Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New to PT tanking...how to maximize tanking gear?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Vanguard / Powertech
New to PT tanking...how to maximize tanking gear?

thecoffeeguy
04.15.2013 , 02:39 PM | #1
So, with 2.0 changes, I decided to try out tanking on my PT. I have to say, I absolutely LOVE it. It is a blast to run and I feel like I run through stuff, even though I dont have full tank gear.

I am shooting to get the supercommandos gear set. I have the shield right now and bought some armor/mods/enhancements from the Makeb vendor to try and get better gear. As of now, I have tanking items for:

-helmet
-gloves
-legs
-boots
-shield
-one implant

Definitely want to run some HM FP as a tank.

My question is, what should I be trying to stack the most of?
Shield abosrb?
Shield rating?
Defense rating?

Right now, I am at about 15% defense change, 33% shield rating and 39% shield absorb.

I appreciate the help.

Cheers,

TCG

cruciFX
04.16.2013 , 02:12 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by thecoffeeguy View Post
So, with 2.0 changes, I decided to try out tanking on my PT. I have to say, I absolutely LOVE it. It is a blast to run and I feel like I run through stuff, even though I dont have full tank gear.

I am shooting to get the supercommandos gear set. I have the shield right now and bought some armor/mods/enhancements from the Makeb vendor to try and get better gear. As of now, I have tanking items for:

-helmet
-gloves
-legs
-boots
-shield
-one implant

Definitely want to run some HM FP as a tank.

My question is, what should I be trying to stack the most of?
Shield abosrb?
Shield rating?
Defense rating?

Right now, I am at about 15% defense change, 33% shield rating and 39% shield absorb.

I appreciate the help.

Cheers,

TCG
Well, since our procs are all on shield chance, defense has the least priority. I don't know the new numbers yet, but pre 2.0 it was about 15/50-60/50-60 (at least what i was shooting for).
Supercommando is correct, and the non-set version is demolisher, if i remember correctly.
There is a thread in the roles subforum regarding new stat priorities, you could check that out for more detail.

Viampa
04.16.2013 , 05:06 AM | #3
If you were min/maxed pre 2.0 just replace what you ahd with equiv new mods/enhancements.. this should give you close to what the new min/max will be.

When I get more data from clearing new Ops I will try and post new min/max

Mc_Gregor
04.16.2013 , 05:57 AM | #4
Here is great analysis what stat ratings you should be aming for:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=616779

To sum it up shortly- in order to get the best possible damage reduction you should stack defense first, then shield then absorption. And absorption only when your defence and shield rating passes 800 and 700. Values like {500,{defense->300,shield->200,absorb->0}} mean with 500 total ratings (defence+shield+absorption) you should have 300 def, 200 shield and 0 abs to reach best possible level of damage reduction for your current gear level.

Zhaaratustra
04.16.2013 , 07:29 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Mc_Gregor View Post

To sum it up shortly- in order to get the best possible damage reduction you should stack defense first, then shield then absorption. And absorption only when your defence and shield rating passes 800 and 700. Values like {500,{defense->300,shield->200,absorb->0}} mean with 500 total ratings (defence+shield+absorption) you should have 300 def, 200 shield and 0 abs to reach best possible level of damage reduction for your current gear level.
The math is strong in this thread, but as soon as someone tells me I should get defense as a powertech tank I can't stop laughing.
BWs changes to shield+absorb scaling and the used formula doesn't change anything about how a powertech tank should be played which still means that defense is the last value an powertech tank wants. Shield rating without absorb is useless and vice versa, so one wants to get both values as close to eachother as possible.

My advice would be get shield as high as possible and make sure absorb isn't that far behind, accept defense only if it isn't avoidable in items like implants or ear pieces
Avistyn
~~Dark Society~~
Teamlead SWToR section

Mc_Gregor
04.16.2013 , 09:24 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Zhaaratustra View Post
The math is strong in this thread, but as soon as someone tells me I should get defense as a powertech tank I can't stop laughing.
BWs changes to shield+absorb scaling and the used formula doesn't change anything about how a powertech tank should be played which still means that defense is the last value an powertech tank wants. Shield rating without absorb is useless and vice versa, so one wants to get both values as close to eachother as possible.

My advice would be get shield as high as possible and make sure absorb isn't that far behind, accept defense only if it isn't avoidable in items like implants or ear pieces
Well laugh all you want, as defensive formulas stand now, getting defence is the way to minimize your incomming damage and surivie which ultimately is your job. If you lack threat generation, overheat and loose aggro then and only then you should consider reitemizing. And those calculations take into consideration that shield and absorption only work together.

Zhaaratustra
04.16.2013 , 10:25 AM | #7
Ah and here comes the true believer. I have main tanked 16er HC S+V up to Styrak and TfB to back up my claims.

A powertech tank relies on being hit which is supported by our skills and general damage reduction in comparision to sins aand jugger tanks. This haven't magically changed with 2.0, it's still the same.

In real world tanking it's exactly the other way around then this thread advices. An powertech tank have to raise shield and absorb first and only if you have reached a good % you can have a look at defense.

And by this considarations you mean such numbers {1600,{defense->960,shield->640,absorb->0}}? Of course 0 absorb makes totally sense right.
Avistyn
~~Dark Society~~
Teamlead SWToR section

thecoffeeguy
04.16.2013 , 10:55 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Mc_Gregor View Post

Ya, I read that thread and to be honest, it confused me.
I thought all along that shield rating and shield absorb were the most important stats, then defense rating.
I also found this thread in the Vanguard forums:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=624233

Short thread, but the point is, shield rating/absorb are what PT's/Vanguards need.

As of now, im shooting to get the supercommandos set (which, btw, that should last me up until 55?)

Appreciate the feedback here.

Cheers,

ScytheEleven
04.16.2013 , 11:39 AM | #9
The stat goals I am shooting for in my PT tank are 20% defense, 35-40% shield, and 30% absorb.

I do not know if those are reachable, but I'm going to try.

Mc_Gregor
04.16.2013 , 12:33 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Zhaaratustra View Post
Ah and here comes the true believer. I have main tanked 16er HC S+V up to Styrak and TfB to back up my claims.

A powertech tank relies on being hit which is supported by our skills and general damage reduction in comparision to sins aand jugger tanks. This haven't magically changed with 2.0, it's still the same.

In real world tanking it's exactly the other way around then this thread advices. An powertech tank have to raise shield and absorb first and only if you have reached a good % you can have a look at defense.

And by this considarations you mean such numbers {1600,{defense->960,shield->640,absorb->0}}? Of course 0 absorb makes totally sense right.
Thing is you cant really measure what proportion of incomming damage you are avoiding so your assumption which stats to stack is based on hunch. Whereas in that thread you have hard math to proove what amount of stats will benefit you the most in terms of mitigation. Of course our shield makes our talents tick but as long as you are not loosing aggro because of low dps, overhead or whatnot, then you can stack mitigation stats that dont intuitively fit into our tree. If I notice that my talents dont trigger as much as I want them to then I will switch back a bit. As for now, Im aiming for high defence and shield with low absorption altough not as low as that thread suggests to smooth out a bit incomming damage. But Im aware it wont net the best possible results.

And I also know how real life tanking works, Im still gearing my char after the patch so didnt do HM ops yet but I got warstalker on my tank pre-patch so I should catch up pretty soon.