. He fired, but the rifle clicked–empty!–and he threw it down, jumping forward just before a tossed vibroknife shaved above his head. Wincing, he picked up another weapon and fired. This one worked.

Jasin came up behind him, lightsaber sweeping. News must have been sweeping over the comm channels, because the Jedi betrayed no surprise at seeing Prudii. Then again, maybe he'd just sensed him in the Force.

"Good to see you're alive," Jasin said with a grin.

"Good to be alive," Prudii agreed.

Together, they stood, back-to-back, firing and slashing, for a solid five minutes. Droves of enemies fell, corpses of allies and foes piling up around them so many that the enemies had to climb over to get at them. Prudii fired up, dropping another one.

"I need to get to Kephess," Jasin said.

Prudii nodded. "Comlink."

Jasin dug into his pocket and handed one to Prudii. Prudii fired another shot and then activated the communications device.

"Havoc Squad, give Master Jasin covering fire," he ordered.

"Roger that," Jorgan groaned.

"By the way, good to have you back, sir," said Tanno.

"Thanks. Prudii out."

Jasin Force-leapt over the pile of bodies. Prudii clambered on top and fired a few shots, taking down enemies that were headed for the Jedi. Then, without hesitation, Prudii leapt from the pile and sprinted after Jasin.

Gareb sensed Jasin going toward Kephess and moved that way, Qyzen and Zenith covering him. He Force-pushed, knocking back a team of enemies moving to cut him off. He had a clear shot at Kephess. Jasin had already reached the large Trandoshan and was now engaging him. Even as Gareb reached the Undying warrior, Methic and Dha leapt in, too.

Gareb ripped a tree from its roots and hurled it at Kephess. Kephess rolled aside just as the tree reached him, and the branches grazed him, tearing gaps in his flesh. Qyzen snarled and leapt at Kephess, Trandoshan to Trandoshan. But Gareb saw they couldn't do it alone. Pulling out his comlink, he tuned it for all Republic channels.

"We need reinforcements!" he said.

Dankin winced as the comlink crackled and Gareb's voice came over. It only took Dankin a moment to find him; there, fighting Kephess at the foot of the trail.

"Bowdaar!" he said. "Corso, Akaavi! Come on, let's go!"

Bowdaar roared with glee and charged out, his arms and vibrosword sweeping the enemies aside. Akaavi closed in behind him. When Dankin was ten meters from the engagement, he threw down his energy shield and ducked behind it. He fired both pistols at the Trandoshan.

Merok moved to the top of the mountain looking down over the fight. He crawled down onto his belly, training his rifle on Kephess. He'd only get one shot at this. He tapped out a signal over the comlink, and Kaliyo tapped back a reply. She led Vector and a squad of Oroboro Killiks over to take on Kephess. Merok frowned. Now every major player in the battle was engaging Kephess, save for one.

Where was Darth Nox?

He decided he really didn't want to know.

Jasin's lightsaber spun, smashing against Kephess' vibrosword. This blasted alien really was invincible! They'd scored wounds across his arms, legs, chest, and even face, but still Kephess refused to die. Enraged, the powerful Trandoshan was fighting with all his might, pushing back even Jasin.

Rocks thrown by Gareb and blaster bolts fired by others smashed into Kephess. The alien was limping forward now, but he was still moving. Jasin raised his blade for a killing blow, but Kephess backhanded him, sending him flying a good three meters. Lying on the ground, Jasin watched as Qyzen roared and sunk his powerful teeth into Kephess' arm. Kephess groaned, pulled away, and bellowed out in rage as his arm stayed in Qyzen's teeth. Taking advantage of the moment, Bowdaar charged, ramming his shoulders into Kephess' gut. The alien fell.

Jasin rolled to his feet, panting. He Force-pulled his lightsaber to him and started forward. Kephess grabbed Dha, threw him, and then did the same to Akaavi. How could one being be so powerful?

And then, a wall of Force lightning, more powerful than any Jasin had encountered, save the Emperor's, slammed into Kephess' chest. The alien roared in agony and fell to the ground.

Methic looked up in surprise as Darth Nox surged forward, lightning pouring from his fingertips. When had the Twi'lek arrived? And why would he intervene now? No matter; it was time to finish the fight. Leaping forward, Methic spun both lightsabers at Kephess, severing his other arm. The alien shrieked and roared. But he was defenseless.

And then suddenly there was a rocking explosion that sent every combatant to their knees.

Methic tried to get up. He really did. But the agony...the agony. There was a subsonic hum vibrating deep in his skull and breastbone, and he could see that everyone else was feeling it too. And then, a Dread Guard stepped from the shadows.

"You will not take the Masters' vessel," he growled. He lifted Kephess' injured body with the Force and pulled him away.

And a blaster bolt shot through the air, blowing the Dread Guard's head off his shoulders. The agony stopped, but Methic still couldn't move; he was too busy being relieved. Kephess, on the other hand, spent no time running away as fast as possible. Jasin leapt to his feet.

"I'll get him!"

Merok sighed. He fired a few more blaster bolts at Kephess, but the Trandoshan was too far away. Well, so much for that. He'd been ready to kill the Trandoshan when the Dread Guard had come out, forcing him to change his plan. Well, it was over now, and he had new orders.

"All Republic forces," said Supreme Commander Malcom over the comlink, "round up the Black Sun prisoners. The battle is over and the Imperials have agreed to a ceasefire as long as we give them the Black Sun's captured Imperials back as a gesture of good faith. We will leave Belsavis and the ceasefire will stay in effect until we have both returned to our respective capitols. Good work, men. Supreme Commander Malcom, out."

Standing, Merok prepared to take a lot of prisoners.

YoshiRaphElan
07.08.2013 , 01:18 PM | #42
Chapter 34

Jasin dogged Kephess through the vaults, slashing away trees when they got in his way and animals that attacked him. He would not lose the Trandoshan. He pushed his way forward. Kephess came to a stop in the middle of a huge clearing. There was nothing as far as the eye could see save for water, and the cliff face that signaled the end of the dome in the distance.

"You're trapped," Jasin said. "Surrender, Kephess."

Kephess turned and looked at Jasin. There was madness in his eyes, and he looked like he would die at any moment. With both arms gone, he was leaning awkwardly forward. His armored chestplate was gray and smoking, slashed and shot to pieces. Scar tissue covered his entire face. His jaw sagged.

"I...will not...surrender," he growled.

Jasin heard a rumble, and he took a step back. A ship rose from the water behind Kephess. An Imperial ship, it had the symbol of the Dread Masters painted on the side. Jasin felt his blood run cold. Kephess turned, jumped onto a large boulder behind him, and then took a leap toward the ship. Jasin hissed and leapt onto the rock after Kephess, and then shoved off with the Force, flying after Kephess.

The Trandoshan landed on the top of the ship. Jasin landed behind him. A hatch opened in front of Kephess, and two Dread Guards stepped out of the ship. Kephess entered, leaving Jasin behind. The Dread Guards snapped their lightsabers to life and charged. Jasin ducked under the blade of the first guard, while blocking the blade of the second. He kicked out, sending the second one stumbling back, and then slashed at the first guard. The guard blocked his blow, and Jasin slashed three times in quick succession, each blocked by the guard. Then Jasin reversed the grip on his saber and back-stabbed the second guard, who had been coming up behind him. In an equally fast move, he ripped the lightsaber from the guard's chest and decapitated the other.

Then he entered the Dread Masters' ship.

The ship was cold. Jasin shuddered as he dropped down into the hallway. It was dark in here, and frost lined the walls. He took a cautious step forward, and then another. He reached out, probing the ship with the Force. He sensed Kephess' distinctive presence down the hall. He followed.

His lightsaber cast a silver-blue glow through the hall. The walls were tinted blue, and the symbol of the Dread Masters was painted every few meters. Jasin felt darkness in here. Powerful darkness.

He stepped into the room where Kephess was. Inside, it was larger than it should have been. The walls were lined with trophies; dozens of them. From lightsabers to blasters, Mandalorian helmets to ancient Sith breastplates, holocrons to scrolls...it was all here. And at the end of the room, Kephess sagged on the ground, tired. He could no longer run. But Jasin glanced up, and the walls behind the Trandoshan opened.

Five Sith stepped into the room.

Jasin and his allies had already killed one of the Dread Masters. But the others were bent on revenge, on making the Jedi who'd slain their fallen brother pay for what they'd done. Styrak had been a tough foe to defeat, even with backup. Jasin knew he couldn't face the other five alone.

"At last you come to us," Raptus said.

"Not willingly," Jasin replied.

"But you still come," Bestia rasped.

"You come," continued Tyrans, "to die."

"No," Jasin said. "I came to kill Kephess. But I will fight you instead, if I must."

"You will lose," Brontes said.

"Perhaps. But I'll take at least one of you with me."

"And what good would that do?" Raptus asked. "One of us fallen, but with you dead the Republic loses its greatest chance of victory."

"The Republic will prevail," Jasin said. "With or without me."

He took a step forward, his lightsaber clasped tightly in his right hand. Raptus took a step forward and blasted Force lightning at Jasin. Raising his lightsaber, the Jedi deflected the energy into the ground.

"I fought the Emperor," Jasin said. "I defeated him. I may not defeat all of you but I can protect myself."

The door behind Jasin slid open. Taking a risk, Jasin whirled. Scourge stepped through, lightsaber gripped in his hand. Jasin frowned. How had Scourge...?

"It is time," Raptus said.

Scourge nodded. "Yes, my lord."

He lunged–at Jasin.

Jasin jumped aside, shock making his body tremble. How could this be? Scourge had been his most faithful ally for over a year now! They'd defeated the Emperor together; why would Scourge ally himself with the Dread Masters?

Dropping to his knees, Jasin swept his lightsaber at Scourge's knees. The Sith leapt over the blade and brought his hilt down on Jasin's head. Jasin rolled aside before the blow could land. He Force pushed, knocking Scourge away and shattering many display cases. Jasin lifted the glass shards and hurled them at Scourge. The red-skinned Sith casually blew them aside with the Force.

Jasin's knees buckled as Scourge lashed out. Another blow, and another, took Jasin aback and knocked his saber wide. Soon, he knew, he'd lose his grip on the weapon. When had Scourge become so powerful? How?

Scourge brought his lightsaber down again, and Jasin brought his own blade up. The energy blades locked. Jasin looked at Scourge in the eye; Scourge glared down at Jasin. The Sith sneered.

"Know your true foes," Scourge said.

The words lodged themselves in Jasin's mind and he stood there, confused, while Scourge pressed his lightsaber down farther. And abruptly, Jasin understood.

Taking a risk, he disengaged himself from Scourge's lightsaber, leaving himself open to a killing blow–and hurled his lightsaber across the room at the Dread Masters. His guess was correct; as soon as he did so, Scourge leapt into action, his lightsaber sweeping for Tyrans' head.

The Dread Masters reacted instantly. Raptus reached out with the Force, grabbed Jasin's lightsaber, and snapped the hilt in half. Jasin winced. That's another saber... Jasin thought ruefully. He did not have time to react to the attack, and Raptus and Brontes Force-blasted him across the room. As he flew, he thought he saw a glint of glowing blue standing by one of the cases...

Orgus?

He rolled that direction, grunting in pain. He landed right beside one of the smashed cases. He pulled himself up. And there, to his surprise, sat the lightsaber once used by his long-gone Master. Orgus' lightsaber! How had the Dread Masters gotten it? Jasin gripped the hilt, ignited the blade, and basked in the glorious, deep blue. Then he leapt into action.

The lightsaber swept with unbelievable speed, as if Orgus were guiding Jasin's arm. The Dread Masters blocked his blows, if only barely. He swept the blade, letting himself fall into the flow of the Force. He didn't even realize the battle was over until he was standing in the middle of the room, panting. Sweat matted his hair down, making it a mess, unrulier than usual. The Dread Masters were all on the ground with Kephess, groaning. None of them were dead, Jasin saw, but they all had stab- and slash-wounds on their torsos, and one of them–Calphayus–had both of his legs chopped off at the knees. Scourge, kneeling, holding a wound in his side, stood and walked over to Jasin.

"Come on," Jasin said. "Let's get out of here, fast."

Scourge nodded. "Lead the way."

"Go if you want, Jedi," Raptus snarled. "But you...cannot...go back to what you were. Our ship...has left Belsavis' atmosphere...it is too late...your former life is over."

"I'll find my way back to the Republic," Jasin said. "And then we'll stop you."

He and Scourge turned, found the escape pods, and blasted off. Floating in space, Belsavis a mere speck in the distance, they sat there, staring at each other.

"How did you gain the Dread Masters' trust?" Jasin asked.

"It was simple," Scourge replied. "After Styrak's death, I presented myself to them, explaining my intention to betray you. From there, I simply gave them information that was just correct enough to be proven reliable. When you began to chase Kephess, they summoned me to their ship, saying it was time."

"So you didn't tell me about this plan because...?"

"Because your surprise had to be genuine," Scourge replied, "your hurt real."

Jasin nodded. "Well done, Scourge. If it weren't for you I might not be alive right now."

"Always a pleasure to betray a Jedi," Scourge replied, the corner of his mouth curling into a small grin.

Jasin walked over to the control panel and programmed their destination. Scourge frowned over his shoulder.

"Wait...that's not in Republic space," he said.

"No," Jasin replied. "No, right now I have to follow my vision. We're not going back to the Republic. We're going to find Revan...strap down. Our next stop is Lehon, Rakata Prime...the Unknown World."

Gareb stood, staring up into the sky. Kira walked up beside him, frowning.

"Jasin never returned," she said. "Do you think he's...?"

"No," Gareb replied with a smile. "No, my cousin is alive and well. But I sense it will be some time...quite some time...before we see him again."

He put his arm around his cousin-in-law's shoulder.

"Come," he said, "we have a Republic to protect."

END

Adwynyth
07.09.2013 , 08:10 AM | #43
*raucous applause*

And an official:

SQUEE
Horrendously bad fan fiction: Sith in a Pretty Dress

YoshiRaphElan
07.09.2013 , 12:17 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by Adwynyth View Post
*raucous applause*

And an official:

SQUEE
*Takes bow*

Thank you, thank you!

So, to all my readers out there, what do you want to see from my next story? Is there any specific resolutions you'd like to see (aside from the obvious, big plot-points)? Any character team-ups?

Either way, I will likely be doing a few stories based around single characters (like the ones in my sig) for a while, while I prepare for my next big fic. I will likely be waiting to see the resolution on the Dread Masters arc in-game before I post my next big one, because I don't want to kill them off in my fic and have them die differently in-game, or have them alive in my fic after they should be dead via in-game timeline. But there will be more coming, just tell me what you want to see.