Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Scoundrel Healing 101

Twixted
12.30.2011 , 08:32 AM | #11
I healed my first flash point last night, hammer station. Then we tried Athiss and got murdered.

I absolutely hated it. At my level (19) I only have 3 heals, underworld medicine, koto pack and diagnostic scan. The scan is useless as it heals for nothing and I dont have access to talents to give it a reliable crit rate. That leaves me UWM and KP.

I spent the entire flash points staring at health bars. At first I was doing some damage and throwing heals, but found that was a tight line as if i waited to heal to much i would drain myself dry of energy and if I used to much energy on damage, i would drain myself trying to catch up on healing.

I hope it gets better because my only experience in flashpoints has me wanting to drop the idea of healing until UI customization is allowed. ( mouseover macros, custom party frames, nameplates, etc etc) With the current UI i cant stand 1 1 2 1 2 1 2

At first i thought this game had a new and fun way of healing. Then i walked into a flashpoint.

borghe
12.30.2011 , 02:11 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Twixted View Post
I healed my first flash point last night, hammer station. Then we tried Athiss and got murdered.

I absolutely hated it. At my level (19) I only have 3 heals, underworld medicine, koto pack and diagnostic scan. The scan is useless as it heals for nothing and I dont have access to talents to give it a reliable crit rate. That leaves me UWM and KP.

I spent the entire flash points staring at health bars. At first I was doing some damage and throwing heals, but found that was a tight line as if i waited to heal to much i would drain myself dry of energy and if I used to much energy on damage, i would drain myself trying to catch up on healing.

I hope it gets better because my only experience in flashpoints has me wanting to drop the idea of healing until UI customization is allowed. ( mouseover macros, custom party frames, nameplates, etc etc) With the current UI i cant stand 1 1 2 1 2 1 2

At first i thought this game had a new and fun way of healing. Then i walked into a flashpoint.
nothing you say you want in UI customization fixes what you are complaining about in the flashpoint. You are a healer. You are not a damage dealer. You spend your time staring at health bars and healing because you are a healer. If you don't want to be a healer, I HIGHLY suggest you respec out of sawbones.

even with all of these miracle UI improvements, you are STILL going to run out of energy if you try to both be an meaningful DPSer and a decent healer. that's why you HAVE a resource pool to being with......

edit - and yes diagnostic scan is kind of useless until you can talent it... however a) it's free, b) it's tool tip is wrong, and c) it's more of a resource management tool. it basically heals for the tooltip PER TICK. so I think mine is like heals 80hp or something per tick which ends up being like 480hp over 3 seconds or something. don't recall exactly, and it is wimpy. but then during that point I recover like 1/3 of my energy as a result which (if you don't suck) should hopefully be able to get you to full regen or just one regen step down.

however I agree that diagnostic scan isn't the most sensible non-talented skill we have. they should probably just remove it as a trained ability and make it a talent.

Wynn
01.03.2012 , 12:11 AM | #13
With closed beta I'm been healing as a IA/Smuggler for months and my biggest fear is hard modes with the enrage timers. I pray we don't have to dps because how are regen is I can't see us helping the dps like a force user healer can.

But loving healing so much as an IA since been healing with "mana" bars since EQ. This game would be perfect if I could have some of my healing mods from WoW, or a better stock UI.
Crazy old dyslexic Healer that loves cakecheese
Operative: Wynn, Mercenary: Fenrich, Sorcerer: Nall
Also old Droid Engineer from Starsider

bshenkd
01.05.2012 , 11:50 PM | #14
Currently streaming Sawbones PVP on my Twitch.TV channel.

http://twitch.tv/aioriBFZ

I'll also be streaming most of tomorrow.
Aiori on Prophecy of the Five - <Hostile Takeover>
Sawbones Scoundrel Healer
Read my guide on Sawbones healing
here!

Zakusama
01.09.2012 , 03:41 AM | #15
Well after playin Sawbones for a while at lvl 50 and had a lot of nice wipes on hardmodes and ops :PP i can tell that healing as smuggler is not that easy and specially with the super badly designed ui the game offers, tracking buffs and debuffs is pain in the b...t

Maybe the healing as smug dosnt have that much tool as other healers, you dont rly have an OH **** abilitiy to save the day.. but the playstyle is somewhat cool, entertaining and kind of unique..
Sawbones is by far the most mobile of healers, it is soo good for some fights that rly depend on it (hello Taral V Bonus Boss :O Lord whatever....)

To comment some abilities, DScan is good it rly can save you from gettin oom and its not that weak after you stack some crit and surge (I personally have it at ~70% crit chance hitting if crits ofc for a nice 380 per tick and with out HoT on target it heals a lot

Kolto pack is not as important I rarly needed to use it as it heals for less than UM at last till I got 4 pieces of healing pve gear to get a 15% crit bonus as this puts our kolto pack on ~70% crit chance then it becomes our main asssaver and UM+KP+EMP will top you tank and if you have hots running (u always should have ;P) just finish it with DScan to regain some on energy blasted in this combo (seriously 1k healing + some regen is not bad)
The problem of smuggler is when things go out of control.. someone stood in the fire or got hit with an arrow to the knee.. and you may lose it.. and then cool head is on cd and.. you sit with low energy tank ll die... wipe...

About AoE healing, well its cool after u get to know fights you should stack 1 HoT on each member a bit before the aoe moment and make them stack a bit for kolto cloud and run 2nd wave of HoTs to get it stacked at 2 this ll make them heal for a lot and u can DS your tank and throw him some heals while rest of party is getting heals by HoTs cuz if the just die while 1k and 800 crit ticks are healing them they do something wrong :O

SO to be a happy sawbone docor get a nice party that knows what it means to mitigate avoidable dmg and interrupt nasty boss abilities that smash 80% of tanks hp in 1 blow (thats offf the chart but whatever)

Btw crit is GOD :P for healing as smug alarcity is overrated and makes u overabuse our resource

GoodLuck with with your healing and sorry for misspelsy typos and stuff, cheers

NRieh
01.11.2012 , 12:57 AM | #16
Thanks a lot for this guide!

I'm still far from 50 (hit 14 yesterday), and what I'd love to know - is it possible to start healing groups before the cap or (at least) before reaching most of the healing talents in a tree? I'm ok with both few spells to cast and with "staring at the healthbars" also (on which someone complained here) - I'm an ex-RestoDru since mid-TBC. And from what I've read about scoundrel healing - it should fit me perfectly well. I just feel abit unsure if It's time to start or not. What do you think? Can I already manage group content of my level as a healer?

RiskyBiz
01.13.2012 , 12:16 AM | #17
@OP: You're level 19, obviously you don't have a big tool box at your disposal. Things get a LOT easier when you get your HoT.
"Seaworth"
(Sawbones Healer)

The Westeros Legacy
[Malicious]

RiskyBiz
01.13.2012 , 12:20 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by NRieh View Post
Thanks a lot for this guide!

I'm still far from 50 (hit 14 yesterday), and what I'd love to know - is it possible to start healing groups before the cap or (at least) before reaching most of the healing talents in a tree? I'm ok with both few spells to cast and with "staring at the healthbars" also (on which someone complained here) - I'm an ex-RestoDru since mid-TBC. And from what I've read about scoundrel healing - it should fit me perfectly well. I just feel abit unsure if It's time to start or not. What do you think? Can I already manage group content of my level as a healer?
Absolutely, I started at 10 (30 now). Thing is, if you wait too long you'll have too many abilities to juggle and won't know where to start.
"Seaworth"
(Sawbones Healer)

The Westeros Legacy
[Malicious]

bshenkd
01.13.2012 , 09:16 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by RiskyBiz View Post
Absolutely, I started at 10 (30 now). Thing is, if you wait too long you'll have too many abilities to juggle and won't know where to start.
I agree completely. Start running flashpoints as soon as you can. One of the main benefits of the leveling process is to learn your rotation: what works well, what you shouldn't use, what to use at what times, etc. I did warzones and flashpoints all the way through my leveling process and I'd like to think that I've got a pretty good handle on Sawbones healing for PVP and PVE.
Aiori on Prophecy of the Five - <Hostile Takeover>
Sawbones Scoundrel Healer
Read my guide on Sawbones healing
here!

Delmyr
01.19.2012 , 11:56 AM | #20
Why wouldn't you use cool head before you drain yourself completely? I would think having the higher regen for longer would be a good thing
I see the problem here. Hm, yes. You are suffering from No Challenge Withdrawal. I'm sorry but there is no cure other than getting a full team premade to form a wedge to annihilate those fleeing from the inevitable faceroll.