Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Pyrotech PVP - What They Nerfed-Buffed explained

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Vanguard / Powertech
Pyrotech PVP - What They Nerfed-Buffed explained

Ineedavacation
04.18.2013 , 01:40 AM | #1
I know this has been discussed previously but I wanted to put the info in one short post. They nerfed PT in general but the most viable PVP template was always pyro, and I wanted to just address this.

I have run a 7/3/31 pre 2.0 and a 7/3/38 post 2.0, always have run TD.

NERF : Thermal Detonator : no longer the big burst damage (5k+) and is now a 3.5k crit and a weak dot that takes way too long.

NERF : Railshot : No longer can be talented to gain 60%+30% = 90% armor penetration. Now it's can only do 75% when stacking with superheated rail.

NERF : Combustible Gas Cylinder : Burning effect dmg killed by 50%

BUFF : Hydraulic Overrides : great root breaker and out of combat run speed

BUFF : Chaff flare : If you take degauss it removes all roots and movement impairing effects

BUFF : CGC on flame sweep : when talented has a 100% chance to trigger CGC and it also is an area slow (when combined with sweltering heat)

That's basically it. The end result with all the new mechanics is a 10-20% overall damage decrease. The buffs and special moves giving to other classes means we can only do mid-lvl damage and are no longer elite.

Bounty Hunter is now a forlorn class and has really no place in PVP when you compare it to other more buffed classes in 2.0. My recommendation is to play it if you still have fun, but if you want to be a factor move on into a sniper, mara, healer operative, or damage sorc to be a real factor.

FYI bioware, you could fix PT and make it viable again by doing ONE of these:

1) Restoring CGC to it's former lvl
2) Restoring +15% armor piercing to rail shot
3) Restoring full burst dmg capability to thermal detonator

Why do I think I hear Mr. Peckinpaugh laughing already?

oakamp
04.18.2013 , 02:07 AM | #2
pt is a joke after 1.4,
now it is complete a XXXX,
i just played last nite, my other toon can kill 2 enemies when defend a wz point,
while my pt can't even solo 1 at 1v1 encounter,
that is ridiculous.
English is not my first language, still working on it.

quirez
04.18.2013 , 03:18 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Ineedavacation View Post

Why do I think I hear Mr. Peckinpaugh laughing already?
go fire him, as you did in an other very funny thread

but i DO agree with you on one thing - you sure need a vacation.

PT is not a lolstomper anymore, you wont just walk around and see everything die - you actually need a little bit of skill.

AP is probably much better than pyro nowadays - get use to it.

Watch Koozie's video few threads below, try other builds, re-learn to play PT = profit.

change ur char to mara/sniper/sorc = profit for everybody else.

Seriously im starting to thing that this forums have higher WPS (whine per second) than DPS of a full party of snipers

dijskykiller
04.18.2013 , 09:43 AM | #4
Please, stop saying Powertech is unviable. Pyro will never reach the same overall dps because it's focused on single-target. The only reason it was reaching high numbers pre-2.0 is because of OP CGC. We have 3 trees, not just pyrotech.
Ra'ma Vekk
POWERTECH TANK
Ebon Hawk - Ra'ma's Shield Tech PvP Tanking Guide

DarthWoad
04.18.2013 , 10:30 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by dijskykiller View Post
Please, stop saying Powertech is unviable. Pyro will never reach the same overall dps because it's focused on single-target. The only reason it was reaching high numbers pre-2.0 is because of OP CGC. We have 3 trees, not just pyrotech.
CGC wasnt OP it was perfectly fine considering PT only has 2 defensive abilities...

Ottoattack
04.18.2013 , 01:14 PM | #6
As dps, neither pyro nor AP perform well in PvE or PvP. The tank tree is okay, but jugg and sin tanks are better.

No one ever said they PT is completely unviable, but there is a huge difference between being viable (mediocre) and being good. Each tree in every advanced class need to be good at something. Currently all PT trees are mediocre in all aspects.

dijskykiller
04.18.2013 , 01:22 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthWoad View Post
CGC wasnt OP it was perfectly fine considering PT only has 2 defensive abilities...
Then, you are not playing the class right. I still see good pyro players do good damage. Not as sick as before, but still acceptable.
Ra'ma Vekk
POWERTECH TANK
Ebon Hawk - Ra'ma's Shield Tech PvP Tanking Guide

Natholomew
04.18.2013 , 01:43 PM | #8
Then, you are not playing the class right. I still see good pyro players do good damage. Not as sick as before, but still acceptable.
I have both an Assassin and Jugg tank, they are vastly superior.

Ineedavacation
04.18.2013 , 08:13 PM | #9
I love these AP guys saying there is more than one tree for PT, WE KNOW. They are all either mediocre or unviable compared to other classes right now. Like I said in the original post, we need one of three nerfs back to make us viable again.

I feel the AP pain, they should get all kinds of buffs and shieldtech as well to put them on par, but this thread is about pyrotech.

Macroeconomics
04.19.2013 , 03:22 AM | #10
This is the line of thought that many, many hold. It is basically the line of thought that BW holds.

What is missing from this line of thought is any consideration for the change in average player quality for the people who still use PT Pyro. Simply put, only the best PT Pyro players remain in the subclass. The crappy and mediocre players have largely abandoned it. So of course you still see PT Pyro players do well. On average they are more highly skilled than player in FotM classes. We saw this same phenomenon with stealth dps after 1.1/1.2. With Merc dps after 1.2. With Annihiliation Mara. Nerfed classes look BETTER after they get nerfed from a meta average standpoint.