Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Voice-acting underused?

Machine-Elf
04.18.2013 , 02:25 PM | #1
I feel like BioWare's decision to make this game fully voiced has the potential to be revolutionary for the genre, and even the videogames medium in general. So far though, this potential has been unexplored. Below I'll discuss some of the possible applications a fully voiced MMO could have; some of them more feasible than others.

PVP CONVERSATION SYSTEM
Spoiler

INTERRUPT SYSTEM
Spoiler

ADAPTIVE CONVERSATION SYSTEM
Spoiler

VENDORS
Spoiler

ALIEN LANGUAGES
Spoiler

REPUTATION FACTIONS
Spoiler

ADDITIONAL PLAYER VOICES
Spoiler

ninjonxb
04.18.2013 , 02:42 PM | #2
I think the biggest problem with this games dialog structure is the fact that most choices in the game are minimal. Especially compared to other bioware games.

Part of this may be because they had more stories to write.

Could also be related to when the story content may be been written compared to more recent bioware games.

Idk. I would rather see them make more substantial decisions in story before adding interrupt like ME2&3 had.
Free goodies (referral link)
Thank you Bioware for adding in Same Sex Story Arcs .^.
How I feel reading the SWTOR forums http://i.imgur.com/tCp90.gif
SWTOR Calendar of Events(Forum Post)(Google Calendar, iCal, Twitter)

Jacen_Starsolo
04.18.2013 , 02:45 PM | #3
I think it was overused. It was this game's big "thing" but when it came time to update, I think it's one of the biggest barriers. A lot of the voice actors had other things to do. Moved on. Whatever. And since they used some Hollywood actors, signing them to stick around for years type contract probably would have been way too expensive if they may or may not use them again.

Light-years
04.18.2013 , 02:46 PM | #4
The biggest problem with this is that most people spam the space bar any time a cut scene comes up.

If the characters said something in the open world and didn't interrupt play it would be a good idea.
Z'of Z'ipe
The Tempesta Legacy

Shingara
04.18.2013 , 02:50 PM | #5
Sounds good in principle but could you imagine the rant from people if every time you setup a person to person trade a cutscene started.
Health Warning - Thread May Contain Nuts.
First, you can continue as a subscriber, which gives you unlimited access to all game features and future Game Updates at no additional charge. http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20120731

zzoorrzz
04.18.2013 , 02:53 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Jacen_Starsolo View Post
I think it was overused. It was this game's big "thing" but when it came time to update, I think it's one of the biggest barriers. A lot of the voice actors had other things to do. Moved on. Whatever. And since they used some Hollywood actors, signing them to stick around for years type contract probably would have been way too expensive if they may or may not use them again.
Disagree.

Pls devs never abandon voice conversations. It would make me quit probably.

KryloKillian
04.18.2013 , 02:54 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Machine-Elf View Post

PVP CONVERSATION SYSTEM
So far the conversation system is restricted, insofar as it only allows players to interact with the environment. This is true even in group scenarios, where players roll invisible dice for the chance to win the ability to speak with an NPC. In other words, this is essentially the PVE conception of a conversation system.

But what if there were a PVP version of it?

What do I mean by PVP? Well, players communicate with each other via in-game cutscenes. For instance, say someone wants to trade with a friend; instead of simply having a dialogue box confirming your willingness to do so, then jumping right into the trade menu, an in-game cutscene might trigger where a brief conversation takes place between them. This could even open up the possibility for some kind of bartering mini-game, in which players attempt to outdo one another with their negotiation skills.

This is but one of the many potential applications a PVP conversation system might have.
Noooooooope. This would just be super annoying.

Quote:
INTERRUPT SYSTEM
Something similar to Mass Effect's Paragon/Renegade system, in which the player is allowed to interrupt the normal flow of proceedings by performing some kind of show-stopping feat. Adding something like this to group instances, such as Flashpoints, might help toward extending the content's (as of now, very limited) shelf-life.
Would be kinda neat. We already KINDA have this, however. Instead of direct 'press button now' interrupts, however, some conversations simply allow you to '[kill him]' '[punch him]' or '[shoot him]'. Of course, the problem with an interrupt system is the same probably I had in ME and have in these conversations:

I never see any of the other potential dialogue.

Quote:
ADAPTIVE CONVERSATION SYSTEM
A system whereby the player can fashion his character's own unique personality through the conversation choices he makes. In other words, the game learns of a specific personality trait the player exhibits through his conversation choices, and adapts all future conversation options accordingly by taking said trait into account.

Example: A T'wilek NPC approaches the player with a quest. The player is given the usual three-set choice of options from which he can choose how to respond to this request: positive, neutral and negative. If the player responds negatively, the system factors his choice into account, so that by the next time an NPC belonging to an alien species approaches him, the positive and neutral choices are changed to reflect a potential dislike for aliens in general. Respond negatively enough times, and the system will identify the player as a xenophobe/alienist/racist, so that all the player's future interactions will be colored with varying degrees of disgust toward NPCs not belonging to his own race.

Some examples of additional character traits could be Chivalrous, Defender of the Oppressed, Suave, Greedy, Power Mad, Insane.
Nah. It'd be way too expensive and quickly railroad your characters, besides.

Something like the way DA2 did it, where the non-selected text would lean more one way or the other sometimes would be okay from a gameplay perspective, but still much much too expensive for a pretty small gain, considering the amount of VA in this game and how many more lines it would be for each actor/actress.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good kick to the balls, kid.

Machine-Elf
04.18.2013 , 03:30 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by KryloKillian View Post
Would be kinda neat. We already KINDA have this, however. Instead of direct 'press button now' interrupts, however, some conversations simply allow you to '[kill him]' '[punch him]' or '[shoot him]'. Of course, the problem with an interrupt system is the same probably I had in ME and have in these conversations:

I never see any of the other potential dialogue.
Thus adding replayability to the game

Quote: Originally Posted by KryloKillian View Post
Nah. It'd be way too expensive and quickly railroad your characters, besides.
Railroad? Could you elaborate?

Machine-Elf
04.18.2013 , 03:34 PM | #9
EDIT: added Vendors section to OP.

Shingara
04.18.2013 , 03:35 PM | #10
Suggestions forums <------------------ that way.
Health Warning - Thread May Contain Nuts.
First, you can continue as a subscriber, which gives you unlimited access to all game features and future Game Updates at no additional charge. http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20120731