Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tanks, dont need an addon only a threat metter.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Tanks, dont need an addon only a threat metter.

Zierk
12.21.2011 , 11:35 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by SPHlNCTER View Post
They do not ever need to add a threat meter. It is a tool that makes the game easier for everyone. Good tanks can judge threat based on damage output of their raid, their cooldowns, their damage, and the healing done by the healers. Adding a threat meter will only make tanking braindead easy and incredibly boring. Any thought, skill, or interactivity will be removed.

"OMG BUT YOU STILL HAVE TO DO THINGS LIKE TURN THE MOB AWAY FROM THE RAID AND THEN PICK UP THE ADD"

Yes, but any sense of urgency is lost. Any sense of judgement will be removed and placed with "If my threat is below % then _ will happen oh no smash buttons".

I have tanked in vanilla WoW and progressed through a majority of the content originally. I would tank multiple mobs without the AoE skills that are now present in the game. I would also be able to judge my aggro. It is what made tanking fun; maximizing your damage, minimizing your downtime and damage taken while holding aggro to let your dps do more damage.

Furthermore, no threat meter means the rest of the raid has to be conscious of the fight. The damage dealers dont just lock onto their threat % and smash away at their keyboard. They would have to pay attention to the fight, their damage output, the tanks aggro, and the fight mechanics.

Adding a threat meter would reduce the quality of the endgame (and leveling) content. Group composition, raid IQ, and the ability to breathe and think at the same time are all things that make raids more fun.

Totally agree @ quote.

@OP: I LOL at WoW players. You have been so coddled by Blizzard you can't function right without them handing everything to you. I know skill is something you judge in WoW by Gearscore. If the mob you are tanking is facing you... or if you are taking damage from the mob you are tanking... OMG your tanking. Your QQing at lv20 that you need a threat meter? You won't really have all the tools you need to be a solid tank until lv30 anyways. Maybe you should try to get to 50 and then reassess your tanking problems if they still occur. I mean, it might just be you suck at tanking in another game(other then WoW) because you are a product of Blizzard and are use to having it so easy. Just sayin.
||▨╟╬∑|█ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒)
"I will not falter, my hate knows no bounds."

Swarna
12.21.2011 , 11:43 AM | #12
Seriously, guys? Not meaning to offend anyone but I've run every flashpoint up to Mandalorian Raiders repeatedly and in every single one I've been able to easily keep threat on will with my marauder which does not even have any tanking abilities. My friend has been able to do the same with his DPS assassin. We have not needed to use a tank up until now. That's two non-tanks who are able to easily manage threat...without a meter...and without using tank specializations. I'm sure players using tanks and actual threat-increasing abilities should have a much easier time without meters as well.

Apart from being completely unnecessary at this point, it's more fun to not riddle the game down with a bunch of graphs and numbers IMO.

Pawlaar
12.21.2011 , 11:48 AM | #13
I'ma just throw this out there...give the tank 5 seconds. Seriously. I know everyone has forgotten this gem of golden group rules because other mmo's have simplified tanking so much. Sure burst threat in the game could be buffed a tad and still keep tanking as fun as it is now. But in game threat meters aren't necessary.

SPHlNCTER
12.21.2011 , 11:58 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Pawlaar View Post
I'ma just throw this out there...give the tank 5 seconds. Seriously. I know everyone has forgotten this gem of golden group rules because other mmo's have simplified tanking so much. Sure burst threat in the game could be buffed a tad and still keep tanking as fun as it is now. But in game threat meters aren't necessary.

Sadly, this died long long ago. FFXI/EQ style grouping/tanking is gone. DPS doesnt hold back nor give the tank time to get aggro. Its pretty sad

Xilrasis
12.21.2011 , 12:09 PM | #15
Whats sad is that people still believe a stop and go style gameplay is still acceptable for a modern MMO. People want interaction with their game. They want more than target-corner-backstab of EQ or Blizzaga 3 for a chain then sit down for 20 seconds style of FFXI.

I agree that threat meters are more or less completely unnecessary, but suggesting that in any modern MMO tanks should require any significant sort of lead time on the majority of encounters is just silly at best. No one wants to stand around doing nothing while they wait for someone to build threat and say go or for some arbitrary period of time.

Maybe i'm just jaded from playing most recent MMOs with consistently talented players.

Pawlaar
12.21.2011 , 12:21 PM | #16
Are you a tank in this game?

I've been tanking all the flashpoints and world bosses as I level. I've tanked heroic endgame WoW and Rift. A 2 year old could tank in Rift with macros. Wow tanking is a joke. I'm not asking ppl to wait for 10% of the boss like say, vanilla Ony. I'm talking five seconds. Give me two GCDs and you won't pull threat. Stop and go playstyle my ***.

SPHlNCTER
12.21.2011 , 12:36 PM | #17

I've been tanking all the flashpoints and world bosses as I level. I've tanked heroic endgame WoW and Rift. A 2 year old could tank in Rift with macros. Wow tanking is a joke. I'm not asking ppl to wait for 10% of the boss like say, vanilla Ony. I'm talking five seconds. Give me two GCDs and you won't pull threat. Stop and go playstyle my ***.
Please marry me. We will adopt the most beautiful of underprivileged minority children.

Xilrasis
12.21.2011 , 12:37 PM | #18

Sounds like you just need a little better target or ability management, honestly. Every game I play, I tank in to some extent or another and I see people complaining about the same issues over and over and over again. Vanguard burst threat, WoW initial threat, FFXI threat decay, Rift AoE threat.... the list goes on.

Pool resources, pull faster. Don't dump an entire rage bar into an enemy at 30% health when you have 3 more around the corner you need resources to tank in 10 seconds.

When you have the resources to frontload your threat, it soon becomes laughably easy to manage. Most people try to tank in a way that is not very conducive to holding threat early and attempt to BEGIN an encounter by building resources instead of insuring they are available to them at the start. Everyone would always complain that they would lose threat on a warrior in the first 5 seconds of a pull, but when you enter it with 80 rage left from the last pull you could usually stop attacking at 60% health and still have a lead on threat through the remainder of the pull, even against better geared top tier DPS (this was well before the 5x threat change.)

Think critically, and be smart. (This applies mostly to the Juggernaut playstyle, obviously. My experience with others is limited). There are many ways you can alter your playstyle outside of what you may consider normal. This isn't solo game play where you start with 0 rage and force charge into a pack and burn every point of rage as you build it. You have to actually think ahead a little bit.

Pawlaar
12.21.2011 , 01:20 PM | #19
Thanks for the tips. I clearly had no idea how to do any of this. How preposterous of me to point out a way for people to help poor little inexperienced tanks like me. Now, with this sage-like wisdom, I can surely tackle any number of enemies thrown at me while my group unloads on them before my saber throw even lands.

You sir, are a godsend. Keep up the terrific work.

Xilrasis
12.21.2011 , 01:24 PM | #20
Thanks for the tips. I clearly had no idea how to do any of this. How preposterous of me to point out a way for people to help poor little inexperienced tanks like me. Now, with this sage-like wisdom, I can surely tackle any number of enemies thrown at me while my group unloads on them before my saber throw even lands.

You sir, are a godsend. Keep up the terrific work.
Sarcasm aside (even though the entire response is sarcasm) -- if they're attacking the next group before you then you're either moving too slowly or your groupmembers are braindead and retarded beyond all reason, both of which are issues far larger than a 5 second window at the beginning of a fight or the necessity (or lack thereof) of a threat meter.