Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Cool Under Pressure vs. Bravado for a Sharpshooter

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Gunslinger / Sniper
Cool Under Pressure vs. Bravado for a Sharpshooter

Pilgrim_Grey's Avatar


Pilgrim_Grey
04.17.2013 , 12:57 PM | #1
I'm still in my low 30s on my Sharpshooter, but this is the build I'm aiming for. Pre-2.0, I went for Sab Utility Belt to get Flash Grenade up faster (and thermal for trash mobs).

2.0 has basically given me a choice that seems "much of a muchness" so I can get to Independent Anarchy. Cool Under Pressure is a rather underwhelming HoT, but it does stack up a bit and makes for less resting. Bravado seems fairly meh to me as well, since my Energy issues have been much better since getting Foxhole in the Sharpshooter tree, and I can only see this improving as I talent further up (since so many talents reduce energy usage).

So I'm actually inclined to Cool Under Pressure at the moment. But if anyone further along can tell me that Bravado really is more useful in late game PVE and PVP, I'll go for it.

THobbsy's Avatar


THobbsy
04.17.2013 , 09:14 PM | #2
I'd go for cool under pressure, the +10 energy isn't really a big deal for energy managment, I don't see the need. In the DF hybrid, it may be another story, but one that I have little experience with.

Lightning_'s Avatar


Lightning_
04.18.2013 , 05:46 AM | #3
I'd rather take neither. Get full 3% crit and 2% alacrity. The rest of the points can be put for example into Holed Up or Kneecappin' or Trip Shot (if you plan to do PvP)

If you only do PvE and want that 15% bonus for your Flyby, than I guess take Bravado. 10 energy is not a big deal (because you energy regen lower limit goes up to 66% then), but it's something.

Kovaos's Avatar


Kovaos
04.18.2013 , 11:59 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Lightning_ View Post
I'd rather take neither. Get full 3% crit and 2% alacrity. The rest of the points can be put for example into Holed Up or Kneecappin' or Trip Shot (if you plan to do PvP)

If you only do PvE and want that 15% bonus for your Flyby, than I guess take Bravado. 10 energy is not a big deal (because you energy regen lower limit goes up to 66% then), but it's something.
I do NOT advise getting the +2% Alacrity. Don't waste points on this unless you are going full blown Alacrity when you min/max.

I'm confused by this build. Is this for PvE? Trip Shot and Kneecappin' are a must for PvP. If this is a PvE build why do you have Percussive Shot, Diversion, and Spacer?
"my friend said he got a pack of level 50 armor and all i got was level 47 pants."

Pilgrim_Grey's Avatar


Pilgrim_Grey
04.18.2013 , 01:15 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Lightning_ View Post
I'd rather take neither. Get full 3% crit and 2% alacrity. The rest of the points can be put for example into Holed Up or Kneecappin' or Trip Shot (if you plan to do PvP)

If you only do PvE and want that 15% bonus for your Flyby, than I guess take Bravado. 10 energy is not a big deal (because you energy regen lower limit goes up to 66% then), but it's something.
Independent Anarchy boosts a whole lot more than Flyby. It buffs all the AOEs (sweeping and thermal) as well as Sab Charge. That's a boost to a large range of abilities that I'd rather not pass up. The alacrity isn't going to replace a 15% boost to those abilities, and I'm dubious that the 1% added boost to crit chance is really needed after gearing up.

Kovaos, I'm not completely sold on Percussive Shot, since it only affects so many instances. It has come in handy with some pesky melee types getting on my case in PVP and PVE, so I've kept it so far. If there was a way to use its point and find another for Kneecappin', I would do it.

And this is a build to use in both PVP and PVE. Spacer is helpful for both and reduces the activation time on Flyby, so it seems more worth it than getting Leg Shot up more often. Diversion can help out in both as well, in my experience. Don't get me wrong, Kneecappin' would be useful for those times where I'd need it, but I use Leg Shot a lot less than Pulse Detonator or Diversion. Given all of the above, I guess I would have to ask what you are seeing as so needed in all those boosts to Leg Shot? It can be nice sometimes in Huttball and maybe to slow down an annoying DoTer in PVP, but again, Diversion, Spacer, and Independent Anarchy seem to add up to a lot more use for me.

Yeah, and half the time I want Leg Shot to do its thing, the class I'm facing pulls out their immunity to it, anyway. They don't all have it, but that seems to be the way of it a lot of the time.

Kovaos's Avatar


Kovaos
04.19.2013 , 08:52 AM | #6
First, with field spec I can no longer advise setting up builds that compliment PvP and PvE. It's fairly inexpensive and well worth the credits/cartel coins. The main reason for this being is you will not be able to optimize your build to it's real potential. There are talents for PvP: Trip Shot, Heads Up, Kneecappin' and there are PvE talents: Foxhole that just don't work well in all in scenarios.

That being said, Leg Shot is one of our best utilities! I use it ALL the time. With the addition of Kneecappin' it is, IMO, one of our best and most crucial talents in PvP. If they blow their CD to break Leg Shot then you should win the fight period. You need to bring LS into your PvP rotation and hotkey it.

But like I stated above Leg Shot is not helpful in PvE so your build would be ruined to invest in it when you are not in a WZ. Same with Diversion since it does not work on Bosses.

My suggestion: Invest in Field Spec. Optimize your builds for your goal.
"my friend said he got a pack of level 50 armor and all i got was level 47 pants."

Kaos_KidSWTOR's Avatar


Kaos_KidSWTOR
04.25.2013 , 10:40 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Kovaos View Post
First, with field spec I can no longer advise setting up builds that compliment PvP and PvE. It's fairly inexpensive and well worth the credits/cartel coins. The main reason for this being is you will not be able to optimize your build to it's real potential. There are talents for PvP: Trip Shot, Heads Up, Kneecappin' and there are PvE talents: Foxhole that just don't work well in all in scenarios.

That being said, Leg Shot is one of our best utilities! I use it ALL the time. With the addition of Kneecappin' it is, IMO, one of our best and most crucial talents in PvP. If they blow their CD to break Leg Shot then you should win the fight period. You need to bring LS into your PvP rotation and hotkey it.

But like I stated above Leg Shot is not helpful in PvE so your build would be ruined to invest in it when you are not in a WZ. Same with Diversion since it does not work on Bosses.

My suggestion: Invest in Field Spec. Optimize your builds for your goal.
I agree with this. This build confuses the heck out of me. What did you do to it to screw it up THIS bad. my personal build for my GS when he hits 55 is http://www.swtor-spy.com/skill-tree-...32011120000022

That build would be utter carnage in PvP. getting healed for being in cover. Yes Please! I know i dont get Burst Volley but. Why is that even a tree ability? its kinda pointless... i would rather want some cool big damage attack rather than a pointless buff. 10% alacrity? thats nothing compared to Ataru form Zen, thats 30% alacrity for 6 attacks! 2 extra energy per second? thats not a whole lot if its only every 15 seconds. I would rather want a new attack than that. like take the name Burst Volley and use it for a cool new attack. Like mabie a 4.5 second channeled blaster shot attack? Ok a bit off topic there but still. Dont Get burst Volley its kinda pointless.

namesaretough's Avatar


namesaretough
04.25.2013 , 11:37 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaos_KidSWTOR View Post
I know i dont get Burst Volley but. Why is that even a tree ability? its kinda pointless...
I guess you missed where it reset the speedshot cooldown too.
Smugglin

Kaos_KidSWTOR's Avatar


Kaos_KidSWTOR
04.25.2013 , 01:47 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by namesaretough View Post
I guess you missed where it reset the speedshot cooldown too.
I know it does but speedshot is on a 12 sec CD as is (with talents). 12 sec is not that terrible. and Burst Volley is on a 45 sec CD. so your saying its worth it to invest a point in a 45 sec CD ability for one ability? not happening. i would rather have 2 points in Black Market Mods than 1 point in BMM's and 1 in BV.

Taerrik's Avatar


Taerrik
04.26.2013 , 04:48 AM | #10
Im currently toying with a 23/23 hybrid since it gets me both trickshot and sabotage, skills I view as two of the most powerful abilities a smuggler has, and it is working out well so far.

However, that being said, having trickshot I really really miss having burst volley, the cooldown reset on speedshot basically allows you to trickshot almost every 2nd GCD
Pot5
High Council
Tae'vin~ Gunslinger