Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Q] Keep set bonus or upgrade?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Shadow / Assassin
[Q] Keep set bonus or upgrade?

Lothtia
04.17.2013 , 11:10 AM | #1
Since I leveled to 55, I've been holding off upgrading my gear with the new drops in the expansion, only upgrading the mods and enhancements so far.. What is of concern for me though, as a tank-assin Is it worth keeping the set bonus (61's) or upgrading to the 63/69's ones without the bonus? (was gone from game awhile)

MaerArchan
04.17.2013 , 11:42 AM | #2
I think the 2-piece bonus of 5% increased shield is quite nice. Especially compared to accuracy based gear. The 4-piece bonus can probably be skipped.

IInox
04.17.2013 , 12:26 PM | #3
obv. more armor rating!
[Shadow DPS] Inox @ The Red Ecplise
New Shadow Balance in training!
All 3 Shadow/Assassin Spec Compendiums ( Updated Inf/Dec for 3.0!!)

Eternalnight
04.17.2013 , 12:53 PM | #4
Unless the difference in the level of the armoring is HUGE the chances are your damage reduction from armor is going to increase less than 2% so loosing the 2% from 4-piece set bonus means you have less damage reduction

Eternalnight
04.17.2013 , 01:11 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by IInox View Post
obv. more armor rating!
Obviously not . Why is it that so many people don't even look at any numbers

So I test my gear with the old dread guard (63) armorings with set bonus and have 5863 armor and 33.52% K/E damage reduction.

Swap 2 items for 69 armoring(which is 2 gear tiers above it) without set bonus and have 6026 armor and 32.09% damage reduction.

So that more armor translated into less damage reduction.

So there we have it. In order to gain 0.57% damage reduction from armor you would suggest me to drop 2% damage reduction? The total damage reduction does not increase when doing this. It decreases by 1.43%.

Now, you could maybe, just maybe, justify the loss of 4-piece set bonus by the higher endurance and willpower, but not by the armor rating. The higher armor rating is useless since it gives less than the set bonus.

Lothtia
04.17.2013 , 10:17 PM | #6
So the consensus is, No to set bonus until you are able to get the upper tier set bonuses to replace them... Keep the Mods and Enhancements from the 63's to stay viable as a tank I guess then ?

Hantoyama
04.18.2013 , 01:59 AM | #7
Just wondering. How is it for DPS? I`m deception and I currently have the old 4 set bonus (61). 15 % on vs seem really nice, but then again, 69 armorings would give me a lot more willpower + some more armor. I mean, it should be worth it... I think I will give up the set bonus as soon as I have 4 69 armorings. Or am I wrong?

BTW: How exactly does the set bonus work? 20% crit + 15% on vs = 35 % crit chance on vs?
Or 20% crit + 15% = 23% crit on vs. I was always under the impression it must be version 1, but not 100% sure ^^

Wolvereen
04.18.2013 , 03:12 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Eternalnight View Post
Obviously not . Why is it that so many people don't even look at any numbers

So I test my gear with the old dread guard (63) armorings with set bonus and have 5863 armor and 33.52% K/E damage reduction.

Swap 2 items for 69 armoring(which is 2 gear tiers above it) without set bonus and have 6026 armor and 32.09% damage reduction.

So that more armor translated into less damage reduction.

So there we have it. In order to gain 0.57% damage reduction from armor you would suggest me to drop 2% damage reduction? The total damage reduction does not increase when doing this. It decreases by 1.43%.

Now, you could maybe, just maybe, justify the loss of 4-piece set bonus by the higher endurance and willpower, but not by the armor rating. The higher armor rating is useless since it gives less than the set bonus.
THIS!

and it's not only the armoring value, the 4 piece bonus gives you an overall 2% dmg-reduction on all types of damage

thats why i'll keep my setbonus and change only mods, enhancements and augments.

Wanchope
04.29.2013 , 11:05 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolvereen View Post
THIS!

and it's not only the armoring value, the 4 piece bonus gives you an overall 2% dmg-reduction on all types of damage

thats why i'll keep my setbonus and change only mods, enhancements and augments.
This makes sense on Shadow tanks.... but what about guardian tanks? Our set bonus is different.

Astarica
04.29.2013 , 12:05 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Wanchope View Post
This makes sense on Shadow tanks.... but what about guardian tanks? Our set bonus is different.
Unless your set bonus is bad it's usually better to keep the set bonus since the armor upgrade just isn't very much.