Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

An update on the One-Time-Password system (April 16th 2013)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
An update on the One-Time-Password system (April 16th 2013)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Andryah
04.16.2013 , 05:28 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by CaptRavenous View Post
All that aside, the way security keys are being handled is ridiculous.
The way you are handling the issue is ridiculous IMO.

Many people are working just fine without a security key, and NOT getting OTPed to death either. So explore your options on that end of things then.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.

Wodaz
04.16.2013 , 05:37 PM | #22
I will never own a mobile device.
Wow!!! simply WOW!!

I'm not trying to be rude but you own this game and a internet based computer, but wont ever own a moblie device!?!? Hrmm!?!? I'm smelling a troll!
"Wodaz here! I'm all about havin' fun. You know, get a couple cocktails in me, start a fire in someone's kitchen. Maybe go to SeaWorld, take my pants off. Anyway, I kinda known for my catch phrase WHAMMY!!!!!"

CaptRavenous
04.16.2013 , 05:39 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post

Many people are working just fine without a security key, and NOT getting OTPed to death either. So explore your options on that end of things then.
I tried to get a physical key. They are not available.
I don't own mobile devices, because I have a health condition that leaves me sensitive to strong electromagnetic signals, such as Wi-Fi. I have NO wireless devices in my home, and therefore, no mobile devices.
I tried enabling cookies for this site. That isn't working, either.
I don't get OTP when logging into the game, ONLY on the forums. Every. Single. Time.

My complaint is legitimate. Why you feel the need to attack this, is beyond me.
Consider your opinion read, and rejected.
THE GREYWALKER CONCLAVE- Master Zarchon Greywalker
HOUSE OF XARDOX - Darth Xardox

BEGEREN COLONY ROLE PLAY SERVER - west coast

Laerian
04.16.2013 , 05:42 PM | #24
Interesting because the described system behaviour doesn't match with my experience

- I'm a subscriber
- I have a dynamic IP (that changes everytime I reboot the computer) confirmed.
- With the previous system I've set 3 security questions. Like 90% of the times I logged I had to enter one of the answers.
- I didn't have a security key
- I use IE and I have cookies enabled

Since the OTP implementation:

- I have never been asked to enter an OTP before (or the security answers), not in MySWTOR nor the launcher. Which is strange because the dynamic IP.
- Today I set a security key so I had to enter an OTP in MySWTOR. (which is expected)

Anyways, I'm fine with it so please don't include me in the black list (cueck cueck).

GoldenHornet
04.16.2013 , 05:54 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Verita View Post
I really wish you would switch to time-based One-time Passwords according to RFC 6238.

Then we could use apps like the Google Authenticator (and many others) which is available for iPhone, Android and Blackberry for free instead of having to install yet another app for authentication.

Would be cheaper for you too, I guess.

And the best thing for me: If I have to switch my phone for any reason, I just use the same initial code, which I have printed and stored in my drawer, to activate code generation on my new phone without having to unlink the old phone or to call customer support to do it (in case it is lost or broken).
Yup, I use Google Authenticator for Gmail, LastPass and Guild Wars 2. You could have saved a load of time, money and hassle for yourselves and us by just implementing this open source standard instead of creating your own.

CaptRavenous
04.16.2013 , 05:56 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post

Good for them. Too bad I'm not one of them.

Quote: Originally Posted by Wodaz View Post
Wow!!! simply WOW!!

I'm not trying to be rude but you own this game and a internet based computer, but wont ever own a moblie device!?!? Hrmm!?!? I'm smelling a troll!
I live everyday hearing high-pitched ringing in my ears, simply because I'm surrounded by neighbours who do use Wi-Fi and wireless devices.
The closer I get to them, the more pronounced the ringing becomes, and close proximity exposure will cause severe headaches.

Still, you both seem to be defending Bioware's lack of Physical Keys being in stock.

I've been playing here since October 2011. Been a subscriber the whole time. Under the old system, with the security passwords, I NEVER got hit with secret questions while logging into the game, or onto the SW:TOR website.

Now, I get OTP'd every time I log onto the forums.

Ok, annoying enough by itself, but since the Physical Security keys are so cheap, I figured, "Alright, I'll bite the bullet on this one, and get a Physical Key for the first time ever in 10 years of playing MMOs."

Except, Bioware no longer has any Physical Security Keys.

If I were the only person having this problem, or there were so very few of us, you may have a reason to attack me.
This problem is affecting thousands of players. Do a search here for either "OTP" or "One Time Password", read through the dozens of threads about the problems people are having, then come back.

This IS a legitimate complaint. From a person who loves this MMO more than any other game I have ever played, MMO or otherwise. Your need to defend Bioware over this and attack those who are having problems, is stupid.

Wodaz
04.16.2013 , 06:03 PM | #27
Still, you both seem to be defending Bioware's lack of Physical Keys being in stock.
No...I agree they need to replenish as soon as possible, but were suggesting things that most tech savoy people have. If those options don't work for you they need to do something about it.
"Wodaz here! I'm all about havin' fun. You know, get a couple cocktails in me, start a fire in someone's kitchen. Maybe go to SeaWorld, take my pants off. Anyway, I kinda known for my catch phrase WHAMMY!!!!!"

CaptRavenous
04.16.2013 , 06:06 PM | #28
Alright, I have an update.

Just for the heck of it, I decided to google "Star Wars: The Old Republic security keys".

It seems, while they are out of stock on the SW:TOR website, they are in-stock on EA's Origin store.

Crazy.

I got one, problem solved.

Still, it shouldn't be such a hassle to find or get them. I still think Philip_BW has a lot of work to do to perfect their new security measures.

I-ku-u
04.16.2013 , 06:20 PM | #29
Um, do you folks realize that the SMTP e-mail system was not designed to deliver mail instantly? It was designed with a built-in buffer between hops, in case any intermediate server was temporarily down. It was designed to get the mail there eventually, if at all possible, and when it's most convenient, which usually is "right away", but could equally well be, "only in the middle of the night". The fact that, most of the time, our e-mail arrives effectively instantly is not something that can be relied upon, even if we all want it.

This issue doesn't affect me in the least, but I still find myself annoyed by the design of it.
I live as my name implies.

Andryah
04.16.2013 , 06:20 PM | #30
Negative.

Setting aside the security key solution for a moment....I am however suggesting there are things about your personal PC setup/configuration that other people are not experiencing.. which leads to the conclusion that there are still things you can do on your end to solve your problem.

For example:

You don't get OTPed on the launcher.. so it's not IP address rolling in your case.
You do get OTPed every time you access the web site. That indicates a browser setup/options_setting of some sort.

The browser issue is actually the simpler to deal with because IP rolling is generally beyond ones control and is in the hands of your ISP.

AND.. you are not being OTPed to death getting into the game... only the web site... which frankly if I was in that situation... I would be playing the game and not accessing the website/forum except for account specific transactions until they restock the keys (which Philip has said is being addressed). I'm sure there are some forum member that wish I had this problem.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.