Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Is Assault Cannon Needed?


Haggardbr's Avatar


Haggardbr
04.24.2013 , 01:27 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by spectreclees View Post
It's sad the only ranged/healer class on republic that uses blasters is Commando. I'd rather not be so limited to something that looks ridiculous in actual combat. (I have a 50 commando, but refuse to play it because of the cannon.)
That's why I use a blaster rifle, because 1st I want to use one, 2nd I want the range from the commandos, 3rd the name "commando" is much more appealing to me than "vanguard" and 4th some cannons are ridiculously looking.

For PvP, SM FPs, HM FPs, dailies and general quests, I always use blaster rifles.

The only exception I make are operations, where heavy DPS is extremely needed. Then I understand the situation, other than that, I don't see a reason I cannot use a blaster.

And I've run dozens of Lv.55 HM FPs to this moment using a blaster rifle and NOT A SINGLE PERSON complained at me about that.
Sarah'kerrígan Jhom Kérrigan Jhota
Suarel

spectreclees's Avatar


spectreclees
04.24.2013 , 02:12 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Haggardbr View Post
That's why I use a blaster rifle, because 1st I want to use one, 2nd I want the range from the commandos, 3rd the name "commando" is much more appealing to me than "vanguard" and 4th some cannons are ridiculously looking.

For PvP, SM FPs, HM FPs, dailies and general quests, I always use blaster rifles.

The only exception I make are operations, where heavy DPS is extremely needed. Then I understand the situation, other than that, I don't see a reason I cannot use a blaster.

And I've run dozens of Lv.55 HM FPs to this moment using a blaster rifle and NOT A SINGLE PERSON complained at me about that.
I hope/wish Bioware will embrace this and allow us to use blaster rifles, it gives us options. Jedi can use Swords/Staves/Sabers. Why can't we use rifles? Now I know BH's will complain about this and I've got a solution. Let them choose between rifle or dual wield? Maybe?

JouerTue's Avatar


JouerTue
04.24.2013 , 03:03 AM | #23
i like to use the rifle, i bought it when i had a lot of tionese comms and all the companions i use were in columi, added some better mod, enhancement, crystal and i joined a HM FP, all went as it was supposed to go and no one said a word about the green ray from a blaster instead of a cannon..but i have to say that the look of a commando with his cannon calling a MP is really cocky.

Haggardbr's Avatar


Haggardbr
04.25.2013 , 10:08 AM | #24
After playing some HM FPs with vanguard with the same kind of gear that I use or same level mods, I realized that my primary dps ( ~ 1100 - 1360) with the rifle is as just as equal as a vanguard.

In other words, what I understood is that using a rifle and being a dps, we just equalize our dps with a vanguard making us a "ranged vanguard".

I also saw that I did have more primary dps and bonuses than some other dps vanguards with same kind of mods that I use.
Sarah'kerrígan Jhom Kérrigan Jhota
Suarel

ArchangelLBC's Avatar


ArchangelLBC
04.25.2013 , 01:54 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Haggardbr View Post
After playing some HM FPs with vanguard with the same kind of gear that I use or same level mods, I realized that my primary dps ( ~ 1100 - 1360) with the rifle is as just as equal as a vanguard.

In other words, what I understood is that using a rifle and being a dps, we just equalize our dps with a vanguard making us a "ranged vanguard".

I also saw that I did have more primary dps and bonuses than some other dps vanguards with same kind of mods that I use.
Which vanguards are we talking about? The good ones aren't gonna be going full assault. You should be going gunnery, at which point this discussion becomes moot somewhat. If you're going assault though you're severely gimping yourself in a PVE situation using a rifle because you're missing you're spammable HiB reset.

And if you're gonna compare to a vanguard, keep in mind they don't use FA in their rotation, but have SEVERAL talents which boost HiB damage which we lack. We lack them because assault cannons have much more weapon damage naturally, so our HiBs shouldn't need as much help, but that's only true so long as we're using an assault cannon.

I never understand people who willingly lower their performance in the name of fashion =/

Still, as long as you aren't hitting an enrage, it's your account. Do what you want, but don't try and sit here and claim your damage isn't any worse than it would be if you used an assault cannon. That is factually inaccurate. Just admit you're sacrificing performance you don't think you need for the sake of fashion. We'll all have a lot more respect for your honesty.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

Haggardbr's Avatar


Haggardbr
04.25.2013 , 02:37 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
I never understand people who willingly lower their performance in the name of fashion =/
Because most people just want to play for the fun? And they don't make a game their life?

Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
Still, as long as you aren't hitting an enrage, it's your account. Do what you want, but don't try and sit here and claim your damage isn't any worse than it would be if you used an assault cannon. That is factually inaccurate. Just admit you're sacrificing performance you don't think you need for the sake of fashion. We'll all have a lot more respect for your honesty.
I didn't say I don't lose damage, I know I do, you are saying that, I can pretty much compare stats with a rifle and a cannon and see the difference, I'm not blind nor even stupid to realize that.

I just said that using a rifle, the dps can be comparable with a vanguard. I know that, I also have a vanguard, I just don't play it because of the stupid 10 mt range, which, for a soldier using a rifle is pretty much stupid in my opinion.

And YES, I am an assault commando and I don't have any trouble in PvE, nor even in PvP using a rifle. And for your info, I do carry a cannon around in my inventory for Ops. I'm not dumb to use a rifle in an Ops if I want to dps.

This is my skill tree if you want to check:
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#80...Zfhrrzorffdz.3


What people don't seem to realize is that this is just a freaking game ffs...

For general stuff (PvE, PvP, 50 & 55 HM Fps) I will use a rifle, that never gave me any trouble nor my group hit the enrage timer, but for Ops, of course I need a cannon.
Sarah'kerrígan Jhom Kérrigan Jhota
Suarel

EliteHippie's Avatar


EliteHippie
04.25.2013 , 02:49 PM | #27
I would refuse to run high level group content with any ******* commando running around with a rifle. I had those type of people in guilds before and if they choose to make that idiotic decision, the debauchery does not end there.

Kaos_KidSWTOR's Avatar


Kaos_KidSWTOR
04.25.2013 , 03:02 PM | #28
I personaly think that the Cells should be changed when you become commando to force you to use AC or you will not be in a cell. thats just stupid to gimp yourself on DPS and Charged Bolts just for looks. if your working on that logic then you need to just play Operative. Its like playing a Gunslinger with one gun or a Sniper with a Blaster Rifle. It works but your gimping yourself.

arcaspiff's Avatar


arcaspiff
04.25.2013 , 05:07 PM | #29
I am level 20, and I will be keeping an up to date AC and frankly I will probably use the AC 98% of the time. I was curious though, so I got a decent rifle, modded it, and queued for a Warzone. During the WZ another Commando told me that i should be using an AC. I told him i knew this, but I was simply experimenting. He told me i was a terrible player and such. I shrugged and kept PVPing.

By the end of the match, I had the most damage, second in kills, several medals for defending, and not a single death (which is mostly due to great healing)

What I noticed was, the only ability i wasn't using was Charged Bolts. I realize that ability does good damage, but at the cost of standing still for 1.45 seconds. I know its not a lot of time, but I did sort of feel more mobile and actiony. I feel with the cannon, i just sit back in one place. With the Rifle i could control the flow of battle, get in and out of situations, and generally just have fun. It was a good experiment.

I do understand that further in the gunnery tree there are things that take advantage of the AC and I WILL use that mostly. But sometimes I will feel like a Rifle day.

Maybe you shouldnt be so quick to judge, if the player can back it up, let him do it. Granted, I think it would only be good in PvP or questing situations. Judge the player, not the weapons.
Hand of the Sith JOIN TODAY!
J'arka, Powertech on The Ebon Hawk
Guild Leader of Hand of the Sith

oaceen's Avatar


oaceen
04.25.2013 , 05:19 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Haggardbr View Post
Because most people just want to play for the fun? And they don't make a game their life?



I didn't say I don't lose damage, I know I do, you are saying that, I can pretty much compare stats with a rifle and a cannon and see the difference, I'm not blind nor even stupid to realize that.

I just said that using a rifle, the dps can be comparable with a vanguard. I know that, I also have a vanguard, I just don't play it because of the stupid 10 mt range, which, for a soldier using a rifle is pretty much stupid in my opinion.

And YES, I am an assault commando and I don't have any trouble in PvE, nor even in PvP using a rifle. And for your info, I do carry a cannon around in my inventory for Ops. I'm not dumb to use a rifle in an Ops if I want to dps.

This is my skill tree if you want to check:
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#80...Zfhrrzorffdz.3


What people don't seem to realize is that this is just a freaking game ffs...

For general stuff (PvE, PvP, 50 & 55 HM Fps) I will use a rifle, that never gave me any trouble nor my group hit the enrage timer, but for Ops, of course I need a cannon.
so much for honesty