Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Will This Computer Work Well?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Will This Computer Work Well?

CHatton
04.26.2013 , 03:00 PM | #1
How well will an AMD 6-Core FX-6200 Processor Computer run SWtOR well? I mean as far as framerate and graphics.

-Wes-
04.26.2013 , 07:33 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by CHatton View Post
How well will an AMD 6-Core FX-6200 Processor Computer run SWtOR well? I mean as far as framerate and graphics.
Well, if you want good frame rates and graphics, you need to have a good graphics card!

My computer is a little over four years old now, and was a (quality) budget build. It ran SWTOR terribly when I first beta-tested, but I put a better graphics card in when the first went south, and couldn't believe how nice the game looked (and ran) after that!

So, yes, that CPU will run it fine, but make sure you get a good graphics card to compliment it.
\~~~~~The von Theissenburg Legacy~~~~~/

Referral Link

MSchuyler
04.26.2013 , 07:46 PM | #3
The processor is only part of the story. Some benchmarks for it are here: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?...-6200+Six-Core As you can see, it's not the fastest out there, but the bigger issue is your GPU: The graphics card. THAT is very important to game performance. You want to off-load graphics from happening in the CPU and memory to happening on the GPU itself. Next comes memory. You'll need a 64bit Windows OS to address 8GB and Home Premium 64bit to get to 16GB. If you get 32bit, you just limited yourself to 4GB which, IMO, is not enough. Whatever is the slowest component will "rule" the speed of the game.

Personally, I am a fan of buying one level down from top notch, which was top notch last year. The reason is that you pay a premium for the latest and greatest. Here's an example. Take a basic Intel i7 processor

Basic = i7-3630QM (6MB Cache, up to 3.4GHz w/ Turbo Boost 2.0) [Included in Price]
Next = i7-3740QM (6MB Cache, up to 3.7GHz w/ Turbo Boost 2.0) [Add $150.00]
High = i7-3840QM (8MB Cache, up to 3.8GHz w/ Turbo Boost 2.0) [Add $350.00]

See what happens?

You go from 3.4GHz in speed to 3.7GHz for $150. +.3
You go from 3.7GHz in speed to 3.8GHz for $350. +.1

OK, so you get 8MB cache vice 6MB. Granted. But dollar for dollar here that first increment gets you quite a lot and second, not so much for more than twice the price. Verdict? i7-3740QM.

Same thing with graphics. You can get an NVidia 680 for $500 or a "dual" 690 for $1000. Verdict? 680. Why? Because there is no solid evidence that the 690 is twice as fast as the 680. The "two cards" use a lot of processing power interacting. You don't need the grief, so settle on a 680 for now. It's quite adequate for swtor.

Memory is much more of a lineal expense with maybe a small discount for more. Get as much as you can afford AND if there is a speed difference, consider it.

So bottom line is I'm not liking your CPU all that much, but you ought to be concentrating on the GPU first anyway.

Edit: Hey, Wes. Great minds!

CHatton
04.27.2013 , 03:10 PM | #4
Thanks for the advice guys. I will look into this more.

NOTACTICS
04.27.2013 , 05:14 PM | #5
Ram in terms of cost gives you the most bang for your buck in terms of upgrading your PC.

What you have to remember though that this is a network game so regardless of the spec. of your PC if network performance is poor or the sever is struggling the game performance will struggle. The better the broadband speed you have the better the game performance. The WAN speed of your Broadband line is largely out of your control, all you can do is upgrade with your provider to the fastest Fibre your location can take and hope for the best

You can make a few configuration changes on your Router that will help a little like port fowarding, Quality of Service priority and using an Ethernet GB cable (proving your Router and NIC card are GB enabled) rather than say a 300MB wireless and reducing the number of devices on your network while playing. Other than that there is not much you can do. Your distance to the exchange is the single biggest influence to your broadband as that is where the choke point is.

Also don't forget to ensure things like Anti virus programs on your PC are in game mode while playing.

In terms of PC spec. I say a Intel I-3 , 6Gb DDR ram with Win-64 Bit a PCI-E 2 Graphics CPU with 1GB ram should be fine for this game, it not like its a graphics heavy game like say Crysis.

Jimmay_
04.27.2013 , 06:42 PM | #6
cpu plays a part - graphics card more so. You can spend 200-1200 bucks on graphics cards setup - I have a gtx480 and it play swotr at 2560x1440 with all the eye candy turned on just fine (that card is about 2-3 years old behind cutting edge).