Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Shoulder cannon is the worst of the new abilities by far

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Vanguard / Powertech
Shoulder cannon is the worst of the new abilities by far

NathanielStarr
04.13.2013 , 05:32 PM | #1
The shoulder cannon is pretty much useless. It takes too long to load, too long to fire, and doesn't do very much damage. It is worthless in PvE while the other abilities are not. Yeah you can use it while you are stunned, but who cares when it's so slow to fire, doesn't do any real significant damage and with the increase dps of every other class you die so fast while stunned to really benefit from it.

Thoughts?

bbare
04.13.2013 , 05:35 PM | #2
Its off the global cooldown. That is more than enough of for it to be useful as a dps. It is literally just extra damage. How is that bad?
The Vanity Legacy

NathanielStarr
04.13.2013 , 07:08 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by bbare View Post
Its off the global cooldown. That is more than enough of for it to be useful as a dps. It is literally just extra damage. How is that bad?
Read my post above. You really think it's good? It has no where near the utility of the other new powers that other classes got. We don't need another weak to mid attack, especially a slow one.

bbare
04.13.2013 , 07:12 PM | #4
Shoulder cannon is a fine ability. The reason why vanguards aren't good right now is because they nerfed your plasma cell dot to the ground. Shoulder cannon actually contributes more damage than your relics do. It is not a bad talent to have.
The Vanity Legacy

JimmyTheCannon
04.14.2013 , 01:44 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by NathanielStarr View Post
Read my post above. You really think it's good? It has no where near the utility of the other new powers that other classes got. We don't need another weak to mid attack, especially a slow one.
Middle tree gets extra damage (and missiles) on it, tanking tree gets extra damage, threat, and healing off it.

I'm curious - how is an instant off the GCD "slow"?

Fordel
04.14.2013 , 02:09 AM | #6
The OP could mean it's long cool down.

JimmyTheCannon
04.14.2013 , 02:42 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Fordel View Post
The OP could mean it's long cool down.
Don't most of the new abilities have long cooldowns? Electro Net is 90 seconds. I forget what the length on the others are like.

Fordel
04.14.2013 , 02:58 AM | #8
Something like that.

Like, I won't say Shoulder Cannon is BAD, it's objectively an improvement to Vanguards. It's free damage we wouldn't otherwise have.

I will say it's underwhelming though. Doesn't really change anything with how we play, or really increase the fun factor or whatever you want to call it. You press the button, wait a few seconds, then press it again for a little more damage and possibly healing depending on spec.

/shrug

NathanielStarr
04.14.2013 , 12:15 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by JimmyTheCannon View Post
Don't most of the new abilities have long cooldowns? Electro Net is 90 seconds. I forget what the length on the others are like.
yeah long cooldown long time to fully load.

It's certainly nothing special. It is not the tumble that agents got that changes their game play, it's not hugely different like plasma walk, it's not filling a hole in the class like dual saber throw...etc.

-ThEoNe-
04.14.2013 , 10:04 PM | #10
I think people are forgetting that you can fire it while stunned. I can't count the times since it launched but i have stopped caps while being stun locked in NC, CW, and Hypergates. It's utility that is hard to beat.
Zakkait - 50 Vanguard
Aurion - 50 Sentinel
Kratos - 50 Guardian
Shunsui - 50 Shadow