Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Situational Awareness: improve your Unranked WZ experience

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP

Jayshames
04.29.2013 , 08:18 AM | #41
Personally I don't think you can teach anyone these things. It's purely down to when you realise you should stop playing team deathmatch and actually focus on aiding your team or trying to win.

I'm not going to lie, I have my games where I feel like topping damage or objectives or protection etc etc, but that's only to have a change from trying for wins all the time.

Quote:
6 teammates fighting 1-2 enemies on an objective. Leaves 5-6 enemies heading to your other objective.
This is the most annoying thing for me. You call 2snow or something and then you look at map and 6 of your team are powering towards you.
Not to be big headed or anything but I am very aware of situations like this, I'll do my best to break off from the group when enemies are thinning out.
Which brings me to another point. Let's use Novare Coast as an example. Say 7 of your team go mid and 7 of the enemy goes mid. After a fight ensues you realise (at least you anyway) there's like 6 of you still attacking 1-2 pushing mid. By this point i'll break off to west (or east) or at least make sure to check on it. Though, the 5 still at mid continue to beat on the 1-2 people pushing at mid. Then when side gets capped all you see is "***?!!? call??!?"
If you fail to notice there's 5 of you killing 1-2 people there's a slim chance you're going to notice a call either way.

Anyways just my 2c

kamikrazy
04.29.2013 , 09:50 AM | #42
Ancient Hypergates: Don't feed the enemy team.

Huttball: Never mez the ballcarrier. They can't be pulled or knocked back if they're white-barred.

Astarica
04.29.2013 , 11:01 AM | #43
If your class do not have a disengagement skill then you absolutely should kill the 1 guy you see first when you have 5 guys around him. Even in general it's often faster to kill the 1 guy so you get Sprint back on than attempting to slowly walk to where you're needed. Being in combat is effectively a 30% snare and the easiest way to get rid of it is killing the one guy that put your 5 guys in combat.

A disengagement skill would be like the roll, force speed, or predation, anything that allows you continue to your objective at full speed without killing the 1 guy in between. But not every class has these skills, and for the classes without they're better off killing the guy first.

islander
04.29.2013 , 11:26 AM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by Exzileforgotten View Post
Sticky this beautiful thread.
This. I am commenting here to make sure I subscribe to it. I'm sure I'll learn something.
Gžllies Erimosi, Imperial Deadeye
<Hex> Prophecy of the Five

Ottoattack
04.29.2013 , 02:41 PM | #45
I am by no means a pro, but here are a couple of things that do help significantly:

- If you have 2 nodes in NC and CW, you should maintain 2 defenders on each node.

- If you have 1 node in NC and CW, you should limit defending to 1 defender, because it is not very likely enemies will try to take a third node if they have 2. An extra attacker should be useful if your team is on the offense.

- In CW, transporter to side nodes is much faster than middle node. You are better off attacking a side node when enemies re-spawn then alternate to middle.

- In VS and if you are the attacker, you NEVER EVER want to send you entire team on one door, because enemies will respond by having 7 defenders. GL killing all 7 defenders at the same time. You want minimum 2 attackers at each door and alternate attacking the doors trying to confuse the defender team of where they need to be.

- Same applies for NC and CW, if you send 7 attackers on one node enemies will respond by having 6-7 defenders at the node. Wiping them all will be near impossible.

- 2 defenders in HG is paramount, especially if your team is already winning. Extra 50-100K damage in score board is pointless if you lose.

- in HG, stealth should attempt to take node solo at least once around 45 sec to closing portal. If there are 2 defenders do not waste your time. Go middle.

- HB, if you are on the offense make sure you are standing AHEAD of the ball carrier not beside or behind him/her. You want to give him/her pass options.

- HB, on the defense, in a most situations priority is to attack enemies ahead of ball carrier. If the ball carrier has no one ahead of him to pass to he/she will not make it all the way on his/her own to the goal line before dying.

- Tanks are not in the WZ to dps. Please use guard, primary on healer, but can be used to whoever is in 15m proximity.

- Sins, juggs and PT. Please use taunts. And no, you do not need to be a tank.

- Marauders/sentinels use preditation/transcendence at start of battle. No you do not want to use it for zen.

- Unless you are 1 of 2 to 3 defenders left, you should not use your defensive cool downs below 40% HP.

KillaDeuce
04.30.2013 , 09:48 PM | #46
Updated with more organization and content.

Thanks for the input. If I missed something please repost. Think general circumstances. Not to detailed and technical.
Charric - sniper - POT5 / Bastion
Verbšl - PT - POT5 / Bastion

smilingbee
08.12.2013 , 01:33 PM | #47
Thread necro, but for a good cause. This needs more visibility, judging from all the terrible moves I have seen done in PvP today. Great tips, I even learned a few things myself. I 5 starred you.

I would like to comment on the part about never leaving a healer as a defender because they should be healing the group. In a few instances (Voidstar defense, huttball) having 4-5 healers is not really an issue, but beyond that it becomes a handicap, especially those who don't know how to off-dps enemy healers and throw some ranged moves to help out on damage. In the case that there are 2 other strong dedicated healers, or 3 healers that dps a little, the need is generally greater for an extra dps with the group and thus making that 4th healer guard makes sense (mercs are extra sturdy and have a lot of defensive CD's, ops have stealth and aoe mezz, sorcs have 2 CC breakers). I also shudder when I see healers simply leave nodes unguarded because they believe they should never be left defending. At least having the courtesy of asking for someone to replace them might inform them on the status of what's needed in the thick of action at that moment, and I find that usually someone will offer themself if there really is need for an extra healer.

I noticed as you move up in situational awareness skill, your scoreboard "performance" goes down accordingly leaving less room to strive for the top numbers (you defend more often, rotate more proactively, kill key targets at the expense of massive mindless dps on the same tank for a minute, CC more, etc) but you're being far more useful to your team.

Also, it seems obvious but wearing PvP gear makes a major difference in survivability. Too many people still think it's "useless" because the mod values are lower.

KillaDeuce
08.12.2013 , 06:45 PM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by smilingbee View Post
Thread necro, but for a good cause. This needs more visibility, judging from all the terrible moves I have seen done in PvP today. Great tips, I even learned a few things myself. I 5 starred you.

I would like to comment on the part about never leaving a healer as a defender because they should be healing the group. In a few instances (Voidstar defense, huttball) having 4-5 healers is not really an issue, but beyond that it becomes a handicap, especially those who don't know how to off-dps enemy healers and throw some ranged moves to help out on damage. In the case that there are 2 other strong dedicated healers, or 3 healers that dps a little, the need is generally greater for an extra dps with the group and thus making that 4th healer guard makes sense (mercs are extra sturdy and have a lot of defensive CD's, ops have stealth and aoe mezz, sorcs have 2 CC breakers). I also shudder when I see healers simply leave nodes unguarded because they believe they should never be left defending. At least having the courtesy of asking for someone to replace them might inform them on the status of what's needed in the thick of action at that moment, and I find that usually someone will offer themself if there really is need for an extra healer.

I noticed as you move up in situational awareness skill, your scoreboard "performance" goes down accordingly leaving less room to strive for the top numbers (you defend more often, rotate more proactively, kill key targets at the expense of massive mindless dps on the same tank for a minute, CC more, etc) but you're being far more useful to your team.

Also, it seems obvious but wearing PvP gear makes a major difference in survivability. Too many people still think it's "useless" because the mod values are lower.

Thanks for the bump. I gave up on the thread a while ago and play the game very very casually now, if at all.

About the Healer comment, you are right. Having 4-5 healers is one instance where having a healer guard would not be an issue. But you can find details for almost everything I wrote in the thread where you wouldn't do this or that in certain situations.

I don't expect anyone to read all the responses in the thread. But I believe I explained a few times that I was going to keep my suggestions and advice very generalized.

If you make everything to detailed and technical people won't read it. They just read the subject line, see a wall of text and then troll you based on the subject line since they won't want to read a huge essay.

It has been a while since I read through this thread. Let alone posted on these forums, LoL. But I made a little note on the healer part for you. I only saw your post cause I got an email for it. LOL Still had the notifications on for it.
Charric - sniper - POT5 / Bastion
Verbšl - PT - POT5 / Bastion

cashogy_reborn
08.12.2013 , 07:00 PM | #49
This should be stickied
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

Mharz
08.12.2013 , 07:13 PM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy_reborn View Post