Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So you added same-sex romance options, great. But wait, there isn't also an opposite

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
So you added same-sex romance options, great. But wait, there isn't also an opposite

errant_knight
04.25.2013 , 10:50 AM | #31
Personally, I like it that they didn't go the 'everyone is bi or maybe you're just that awesome' route that they took in DA2. It removed sexuality as being part of the character's identities and made it an addon. Some should be straight, some bi and some gay, partly because that's just better character development and partly because player characters feel more real if they can't have everything that moves.

Seireeni
04.25.2013 , 11:01 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by xxforcardassia View Post
There are limitations when you play a game like this (or any really). I tend to view things from a rp sort of perspective when I play my toons, however I don't go bat**** crazy when a response isn't what is envision my character to say in that situation. You want total control and freedom over your character? Go write some stories about them yourself (aka fanfiction), but you can't possibly expect BW to cater to every player's whim and desire when playing through the game. The story in the expac is interesting, the landscape is also beautiful, but writing the whole thing off because you can't [flirt] with every npc you want to is shallow and childish.

Edit to mention my use of "you" is general, not "targeting" anyone specific here.
What? I never said I want to flirt with every npc I meet. I only answered to a person who found the whole idea of [flirt]-options kind of creepy. I'm fine with the game as it is and I think it gives me enough rp possibilities (well, I'd like to be able to be more sith-like with my ds jedis, but away from that it's great).
No need to attack me like that. O.O

Bytemite
04.25.2013 , 11:21 AM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Freedannad View Post
Am I the only one that finds this whole romancing npcs a little creepy? Maybe I'm old fashion, but I go out and find companionship when I want it. I dont count on some software progammer to put a "flirt" option in a game for me. I dont play video games for romance. If you do, maybe its time to reevalute some aspects of life.
I did at first too, though for different reasons in that I find sentimentalism and romance to be unsettling and deeply unappealing concepts. But then I realized my character isn't me and that I was playing my character's story, so while I might not be interested in a character, my character might be. So if I could see the game sort of as watching a movie about someone else, I could tolerate all the normally disturbing flirting and etc. so long as it fit understandably in the story or I could make sense of it in relation to the characterizations.

As for the OP, I don't understand their complaint, and further reading has not provided much further elucidation. I have no problem with either SGR or OGR as both are pretty foreign to my worldview. At that point it hardly matters what the gender makeup of a particular partnering might be, as all of the options are ultimately mystifying and generally harmless things other people do that effect me not in the slightest. Both options were included in this downloadable content, that seems the beginning and end of discussion here.

krakadyla
04.25.2013 , 12:48 PM | #34
"..romancing npcs a little creepy"? Seriously? I mean, the fact that your character, say, kills everyone on a ship as part of a job or torture others for their pleasure does not perturb you, but romancing npcs does? Well, then newsflash for ya, buddy - those romances aren't real! It's all pretend, part of a game, just as random violent murders your character commits is part of a game? Not real, okay?

And speaking of real - you comparing videogame romances (game stuff) to "go out and find companionship" (reality stuff), on the other hand is a little creepy.

Bytemite
04.25.2013 , 01:10 PM | #35
I have a theory that your character never actually kills anyone unless they take the prompt to do so in a cutscene. I mean they all respawn within 30 seconds to a minute after defeat, basically just like you do. Frankly I'm a little envious that their medical care provider seems to be better than the player characters, much faster processing on multiple claims. And have you seen those guys, their premiums have to be lower too.

Also, being lightsider on every character mitigates the whole murder/romance paradox somewhat.

xxforcardassia
04.25.2013 , 01:19 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Seireeni View Post
What? I never said I want to flirt with every npc I meet. I only answered to a person who found the whole idea of [flirt]-options kind of creepy. I'm fine with the game as it is and I think it gives me enough rp possibilities (well, I'd like to be able to be more sith-like with my ds jedis, but away from that it's great).
No need to attack me like that. O.O
Not attacking. I used your post as a launching point for my response to the thread and I apologize if it seemed like I was attacking. I also wasn't implying the [flirt] option to every npc, but rather I said to flirt with whatever npc the player wanted.

SithKoriandr
04.25.2013 , 11:39 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by krakadyla View Post
"..romancing npcs a little creepy"? Seriously? I mean, the fact that your character, say, kills everyone on a ship as part of a job or torture others for their pleasure does not perturb you, but romancing npcs does? Well, then newsflash for ya, buddy - those romances aren't real! It's all pretend, part of a game, just as random violent murders your character commits is part of a game? Not real, okay?

And speaking of real - you comparing videogame romances (game stuff) to "go out and find companionship" (reality stuff), on the other hand is a little creepy.
You realize you can avoid random acts of murder, right?
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

krakadyla
04.26.2013 , 01:02 AM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
You realize you can avoid random acts of murder, right?
Nah, because whenever I get the dialogue wheel about murdering someone gruesomely or not, my mouse gets stuck on the murder option and refuses to move. Seriously, you can avoid random acts of flirting too, and that isn't the point.

PaniMauser
04.26.2013 , 01:29 AM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
Female hetero flirts/romances are pretty much non-existent. There's one flirt option for a female imp...I haven't seen any on the republic side.
If you play as female smuggler, you can hit on that Zabrak guy from Protectors, but he'll tell you that he's married. On female trooper I had no option to flirt with him. So I assume, it is class locked.

Back on main topic, you can flirt with microbinocular and seeker droid quest givers as male(empire side). Not sure about republic side as I have not started Makeb on my male republic toons yet, but my male bounty hunter could flirt both with Bo and with that sith chick.

I haven't finished the quest yet, so have no idea if any of the flirts goes anywhere, but still, the flirt is right there, so stop complaining, there's new opposite sex flirt too. If you missed it, OP, it was your own fault, not Bioware's.

xxforcardassia
04.26.2013 , 02:39 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by PaniMauser View Post
Back on main topic, you can flirt with microbinocular and seeker droid quest givers as male(empire side). Not sure about republic side as I have not started Makeb on my male republic toons yet, but my male bounty hunter could flirt both with Bo and with that sith chick.
As a femes SI I was able to flirt with these same npcs (also not sure if anything comes of them, they also were on the... lame side, but c'est la vie). Other than those two, I had no other [flirt] options pop up through the Makeb storyline.