Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Seeker droid green circle = distance?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Seeker droid green circle = distance?

TheIronMonkey
04.27.2013 , 08:33 AM | #1
Ok, I will ask. I searched around but can't find a thing.

After you deploy the seeker, and you get the circle with the green indicator, what do they mean?

Half circle = close? or Far? I also get 1/4 circle and even smaller one.

Trying to use logic, I thought half circle was something very close, ie, near you, vs the smaller green indicators to be farther away. I keep working on that theory, but in the end it almost seems random in relation to what I find. I usually put on a boost when I search, not sure if that makes a big difference.

Any info or links welcome.
I don't know if this is a Sith thing, but at the beginning of every game conversation my first thought is "You are so dead"...

Moestuin
04.27.2013 , 09:12 AM | #2
When you use no booster or the green one, the circle is always half and it points to the general direction where the item is. I always listen to the sound it makes when the scanning ring appears as it seems to get higher as you get closer to the item.

If you pop a blue booster then the closer you get to the item, the smaller the scanning circle becomes. It can lock onto the item better as you get closer to it, giving you a more precise directional location.

Cleet_Xia
04.27.2013 , 10:05 AM | #3
The width of the filled in portion of the arc indicates range to the sonar target.

Narrow = far away
Wide = close

Also , the results of the sonar probe are based on the location where the seeker droid was deployed, not where your toon is standing at the time.
~Master Telagtun Telag of Lord Calypho~

PepiDeto
04.27.2013 , 12:07 PM | #4
What do you mean by wide or narrow? To me they all look the same. It is always half circle and always the same width. So I have no idea what u are talking about. Can you please clarify better as I am also having problems understanding how to use this. It takes me hours to find the seeds and when I finally do it was because I teamed up with someone and they stumbled across it.
Master Pepi Deto
Patriarch - Deto Legacy
Level 50 Jedi Sentinel

Jenzali
05.06.2013 , 02:50 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by PepiDeto View Post
What do you mean by wide or narrow? To me they all look the same. It is always half circle and always the same width. So I have no idea what u are talking about. Can you please clarify better as I am also having problems understanding how to use this. It takes me hours to find the seeds and when I finally do it was because I teamed up with someone and they stumbled across it.
You only get the half-circles if you use the MK-II enhancers.
Dashto Vant - Arsenal Mercenary - The most dashing bounty hunter in the galaxy.

Cleet_Xia
05.06.2013 , 02:30 PM | #6
When the scan completes you'll see a pair of concentric rings round your toon.

1) if the scan doesn't find anything, both rings turn red & blink a few times

2) if the scan detects something in range, both rings turn green. And a portion of the space between the two rings will also be filled in by solid green. The size of this solid green portion varies based on distance to the buried object.
The solid green portion also indicates which direction it is to the buried object, and which portion of the scan was blocked by the buried buried object. So, as the droid is deployed closer to the buried target, the green arc grows wider.

When the scan reads 180 degrees the buried target is less than 5 meters from where you deployed the seeker droid. Male body type 2 is roughly 2 meters tall - so the buried object is VERY close to where you deployed the droid, when you see this wide arc.
~Master Telagtun Telag of Lord Calypho~

dinwitt
05.06.2013 , 04:00 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Cleet_Xia View Post
The size of this solid green portion varies based on distance to the buried object.
The solid green portion also indicates which direction it is to the buried object, and which portion of the scan was blocked by the buried buried object. So, as the droid is deployed closer to the buried target, the green arc grows wider.
I agree that when using the prototype booster the width varies, but I disagree on how it does so. I'm able to craft these so I run with them on constantly, and in all my experience the circle gets narrower the closer you get.

TheIronMonkey
05.15.2013 , 06:18 PM | #8
The discrepancy is why I asked.

On a true sonar (real life), if the object is farther the marker would be narrow, and when the target is close it widens up. But that doesn't mean that is how BW implemented it. They could have gone with "a smaller marker denotes a smaller distance" argument,

I have been following the "narrow arc means farther" and have been able to find targets in 2 or 3 casts. So when the arc is wider I cast right by me. This is another contention point : people seem sure the arc relates tot he droid position, but it always shows around you, even if you move between the cast and the appearance of the rings. So I started doing what some people said, after the cast, when dig starts, move tot he droids location. That way the droid and your position are the same. It doesn't seem to improve the location rate.

I have another theory : I don't think the items are on the ground before you cast. It is possible that as you enter a zone, the droids detects the active area. Then, each time you cast, a random % hit rate is applied to your dig, which decides if you "hit" or not. This explains how consecutive digs at one spot can give items or not. And how I get a seed in one area while somebody else gets one a few meters away. It could be we are just playing random dice.
I don't know if this is a Sith thing, but at the beginning of every game conversation my first thought is "You are so dead"...

Thundergulch
05.16.2013 , 03:18 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Cleet_Xia View Post
Also , the results of the sonar probe are based on the location where the seeker droid was deployed, not where your toon is standing at the time.
Are you certain of this?
The text says: "....from your present location" so I would think it's from where you are standing when it was deployed.

KennethHoover
05.16.2013 , 07:28 PM | #10
I wish we could get a definitive answer on this. I could use the seeker droid better if I knew the protocol.
"I need an Ewok to fetch me coffee and donuts."

My professional writing blog: http://kennethmarkhoover.me