Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How do I Play With a Controller??

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
How do I Play With a Controller??

MorganaV
04.18.2013 , 08:48 PM | #1
Ok, so just recently I found out I can play my computer games, especially Star Wars with a PS3 controller, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to do it.

Now, most people I know consider me quite good with the computer, but if I'm honest, reading those threads and topics regarding this, I don't understand a thing. I am an idiot compared to these people who can figure this out through such simple instructions.

So if anyone can explain it to me, as if I was 5 years old, I'd really appreciate it. I'm desperate here.

Lordmird
04.18.2013 , 09:34 PM | #2
I personally use an Xbox controller, but only for PVP

The process of setting it up took an hour or two, and certain PC's will be extremely laggy with it

It's easier to not use one. :_
Semper Paratus

the-darkest-one
04.19.2013 , 03:06 AM | #3
Welcome to a superior playstyle! It takes a while to place the abilities in a way that's comfortable to you but it's worth it. I suggest using xpadder. It's not the best but it gets the job done. Here's a few tips with controller key binding that I've realized after playing this game with a controller for over a year;

Don't disregard the mouse. Yes we've chosen to use a controller for a reason but belive me in this game a mouse is required. At least to activate nodes and interact with conversations and the interface in general. So keep your mouse near by.

As you gain abilities you will quickly run out of buttons for them. You can rectify this by binding multiple keys to the same buttons. For example my movement keys WASD are also bound with melee attacks. My restealth and force speed are also under the same button allowing for easy escape. I've also activated the full 8 axies of the joystick to utilise as many keybinds as possible.

Make alternate character keybinds similar. Any ability that is shared between classes such as stun, interrupt or charge should by the same button on all alternate characters made. That why when playing them you won't need to completly relearn your button lay outs.

Keep tweaking button key binds. Till this day I still make adjustments to my controls that make the combat more enjoyable. Your first controller set up wont be the best but before long you will have tweaked your controller to be an extension of your brain. Keep emproving and testing out new ideas.

Good luck I hope this helps.

Takin_A_Sith
04.25.2013 , 09:59 PM | #4
Joystix Pro. Try it out, I believe they have a free stix for TOR. All you need is an Xbox 360 controller.

rrp-swtor
04.26.2013 , 08:22 AM | #5
Started SWTOR as F2P a couple weeks ago and I liked it enough to subscribe but I had to find a way to keep playing in spite of a bad case of tennis elbow.

Xbox controller along with Xpadder works very well for me! Despite the "X" in its name, it is not limited to the Xbox controller.

Making up your first layout will require a bit of reading but once you get the hang of it, it becomes very easy to adapt. The Xpadder web site has a very good series of tutorials too.

I've got 8 active characters (levels 10-20) and, so far, I got away with all of them sharing one layout.

As "the-darkest-one" mentioned, I too play with keyboard, mouse, and controller. If you plan on replacing K&M with controller alone, you may be disapointed. In my case, I just wanted a way to avoid using the mouse as much as possible.

Good luck!

Panzertremby
04.26.2013 , 05:35 PM | #6
get a wired controller and then download pinnacle and download swtor profile for pinnacle