Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tanks, dont need an addon only a threat metter.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Tanks, dont need an addon only a threat metter.

Fredder
12.20.2011 , 08:32 PM | #1
been playing an inq tank got him to lvl 20, its ok... not alot of AoE atm but i can work with it. the only think i really would like to see is a threat metter of some sort. anything will do, a simply % by the mobs pic or the colour of the ring around the pic. something simple. i hope thats not asking for to much?

Hreimdal
12.20.2011 , 10:30 PM | #2
I second this request.

TonOTin
12.20.2011 , 10:33 PM | #3
Nah, have it be in eq, if the mob is attacking you.......

Theodisius
12.21.2011 , 08:56 AM | #4
I agree we need more info on threat. IIRC, tank threat in SWTOR is just 1.5x their dps. In WoW, it is now 5x their dps, so keeping threat seems much more of an issue in SWTOR than in WoW.

Something to show the target of the mob you are targeting would help.

Threatplates, the WoW addon, is the best system I have seen for displaying threat: for those in tanking stances, make enlarge the nameplates of mobs you don't have aggro on (the opposite for those in dps or healing stances).

A threat meter like Omen would be extremely useful if bosses require tank switches.

Graburr
12.21.2011 , 09:27 AM | #5
none of the strong or elite mobs (only groups I've seen so far) has the ability to oneshot another player, so even if the tank looses aggro it's not the end of the world.

it also means they can be offtanked.

unless this changes majorly on 50, a threatmeter is not needed since the tank does not need total aggro of every mob the whole time.

Spor
12.21.2011 , 09:42 AM | #6
None of the tanks I heal seem to have a problem with multiple mobs, granted they never played WoW and are use to tanking in games without the crutch of knowing exactly how much threat something has. Where is the challenge in that.
Have you hugged a womp rat today?

cdestuntman
12.21.2011 , 09:51 AM | #7
/signed

Also, please add target of target ffs.
Scoundrel? Scoundrel? I like the sound of that.

SPHlNCTER
12.21.2011 , 10:26 AM | #8
They do not ever need to add a threat meter. It is a tool that makes the game easier for everyone. Good tanks can judge threat based on damage output of their raid, their cooldowns, their damage, and the healing done by the healers. Adding a threat meter will only make tanking braindead easy and incredibly boring. Any thought, skill, or interactivity will be removed.

"OMG BUT YOU STILL HAVE TO DO THINGS LIKE TURN THE MOB AWAY FROM THE RAID AND THEN PICK UP THE ADD"

Yes, but any sense of urgency is lost. Any sense of judgement will be removed and placed with "If my threat is below % then _ will happen oh no smash buttons".

I have tanked in vanilla WoW and progressed through a majority of the content originally. I would tank multiple mobs without the AoE skills that are now present in the game. I would also be able to judge my aggro. It is what made tanking fun; maximizing your damage, minimizing your downtime and damage taken while holding aggro to let your dps do more damage.

Furthermore, no threat meter means the rest of the raid has to be conscious of the fight. The damage dealers dont just lock onto their threat % and smash away at their keyboard. They would have to pay attention to the fight, their damage output, the tanks aggro, and the fight mechanics.

Adding a threat meter would reduce the quality of the endgame (and leveling) content. Group composition, raid IQ, and the ability to breathe and think at the same time are all things that make raids more fun.

Pawlaar
12.21.2011 , 11:24 AM | #9
Instead of a threat meter can we just get a target of target. I hope I'm just not retarded and can't find it in the options.

Zierk
12.21.2011 , 11:26 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Theodisius View Post
I agree we need more info on threat. IIRC, tank threat in SWTOR is just 1.5x their dps. In WoW, it is now 5x their dps, so keeping threat seems much more of an issue in SWTOR than in WoW.

Something to show the target of the mob you are targeting would help.

Threatplates, the WoW addon, is the best system I have seen for displaying threat: for those in tanking stances, make enlarge the nameplates of mobs you don't have aggro on (the opposite for those in dps or healing stances).

A threat meter like Omen would be extremely useful if bosses require tank switches.

Too bad that is WoW and this... isn't. Go play WoW if you want to use WoW addons.
||▨╟╬∑|█ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒)
"I will not falter, my hate knows no bounds."