Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tournament of Champions 2.0 Discussion Thread

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Server Forums > Begeren Colony
Tournament of Champions 2.0 Discussion Thread

Riggz
04.17.2013 , 06:35 PM | #1
Discuss away
Urdnought Level 55 Operative
Urdonught Level 55 Scoundrel
<GRIM DETERMINATION>
<INFAMOUS>

MelliMelon
04.17.2013 , 08:25 PM | #2
Specifically, I would like opinions on how we handle the betting. Details are here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...82&postcount=2

MoreMomentum
04.17.2013 , 10:21 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by MelliMelon View Post
Specifically, I would like opinions on how we handle the betting. Details are here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...82&postcount=2
We should consider using odds for more risk/reward.
KAOS - SOAK
Dead on Arrival (Begeren Colony) - Illegal Test Kitchen (The Bastion)

MelliMelon
04.18.2013 , 12:44 AM | #4
The only question then becomes who decides the odds? I feel like there are too many unknowns for deciding the odds. The system I have right now is sort of self-defined for the odds. If a lot of people are betting on person X, they won't gain as much as the person who is the only better on person Y.

Zenithan
04.18.2013 , 01:41 AM | #5
I don't really see any way to use odds that wouldn't be extremely subjective. If anything, just dividing the pool among the winners will sort everything out. The odds will be there; we just won't know what they are until the bets are all in.

Syberduh
04.18.2013 , 04:35 AM | #6
You can't divide the pool evenly. It has to be proportional to the size of the bet -- otherwise someone who bets big will get screwed whether or not he wins. Looks like the spreadsheet is set up that way so it's all good.

Edit: Melyn you should make this explicit or a lot of people will probably wind up feeling cheated. The prize pool is not simply split evenly between the winners. The prize pool is split proportionally according to the % of the bets placed on the winning player.

Completely unbiased Example: 2 duelists.

Ushanev and Melyn bet on duelist 1

Ushanev bets 9 credits
Melyn bets 1 credit (wuss)

Urdnought bets on duelist 2

He bets 10 credits (should have bet where the smart money was).

The total prize pool is 20 credits.

If duelist 1 wins, the 20 credits are not split evenly. Rather Ushanev gets 90% of the prize pool because he placed 90% of the bets that were placed on the winning duelist.

So Ushanev wins 18 credits and Melyn wins 2 credits.

Kind of a fun, self-regulating system that also offers bettors a way to hedge on longshot bets.
Ushanev Syberjugg<Illegal Test Kitchen>
Because chicks dig orange overcoats and guys who don't die.
And streams. Chicks totally dig streams. I mean, right guys? They do, right?

EFSoupy
04.18.2013 , 08:50 AM | #7
What about having someone act as a bookie? Set an initial "odds" based on what you think will happen, then run the odds recursively so that as each bet is placed, the odds change to correct for the pool. Then the bookie just has to keep track of who has placed bets and what the odds were when they placed the bet. It could be done fairly easily in a spreadsheet, then you just need to worry about having a bookie for each fight who can keep the numbers straight (which shouldn't be hard).

Example. Moco bets 300K on Aikon at 3:5 odds against Flux. Then the odds shift a bit and Melyn puts 500K on at 33:50 (3.3 to 5) odds on Flux. The numbers used are arbitrary, but I think the idea is there.

You can tweak some values a bit if you want to improve the chances that the house ends up with some credits for their trouble, but it seems like a reasonable way to go about it. Actually, that may be how it's done in some systems, I'm more of a math man than a gambling one.
Azucena- Vanguard (Shield/Assault), Moco - Scoundrel (Sawbones), Chapulin - Shadow (Kinetic/ Infiltration), Cagafuego - Commando (Gunnery)
<The Eternal Guardians>
Begeren Colony

Zenithan
04.18.2013 , 10:39 AM | #8
Dividing it based on contribution is the only fair way. I wouldn't be too impressed if the "bookie" gave my favourite knight lower odds than their favourite knight, and I don't imagine those knights would be either. Having someone set initial odds based on their perception of "skill" will just cause drama.

franknelson
04.18.2013 , 03:27 PM | #9
Since Melyn and Urdnought are hosting this they could just set the odds. I mean any way you do this there will be drama. But those 2 should have the say on what the odds are since they are the ones hosting the event and the ones doing all the leg work. If someone doesn't like it tough. Just my opinion.
Tachi'Koma - Sentinel
Kuiper - Sage
Lagunitas - Vangaurd

EFSoupy
04.18.2013 , 03:57 PM | #10
Looking at some of the posts about ASB and BSR not making a profit (or losing money) on the endeavor, I think Ush probably has the best means to go about it.
Azucena- Vanguard (Shield/Assault), Moco - Scoundrel (Sawbones), Chapulin - Shadow (Kinetic/ Infiltration), Cagafuego - Commando (Gunnery)
<The Eternal Guardians>
Begeren Colony