Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Armor and Classes

khadaryan
12.13.2011 , 01:24 PM | #1
Hi Guys

Can i mod Jedi Heavy Armor to use in my Commando?
I want a guy with a big wpn and a hood.

It weird, but cool.

hadoken
12.13.2011 , 01:30 PM | #2
I don't know about the cool part but I believe you can. I don't recall class requirements being on armor, just the type (heavy, medium). I imagine the set stuff for raids would be class locked though.

khadaryan
12.13.2011 , 01:36 PM | #3
Well, so i'll pick Synth to craft my ''jedi like armor'' and buy mods to be the "Hood Avenger" (with a big, big gun)
(or something like that, maybe craft the mods and take gear....btw, we always can buy w/e gear we want with commendations)

ty for the reply!

Heezdedjim
12.13.2011 , 01:52 PM | #4
I think the main issue you will run into is that anything purple will have the wrong primary stat for your class. Based on the latest dev blog post about the overhaul of the mod system, everything up to blue quality will be fully modable, but all purple quality armors will have their primary stat "locked," and will only be able to have the other mods changed. I'm not sure exactly how this is going to play out, but I think at some point you will find that you will be limited to green / blue quality gear or will gimp your stats severely.

The other issue is that loot bags, which I understand is how you get most of the stuff that drops in the group instances, will give class-specific items; so basically all of those drops will probably be wasted on you, at least when it comes to armor.

Given how specifically and differently they have tried to "dress" all the classes, I'm guessing we're going to see class locks at some point (at least base class, probably not AC). And I would also expect stuff like back-holstering a gun while wearing a robe to look awkward or glitchy in some way, and probably lots of other animation glitches, since you're using combinations that get no QA or testing priority.

That said; someone has to try it, or nobody will know whether it works or not. Let us know how it goes!

hadoken
12.13.2011 , 01:54 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Heezdedjim View Post
I think the main issue you will run into is that anything purple will have the wrong primary stat for your class. Based on the latest dev blog post about the overhaul of the mod system, everything up to blue quality will be fully modable, but all purple quality armors will have their primary stat "locked," and will only be able to have the other mods changed. I'm not sure exactly how this is going to play out, but I think at some point you will find that you will be limited to green / blue quality gear or will gimp your stats severely.

The other issue is that loot bags, which I understand is how you get most of the stuff that drops in the group instances, will give class-specific items; so basically all of those drops will probably be wasted on you, at least when it comes to armor.

Given how specifically and differently they have tried to "dress" all the classes, I'm guessing we're going to see class locks at some point (at least base class, probably not AC). And I would also expect stuff like back-holstering a gun while wearing a robe to look awkward or glitchy in some way, and probably lots of other animation glitches, since you're using combinations that probably get no QA or testing priority.

That said; someone has to try it, or nobody will know whether it works or not. Let us know how it goes!
I think that post (will have to go read it again) said that they'd be offering those mod slots as drops alone in raids too, so you can still mod your old gear with raid level stats. You just can't get a raid item and deconstruct it to mod other gear (or sell).

Heezdedjim
12.13.2011 , 01:55 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by hadoken View Post
I think that post (will have to go read it again) said that they'd be offering those mod slots as drops alone in raids too, so you can still mod your old gear with raid level stats. You just can't get a raid item and deconstruct it to mod/sell other gear.
Yeah, there was something in there about "certain mods" only dropping in certain instances or in certain ways, so that you wouldn't just blitz the first instance over and over again to get all the purple mods you need for a full set. I'm not sure exactly how it works though.

I'm not sure what the catch to this strategy is; but I expect OP will run into it at some point, given how tightly railed the game is. They really want people to be doing what they expect them to be doing, and the design of everything seems to force that sooner or later.

khadaryan
12.13.2011 , 02:06 PM | #7
Yes, in my understand, we need the purple mods from OPs, but u can keep the gear once u reach full slots of mod.

But in game things are not so easy, so maybe they will block things like ''Machine Guns in Cloth"

Sad...but...