Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sister Guilds

Heezdedjim
04.15.2013 , 07:32 AM | #1
What Is This About?

The suggestion is to let guilds that designate each other as "sister guilds" share a common chat channel. Nothing else would be shared, just chat.

How Would This Work?

(1) Give the guildmaster a field on the guild management window where he can enter a list of sister guilds. Basically a text field to enter a name, an add button, and a list of guilds designated. Put a reasonable cap on the number of sister guilds that can be designated if needed; somewhere between 3 and 8 would probably work.

(2) If Guild A and Guild B each designate the other as sister guilds, then the chat channels for the two guilds will be bridged. Everything posted in either channel will be visible to members of both guilds the same as their own guild chat. So if a member has guild chat enabled in a chat tab, he will see traffic on both channels in that tab. If he selects the Guild channel and types, his chat will be visible to anyone who sees guild chat from either guild.

No other guild features would be bridged, just the chat, to avoid any weirdness with banks. If one guild removes the designation, then the chat "bridge" would be broken.

The bridge would happen automatically as soon as the second designation is entered. In other words, there would not need to be any "invite" and "confirm" process, as there is with a guild inviting a member, so that a guildmaster who manages two guilds using two characters on one account would still be able to accomplish the bridge, without having to log two characters at the same time.

Why Do We Need This?

Until they decide to dramatically raise the guild membership cap, this would make it much easier to manage large guilds that run over the member cap but want to still maintain a single guild atmosphere when they decide to start a second guild for overflow recruiting.

You could try to use a global chat channel to do this now, but the access control and subscriptions are a train wreck to try and manage, and there is no UI for them other than the text chat commands. There also is no way to make sure that everyone from both guilds is in a global channel, or even to auto-invite everyone in the guild, or to make the channels only accessible to members of the designated guilds.

Also, as far as I know, global channels are faction segregated, so you can't have sister guilds that share chat in opposite factions. It would be a huge bonus if sister guild designations were faction neutral, so that if you run Republic and Sith sister guilds, they also could share common chat.

And . . . apparently F2P members can't join a global channel, so they are shut out of sister guild chat.

Jacen_Starsolo
04.15.2013 , 07:36 AM | #2
Why can't it be a "Brother Guild"? Something against the brothers?

Actually other games have this. It's called Alliances in some.

Heezdedjim
04.15.2013 , 07:39 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Jacen_Starsolo View Post
Actually other games have this. It's called Alliances in some.
True. Actual alliances with full features like alliance chat also would be nice.

Burtlebe
04.15.2013 , 07:42 AM | #4
We have several alt guilds and we just created a custom chat channel and most of the guildies talk in it rather than reg guild chat.

That said I would love to have an alliance system similar to Warhammer.
Burtimus'prime Vanguard Tank
Guild Leader Army of the Republic / The Army of Darkness / The Unmentionables
The Shadowlands Server

Heezdedjim
04.15.2013 , 08:11 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Burtlebe View Post
We have several alt guilds and we just created a custom chat channel and most of the guildies talk in it rather than reg guild chat.
One thing about this is that, as far as I know, global channels are faction segregated, so you can't have sister guilds that share chat in opposite factions. It would be a huge bonus if sister guild designations were faction neutral, so that if you run Republic and Sith sister guilds, they also could share common chat.

Heezdedjim
04.18.2013 , 08:54 AM | #6
Also, apparently F2P can't join custom channels. I am still trying to figure out if they can join at a certain level, or can't join at all. If they're locked out of the guild global channel, that is major fail for guilds that welcome F2P members.

Burtlebe
04.18.2013 , 09:54 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Heezdedjim View Post
One thing about this is that, as far as I know, global channels are faction segregated, so you can't have sister guilds that share chat in opposite factions. It would be a huge bonus if sister guild designations were faction neutral, so that if you run Republic and Sith sister guilds, they also could share common chat.
Ya I agree would be awesome
The Shadowlands Server

Burtlebe
04.18.2013 , 09:55 AM | #8
Also, apparently F2P can't join custom channels. I am still trying to figure out if they can join at a certain level, or can't join at all. If they're locked out of the guild global channel, that is major fail for guilds that welcome F2P members.
F2P can use the guild chat function but to be honest, not sure about custom channel, will have to check tonight.
The Shadowlands Server

AlaricSevGirl
04.18.2013 , 09:57 AM | #9
I like this idea, I have two guilds, an imp and a pub. I'd love to have a common channel that isn't faction segregated.
The Terran One Legacy; Ebon Hawk server; Lauren-Cordis, GL, Galactic Security Solutions (Republic) and Rhiordan, GL, The Imperial Black Court (Empire).