Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

dialogue "choices"

Yaksha
12.21.2011 , 07:46 PM | #21
Quote:
none of that applies to me, I am familiar with Star Wars, BioWare, and english is my native language, so your argument is false. Fact is, some of the stuff is BLATENTLY obvious what it means (but still not what he will say), and some of it is damn cryptic. I specifically make a choice that I think is what my Jedi SHOULD SAY, and he comes off with an attitude, NOT COOL
Well, look at it this way...

I've found most of the choices fairly obvious. I have not at all had the problem you have. A few times my character has said something unexpectedly funny, etc. but I've never had an issue where I pick an option and end up with a response that wasn't what I had in mind.

Judging by the other people who posted, there's quite a lot of people in the same camp as me - no problems 'understanding', predicting, etc. conversation choices.

So here I am speculating on what the difference between you and me are. i.e. why I seem to have no problems with this and why you do. Perfectly reasonable and polite options are - maybe english isn't your first language, maybe you aren't well versed in the lore.

But hey, I suppose I could just stick to assuming that maybe you just have problems understanding English. gg

Hanscholo
12.21.2011 , 08:10 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by drealmer View Post
I thought I'd get used to how they do dialogue/dialogue choices in this game, but I have not and it is only getting worse. It's driving me insane to not know what my character is actually going to say. It's even more maddening sitting there trying to decipher what a 3 word vague phrase is ACTUALLY going to make me say, thinking I figured it out (why do I have to figure anything out at all?), I select the option, and his tone of voice is COMPLETELY OPPOSITE to what I heard in my head. There is no indication of tone of voice or character's perspective or ANYTHING (sometimes the exclamation point ! helps, but that's about it), I simply have to guess. Sometimes the guessing is easy, sometimes it is nearly impossible. There should be no guessing when they presume to call it an RPG. Why give some brief and vague allusion to what your character will say? The dialogue is all scripted, put it in the dialogue for us to see! Good luck making him say what you want. Not that it actually matters because everything turns out the same no matter how I apparently choose (I chose not to help someone, I got mail from them thanking me for my help?) Why am I even bothering choosing then? For LS/DS options because that is what will ultimately be making differences? - we'll see - Are there ever more than 3 options to choose from? I don't think I've seen any. How's that for variety? There should be 4, 5, even 6 options sometimes, this is what I expect from BW, this watered down bit has me frustrated and confused on top of not actually being able to actually choose what I say.
Its a simple matter of comprehending the tone of the reply. Then that gets taken and fleshed out into a dramatic sentence. You are looking at it the wrong way, your choices are there to direct your attitude, not the text of the conversation. I love it how it is tbh, because you get to be involved in teh conversation as well as listening to it.

Eyae
12.22.2011 , 03:28 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
Its fine how it is, you can't fix what isn't broken.
I agree. I have absolutely no issues with the way it is now. I've got it down to an art almost, I have my character all figured out and can assume with near flawless accuracy how the conversation will unfold based off of the 3 options given.

Also, another thing you can do (if you didn't know this already) is hit ESC if you end up making choices that are not to your liking and it will cancel the whole chat and you can fire it up again and make different selections.

Ksyusha
12.22.2011 , 09:36 PM | #24
I'm finding that the second choices are the more compassionate and kinder replies for the most part on my Dark Side character, but sometimes it can be mean. Like for the Inquisitor quest where you have to interrogate an an injured Acolyte, the middle/second choices were the ones that cause the Lord/Overseer guy to make sure that he was safe, and transferred away after ratting out some apprentice. The second/middle choices also are what got me to help the Jedi prisoner in the Jailbreak quest, and get more Light Side points.

ObiQuiYett
12.22.2011 , 10:43 PM | #25
No, I can definitely understand where the OP is coming from. There has been several times on my Jedi Knight character where the subtle nuances of the dialogue leads to unexpected and often unwanted outcomes. Luckily, these instances haven't been character destroying, but even still, I don't expect a "What about the Jedi?" option to be an accusatory/blaming statement, though after the fact I can see how it the developers came to that conclusion.

As to theories on how to "fix" the problem, there certainly may be problems with hovertext over options being a bit time consuming for the overzealous, but, logically, those who would be scrupulous with their responses would continue to be so, regardless of the extra reading material.

LordOfTheDance
12.22.2011 , 11:54 PM | #26
I do think it would have been a good idea if Bioware had implemented the tone icons from DA2. Well obviously make them more Star Wars appropriate.

drealmer
12.23.2011 , 03:11 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Eyae View Post
I have my character all figured out and can assume with near flawless accuracy how the conversation will unfold based off of the 3 options given.

Also, another thing you can do (if you didn't know this already) is hit ESC if you end up making choices that are not to your liking and it will cancel the whole chat and you can fire it up again and make different selections.
I shouldn't have to "figure" anything out, I shouldn't have to whittle it down to an exact science or learn the art of dialogue-option choosing, that's not fun for me. I should be able to know what I'm going to say before I say it, hell, it's supposed to be ME (especially if I'm RPing), I shouldn't have to guess at what is coming out of my own mouth.

I'm glad you've mastered it, I've given up trying to make sense of it and have resorted to hitting the ESC key and starting over a lot (this sucks, and is not engaging me in the story at all, it's making me be like 'ok, check all the options, now go back and do the route I like best.')

This also doesn't work when the convo. abruptly ends 'cause that's all to be said and I'm stuck with the options I've chosen simply because I didn't hit ESC fast enough.

I heard all this stuff about 'once you choose, you can't go back' from the developers, so, I figured it was a click-once thing...I had no idea about the ESC key until the guy in the previous post said something, that would have been handy from the start, this should be the first thing they tell you in those tutorials (perhaps they did, but I can't really read them anyway with how the scaling is on my screen) but I'm not going back and starting over.

I'm wondering if people's varying issues with this has to do with the class they are playing. I'm playing a Jedi Knight, the guy in the last post was a JK and was having issues as well. Maybe it is because of how the dialogue is for that character, or maybe it is because as Jedi we are more concerned with our tone of voice and subtle inflection than other characters?

I still don't understand why they didn't just put in the full text in the first place, it seems lazy more than anything (it's certainly not innovative.)

Devlonir
12.23.2011 , 04:57 AM | #28
Thing is, as I have noticed, that the Jedi Knight, compared to the Consular, is a lot more the arrogant 'I have the power to save the universe' kind of character.
Jedi Knight options are more often the bad side of Lightside Jedi. The holier-than-thou, ******** Jedi who is simply too good to be true and therefore arrogant over his own abilities.

It is the direction they choose for the Knight, I enjoy my Consular a lot more as he has more the sense of a wise and humble Jedi like Qui Gon Jinn, while the Knight is a bit more the arrogant powerful Jedi like Light Side Anakin at his best moments.

drealmer
12.23.2011 , 06:39 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Devlonir View Post
Thing is, as I have noticed, that the Jedi Knight, compared to the Consular, is a lot more the arrogant 'I have the power to save the universe' kind of character.
Jedi Knight options are more often the bad side of Lightside Jedi. The holier-than-thou, ******** Jedi who is simply too good to be true and therefore arrogant over his own abilities.

It is the direction they choose for the Knight, I enjoy my Consular a lot more as he has more the sense of a wise and humble Jedi like Qui Gon Jinn, while the Knight is a bit more the arrogant powerful Jedi like Light Side Anakin at his best moments.
hmm I can see that....so much for it being an RPG I guess. The limit of max 3 choices only ever always should have been my first clue. KotOR had threads with 5, 6, 7 options at times, as do most great RPGs, ugh, I would have paid $100million to have more choices and skipped the voice acting (which IMO is just mediocre for the most part.)

Parthenon
12.23.2011 , 12:50 PM | #30
I partly agree with the OP and partly think it's better to just live with it and enjoy the game; however, I would like to give an example of what the OP is talking about that struck me in particular (and by struck I mean had me laughing):

In the Esseles, the lower ranking guy who works in engineering suggests the reactor reset and the head of engineering says it will vent them into space. One of the options on the wheel was "Useful plans only, please." I choose it, and then my Knight ends up saying something like (paraphrasing), "Why don't you tell your lackeys to shut up unless they have a real suggestion."

The wheel and what was said felt a little incongruous to me at that point for sure.