Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Where's all this talk of 40k+ HP coming from?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Where's all this talk of 40k+ HP coming from?

Padheannis
05.10.2013 , 11:53 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Kitru View Post
There is a *massive* difference between being fully modded out in *good* mods/enhs (i.e. the stuff that drops in FPs and Ops; often the good mod/enh only comes on 1-2 pieces of gear, to boot) and being fully modded out in *bad* mods/enhs (i.e. the stuff you buy with comms).

Comm gear is pretty much *universally* high End and painfully low Endurance for tanks. Token and drop gear are the actual high mitigation options. If you're packing HP in the 40k+ region, it's because you're stacking Endurance via comm gear and/or using Endurance augs. *Both* of those things are bad.

I was running a pug Ops last night and the other randoms I was with thought that the other tank they grabbed, who had 8k more hp than me, was better geared based purely upon his hp. Of course, they completely missed the fact that my DR was 1.5% higher, Defense chance was 3% higher, Shield chance was 5% higher, and Absorb was 5% higher.

High hp for a tank is, like it's always been, just a bad tank's way of demonstrating their epeen. A good tank is only going to have marginally more hp than a DPS because *real* tanking is about mitigation, not hp.
I have the 72 set bonus armorings, so there for I would just guess that these are token drops. also, if you read my post, i stated that i was in vanilla swtor augments for shield/absorb, i do not have any current augments in my gear.

Kitru
05.10.2013 , 12:10 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Padheannis View Post
I have the 72 set bonus armorings, so there for I would just guess that these are token drops. also, if you read my post, i stated that i was in vanilla swtor augments for shield/absorb, i do not have any current augments in my gear.
All you said in your original post was "72 armorings", which can mean either Verpine *or* Underworld gear. Without confirmation of set bonuses, I generally default to *not* having the set bonus, especially considering when someone has a crapload of HP.

As to augs, augs comprise roughly 25% of your total potential mitigation budget. Using old augs means that, instead of getting the full 100% potential mitigation budget, you're only getting ~87.5% (old augs are slightly better than half as good as the new purple augs), which, considering the almost pitifully low level of your Def/Shield/Abs (18/38/38 is *terrible* as far as mitigation goes), means that, even when you swap to 55 augs, you're *still* going to massively Endurance heavy.

Yes, you'll get to 40k hp with the gear as it's straight up listed because there is *way* more Endurance than you actually need on most pieces of tank gear, especially on the enhancements. That does not mean that you *should* have 40k hp if you know what you're doing. Remember, I said "good" mods/enhs v. "bad" mods/enhs, not "set v. comm" gear. There *is* some set gear that has *terrible* itemization on it. Pretty much *everything* you get needs to be tweaked to be anything but varying degrees of painfully suboptimal.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

XisscVekno
05.10.2013 , 02:40 PM | #23
On my Sin tank fully stimed I have 35k health. I'm fully optimized as far as I can go in the 69gear (dungeon drops/Arkanian) My Mitigation stats are 23% Def/35.8% Shield (55.8 with Dark Ward up)/43.7% Absorb (51.7% with 8 stacks of Dark Bulwark). I don't see myself getting past 40k health in full 72's if I'm still optimizing my Mitigation stats.
Not all things in life are free,
and freedom has the highest cost of them all.
Remember those who gave, so you could enjoy what others do not.

thasensei
05.10.2013 , 05:17 PM | #24
considering the almost pitifully low level of your Def/Shield/Abs (18/38/38 is *terrible* as far as mitigation goes), means that, even when you swap to 55 augs, you're *still* going to massively Endurance heavy.
I just want to point out that it's a *terrible* exaggeration to call those numbers "pitifully low." Completely maxed out mitigation gear gets you to around 21/39/35. He already stated that he's not fully augmented/itemized so he has room to improve. But a difference of -3/-1/+3 from the MAX AMOUNT POSSIBLE can hardly be considered pitifully low.

This is all assuming that we're talking apples v apples here, and that he wasn't counting his relic procs in those original numbers.

Kitru
05.10.2013 , 06:07 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by thasensei View Post
I just want to point out that it's a *terrible* exaggeration to call those numbers "pitifully low."
I don't see it as an exaggeration so much as a window into my notions of itemization budgets. To me, anything below ~2200 is low; under 2000 is almost unthinkable. For BiS, you should be pushing into the realms of an itemization budget of 2500 (my goal BiS is actually 2506 total).
My New Class Idea

ThomasCool
05.10.2013 , 10:19 PM | #26
A quick question... I have a defensive stat budget of ~2300 and was wondering how guardians/juggernauts get to 38% absorb? I'm at 20.3/40/32.5 mostly following the stat distribution in KBN's thread so i'm somewhat confused...
T.

Padheannis
05.10.2013 , 10:36 PM | #27
Those relics don't increase your DR at all. The shield relic increases your Absorb and the defense relic increases your Defense. The only things that are going to affect your DR are CDs, talents/buffs (re: Guardian Slash), armor rating, and adrenal.
you are corrrect, i just got both last night, i was actually speaking off my dread guard relics, witch, for some reason when they procced, added to DR. with the new relics, im sitting at 50.24%dr. very sorry for the miss information

Padheannis
05.10.2013 , 10:37 PM | #28
I don't see it as an exaggeration so much as a window into my notions of itemization budgets. To me, anything below ~2200 is low; under 2000 is almost unthinkable. For BiS, you should be pushing into the realms of an itemization budget of 2500 (my goal BiS is actually 2506 total).

Dammit, quoted wrong post, wont let me change or delete, Carry on, not the tank you are looking for.

Kitru
05.10.2013 , 10:48 PM | #29
you are corrrect, i just got both last night, i was actually speaking off my dread guard relics, witch, for some reason when they procced, added to DR. with the new relics, im sitting at 50.24%dr. very sorry for the miss information
I *highly* doubt that they did that. I had 2 DG relics and they didn't do *anything* to DR. The DG proc relic added to Absorb rating, which has nothing to do with DR.
My New Class Idea

TolkienFan
11.03.2013 , 08:08 PM | #30
On my Juggernaut tank, I have 18% defense, 38% shield and 38% absorb. I have an armor rating of 9478, and after i get into my rotation, im at 52% damage reduction. I am currently not augmented at all (actually in Vanilla swtor augments for shield/absorb.) Im fairly close to fully modded out in 72 armor/mod/enhancements. Having said this, with my fortitude stim on, im at 39,548 hp. The other tank in our raid (sin tank, pretty much equally geared and better itemized) has 41,824 hp with a fortitude stim on. On the PTS, my juggernaut had almost 41k hp and our sin tank had almost 43k hp, and neither of us had a single augment nor were we even close to properly itemized.

I realize that my shield/absorb is fairly low, but im going to be augmenting for those stats, you get entirely enough Endurance from the mods. I also have yet to get the +10 Endurance datacron from Makeb
Would it be rude to ask you for a list of your mods, from each gear piece? lol.