Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

25 Max Missions needs to be increased to 50

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
25 Max Missions needs to be increased to 50
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

XRogers
04.15.2013 , 12:56 PM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by dscount View Post
So let me get this right.. We just got this HUGE new Reputation and Achievements UI section, but can't increase an existing one? WOW.. just WOW..

How about making a NEW Section just for dailies or weekly's or long term or space missions to be mission log based?
The reputation system, is far less complex (Database-wise) than the mission system, comparing the two is not valid.

While i agree that the 25 mission limit is a pain the a**, I understand why it is there.

The problem is that for each additional mission that is tracked there are multiple database tables, each with multiple dependencies, the cost of retrieving and/or modifying that data is not free. Tracking even a single mission requires a very complex hierarchy of state/information. This has to be balanced against all of the other database operations that are required to make the game work. The cost of adding more missions to the tracking system quickly gets prohibitively expensive when you multiply that by the number of players.

It boils down to the fact that the database server has a finite number transactions it can process in a given period of time and it is absolutely imperative that the server does not fall behind in processing those transactions or the whole game would break.

xrogers

Silko
04.15.2013 , 01:18 PM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey everyone,

We have seen a few requests since the launch of Rise of the Hutt Cartel for the Mission Log size to be increased above 25 and I wanted to explain why that limit is currently in place. The Mission Log, just like all other components of the game, directly affects a player's performance in game. The goal in limiting the log to only 25 missions is to help mitigate potential area server hitches and ability lag they may encounter. Simply put, players could see decreased game performance with a Mission Log larger than 25.

Hopefully that helps explain a bit why the limit is what it is. There are currently no plans to change that limit but it is something we will continue to monitor.

Thanks!

-eric
Yeah I'm not buying it. In SWG I could shove as many quest as I like into my quest log even have them all showing on my quest tracker and still not lag the sightless and that game was made in the early 2000s. Keep in mind that we have the ability to track and untrack missions so the whole well you might start lagging from all the quest icons on the map is clearly out. Also many of the quest such as the Operation weeklies and HM FP dailies don't even have quest markers, so once again that is out. As you can see from the reactions of the community BW people don't like it when you limit them for the sake of limiting them. There is no reason to limit how many quest I can keep in a log. There is no reason to limit how many comms I can earn from me playing YOUR GAME. There is no reason to limit me grinding out rep because once again it is me wanting to play YOUR GAME. Just because you guys haven't been able to pump out as much content as people have been demanding in the past doesn't mean you slow people down to make it look like there is more to do.

/rant
"Those who ask for mercy, are too weak to deserve it"
Minions of Darkness Website

LarryRow
04.15.2013 , 01:19 PM | #53
Quote: Originally Posted by XRogers View Post
The reputation system, is far less complex (Database-wise) than the mission system, comparing the two is not valid.
What about the achievements system? Some of those are trivial to track (obtaining level 55) but some are like their own quests. Especially the ones where you have to defeat a certain number of mobs in a particular area, or defeating a certain number of mobs with a particular companion.

In other words, I have a hard time believing that this is one of those technological limitations that we have to just swallow. It seems far more likely that the mission tracker was sloppily coded.
A classic sig that should not be lost:
Quote:
Stunned , pew pew hack slash , stunned , running backward circles, stunned cannot move, pew pew, break stun, 30 second snare, wha?!?!!? stunned, knockdown, ...less stun more pew pew and hacknslash please.

Eillack
04.15.2013 , 01:22 PM | #54
Hey everyone,

We have seen a few requests since the launch of Rise of the Hutt Cartel for the Mission Log size to be increased above 25 and I wanted to explain why that limit is currently in place. The Mission Log, just like all other components of the game, directly affects a player's performance in game. The goal in limiting the log to only 25 missions is to help mitigate potential area server hitches and ability lag they may encounter. Simply put, players could see decreased game performance with a Mission Log larger than 25.

Hopefully that helps explain a bit why the limit is what it is. There are currently no plans to change that limit but it is something we will continue to monitor.

Thanks!

-eric
Ok, so you guys went cheap on tech and punish the players once again. Not surprised at all. And if you guys at EAware knew about this....then why the hell did you add dailies and weeklies left and right on Makeb alone? That there has to be at least 25 missions.

Oh and lastly...get a grasp on reality man. People have been asking for over 25 mission logs sinse beta. And claiming that only "a few" have requested it sinse RotHC is an insult and slap into the face of the community. Do your job and pay attention for once maybe. Or maybe someone who gives a damn should take control..
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

Callaron
04.15.2013 , 01:26 PM | #55
Hey everyone,

Thanks!

-eric
I imagine having to save tons of variables from conversations is part of what Eric is talking about. (options picked, social points, etc...)
Maybe at some point a compromise? Where "box/terminal" missions get their seperate section and you can have more of them?
Of course I could be completely off, my understanding of programming is very basic - in which case, nevermind!
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)
Want more Class stories? Let Bioware know!

Silko
04.15.2013 , 01:29 PM | #56
Quote: Originally Posted by Eillack View Post
People have been asking for over 25 mission logs sinse beta
This. I remember many threads asking to increase the missions logs and I started several my self back in Beta.
"Those who ask for mercy, are too weak to deserve it"
Minions of Darkness Website

Altheran
04.15.2013 , 01:33 PM | #57
Hey everyone,

Thanks!

-eric
Sorry I don't buy this excuse this time... Because recently, you changed the legacy window to open by default on personal unlocks tab which make the game lag each time you open it the first time after you loaded an area. If the computer is already strained after a long session of play, this tab can even make you crash.
This tab have always made me lag when my UI load the icons and checks which one I have bought or not.
Now that it is the default tab, it makes me avoid to check info on my legacy like reputation weekly limits.

The reason you made this tab be the default tab is because there are cartel coins purchases on it and you want people to buy them. You reduced quality of life and performance because of profit. So the excuse of performance at the price of quality of life doesn't stand well.

Eillack
04.15.2013 , 01:36 PM | #58
Quote: Originally Posted by Silko View Post
This. I remember many threads asking to increase the missions logs and I started several my self back in Beta.
God forbid the testers get listened to haha. Maybe I posted on one of your threads back then.
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

dscount
04.15.2013 , 01:40 PM | #59
Operations that have a weekly LOCKOUT shouldn't have a Mission Log entry. PERIOD!

Let's be honest. It's just not needed. Add the Comm's to the bosses evenly or put all them on the final boss. Problem SOLVED. (They appear to be heading that way anyways gradually)

Joesixxpack
04.15.2013 , 01:40 PM | #60
Hey everyone,

Thanks!

-eric
Thanks for explaining the rationale Eric. But making spreadsheets to keep track of game missions that won't fit on my list in game isn't something I plan to do. So unfortunately some new and old dailies, and other stuff will be forgotten. On the plus side though I won't be contributing to said game performance issues by being in those areas.
SifuStoli Sage | Joesixxpack VG | BBQ'Ribs GS | Hawt'Sauce Guard | Dark'nStormy Scrap
ilotSufiS Mara | BBQRibs Sin | BBQSammich PT | BBQSawce MM | Dark'n'Stormy Op Med
PROPHECY OF THE FIVE