Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Best companion for Jedi Sage

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Best companion for Jedi Sage

tharbison's Avatar


tharbison
04.26.2013 , 11:50 AM | #1
Greetings!

Just returned to game after a long absence. Currently level 41 heal specced Jedi Sage. Just started on Hoth. Been using Qyzon Fess since day 1. Been thinking about switching him out, but I'm not sure I want to go thru the effort or expense involved in gearing up a different companion, only to find out they rot.

Which companion do other heal specced sages prefer?

Ridickilis's Avatar


Ridickilis
04.26.2013 , 12:12 PM | #2
Would you accept an answer from a heal specced Sorc?

Fess. He's the mirror to Khem Val, which is our melee tank. He's easier to keep up while throwing out a little bit of dps in between heals. Once you get your melee DPS you can think about switching to her. She's be a bit harder to keep up but you won't need to bother helping out with dps so it's kind of an equal trade off there.

Some people may have had as easy a time with the ranged companions, but my preference was always to use melee one's so I could manually send them in while I stood further away from the action.

tharbison's Avatar


tharbison
04.26.2013 , 12:29 PM | #3
Hmmm...should I believe the representative from the dark side?!! It may be a trick...

I heard the melee dps companion's primary stat is also wlilpower which makes it a bit easier to pass my hand-me-downs which would be less expensive. Also could be a potential love interest...unfortunately I'm just on Hoth & I think I will get her on Belsavis.

Thanks for your feedback!

FizzwickNuffaa's Avatar


FizzwickNuffaa
04.26.2013 , 01:39 PM | #4
Your tanks are Fess(melee) and Iresso(ranged). Iresso you'll get on Hoth. Nadia comes at the end of Belsavis and she is melee dps. She is Willpower based so yes you can give her your castoffs and she's not bad. Tharan is all healer so pretty redundant to use him and Zenith could be usable I suppose but he's ranged dps so probably not optimal.

-Wes-'s Avatar


-Wes-
04.26.2013 , 07:36 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by tharbison View Post
Hmmm...should I believe the representative from the dark side?!! It may be a trick...

I heard the melee dps companion's primary stat is also wlilpower which makes it a bit easier to pass my hand-me-downs which would be less expensive. Also could be a potential love interest...unfortunately I'm just on Hoth & I think I will get her on Belsavis.

Thanks for your feedback!
LoL! Believe the sorcerer!

I also have a Sage healer, and I prefer Fess and Grell since they are melee. They just do a better job of keeping the aggro, and the action, away from me.
Tras
\~~~~~The von Theissenburg Legacy~~~~~/


Referral Link

Seireeni's Avatar


Seireeni
04.27.2013 , 04:38 AM | #6
With my healer sage, I like to keep Nadia Grell with me for 2 reasons. 1, her primary stat is willpower, so she can use my old gear, and 2, I find healer + tank -pair pretty slow in mobkilling. ^^

Jayshames's Avatar


Jayshames
04.27.2013 , 05:04 AM | #7
I've used Khem Val all the way to 51 (so far) on my Sorc, and Qyzen all the way to 37 on my Sage so far.

Tanks are great companions, they heal to full whenever you dismiss them. This also counts when you mount up.
Using speeder or instant rocket boost and then demounting brings them back in no time with full health. Saves you plenty of down time healing.

Nadisu's Avatar


Nadisu
04.27.2013 , 05:22 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Jayshames View Post
Tanks are great companions, they heal to full whenever you dismiss them. This also counts when you mount up.
Using speeder or instant rocket boost and then demounting brings them back in no time with full health. Saves you plenty of down time healing.
That is true for all companions, not just the tank ones.

About what companion to use, as you see there are different opinions on that, all depending on your playstyle.
I can't talk about what companion are best for lvl'ing, since I lvl'd my main, a seer, with a tank friend, so took nadia when I could. (for the reason she used the same gear as I do)
When I hit 50, and did some dailies on my own I kept nadia, as some have pointed out, a tank may hold aggro a bit better than the dps, but killing will be way slower, especially so when you go up against silvers and goldies.

Since I have hit 55 I have done quite a few hc2's with nadia, and haven't had many issues so far, if you send her in first, and keep her shielded and topped of for the first few secs, she's actually quite good at keeping aggro, if that is your worry. (Of course, as with most other things in this game it also depends on the gear of you and your companion.)

Got to be a longer post than intended, but hope it make sense.
The essential part is, take the companion you prefer.

Jayshames's Avatar


Jayshames
04.27.2013 , 05:54 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Nadisu View Post
That is true for all companions, not just the tank ones.

About what companion to use, as you see there are different opinions on that, all depending on your playstyle.
I can't talk about what companion are best for lvl'ing, since I lvl'd my main, a seer, with a tank friend, so took nadia when I could. (for the reason she used the same gear as I do)
When I hit 50, and did some dailies on my own I kept nadia, as some have pointed out, a tank may hold aggro a bit better than the dps, but killing will be way slower, especially so when you go up against silvers and goldies.

Since I have hit 55 I have done quite a few hc2's with nadia, and haven't had many issues so far, if you send her in first, and keep her shielded and topped of for the first few secs, she's actually quite good at keeping aggro, if that is your worry. (Of course, as with most other things in this game it also depends on the gear of you and your companion.)

Got to be a longer post than intended, but hope it make sense.
The essential part is, take the companion you prefer.
If you use a DPS companion and you're a DPS you're going to pull aggro sometimes.
If you use a DPS companion as a healer you'll probably also pull aggro.
If your a DPS using a healer companion you'll have aggro.
Atleast with a tank you're going to avoid aggro majority of fights

Nadisu's Avatar


Nadisu
04.27.2013 , 09:11 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Jayshames View Post
If you use a DPS companion and you're a DPS you're going to pull aggro sometimes.
If you use a DPS companion as a healer you'll probably also pull aggro.
If your a DPS using a healer companion you'll have aggro.
Atleast with a tank you're going to avoid aggro majority of fights
Actually, if I send in nadia first, and start out keeping my own aggro low, I won't get aggro untill I do out aggro her at the very end of the fight. It's all about how you do it, but that comes with practice.
On normal fight I do have aggro, and so what? I am a healer and can heal it, they die pretty fast with nadia. I'll only get into trouble if I aggro too many mobs one way or the other.

Yes, a dps with healer comp will have the aggro, and should. Most companions can heal through it, unless too undergeared. I have run with a healer on the dps I have lv'd , and also do with the one I am lvl'ing now (on and off lvl'ing). Can't say I have had much issue. It's all about knowing what you doing and using cc's wisely to minimize damage (if your class have cc's).

But my main point still is, he should go with what he prefer. If he wants a tank comp, he should go with that. Likewise if it is a dps he will try. They both have benefits and drawbacks. From my experience, there isn't that much difference except kill time.
But I won't say what he should do, can only say what I have been doing, and how that has been.

As I said, can't really talk about how good the tank companions are, as it is rare I have used them.
Will say though, how you put it, isn't wrong and a good guideline of what to expect when choosing a companion.