Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Makeb's Storyline

TominatorBriss
04.13.2013 , 05:36 AM | #21
in my point of view we should ALL count ourselves lucky to have such a great starwars online game
for me all the stories are good and I think makeb is the beginning of a much bigger plot for the next expansion
especially for us empire players considering we are losing the war and makeb is what we need to help strike back at the republic.

a lot of hard work goes into this game and because its not what some of you thought it was or things don't go your way you have a little moan (well if you don't like it, don't play)

Darth-Obvious
04.13.2013 , 06:06 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Akmadan View Post
Then that's an illusion they created to make you feel you're playing a class storyline, It's false because you simply will NOT play one empire character and one republic char they cant expect us to do that. We will want to play all chars to see all the stories, I've done 4 class storylines out of 8. And I want to see them all eventually.

What Darth Wicked (Good name bro) said, the class stories SHOULD be the center of this all, it's the pillar that this game was built upon, a pillar held by an amazing storyline that ended at lvl 50 for us... and we expect to still continue.

Very soon I expect to start Makeb, and find repetative dailies that I have to grind in order to get reputation. Because I just noticed, you need reputation with Makeb to get high end-ish gear? That's ********, this isnt wow (not totally anyway), don't go down that Daily routine Bioware, comeone...

I've played WoW for all my life now, since the start. Blizzard kept putting dailies into everything, EVERYTHING. I don't want to see this amazing story-driven game get taken into that same damned path. Being F2P Is not an excuse I feel.

EDIT: Not to say dailies are bad, but the way they've been done by wow and bioware so farr is repetative. Perhaps the way the Thunder King Patch is being done now is kinda okay-ish, with the stages and such. Just like the Quel'-something island back in The Burning Crusade in wow had stages, and okay-ish dailies that didnt take you HOURS to complete all of them. Dailies that take me like an half hour to finish... those are okay!

You based this game on an epic story line for the character you created... stay true to what you made this game at the core and at the beginning, and people will keep coming to play your game.
How? How can the achieve what you're talking about or asking for after it going F2P?

People/players seem to believe that TOR should be held to the same standard that WoW is, ie if WoW can do it or does it than TOR can do it. The thing is though that WoW pulls in over a billion dollars a year in revenue and can easily afford to do the things they do.

It would be amazing if TOR had been a/the game that could've actually competed with WoW, or had millions of subs, turned out the way EA/Bioware planned, etc, but it didn't and because of that story focused development is no longer an option for them. They don't have an unlimited budget. They nearly had one when the game was in development but once it went free to play, the budget they had to produce new content shrank drastically.

Look at other MMOs that started out as a paid and went F2P like Champions, Star Trek, D&D, LOTRO, etc, and look at the type of content they began to produce after going F2P because regardless of who's developing those games they basically each put out content in the same fashion and scale.

The other thing to keep in mind is what percentage of TOR's current player base is playing for what reason. For instance let's say TOR's current player base is made up 60% of people who are primarily PVPing. If that's the case then they (Bioware) are going focus more attention on that aspect of the game than anything else to try and keep those numbers, plus it's obviously quicker and cheaper to do new PVP content than story content.

At this point, major story updates are going to come few and far between. I honestly wish there was more. The story elements are what I love most about TOR and are what kept me invested in playing an MMO. The story was the thing that actually kept me going forward. I could never get into MMOs like WoW are anything else really because leveling up, or getting better gear, or those typical MMO elements were never important to me.

So yeah, I want more story stuff from TOR, but at the same time I'm aware of the state that the game is in now, and know that (for the time being) the type of content they're going to be able to produce/deliver is on a fixed scale.

Note that it's entirely possible that we'll never get anything else for this game on the level of Makeb. It started development back when they had more money/resources, and weren't a F2P game, so I wouldn't be surprised if didn't see anything like it again. I hope that's not the case but I can see it being that way.

Akmadan
04.13.2013 , 06:07 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by TominatorBriss View Post
in my point of view we should ALL count ourselves lucky to have such a great starwars online game
for me all the stories are good and I think makeb is the beginning of a much bigger plot for the next expansion
especially for us empire players considering we are losing the war and makeb is what we need to help strike back at the republic.

a lot of hard work goes into this game and because its not what some of you thought it was or things don't go your way you have a little moan (well if you don't like it, don't play)
And if they don't divert their work to the actual goal they set out to make when they started this game, people will not play it. If you're F2P you wont care, I'm a subscriber and I want a story-driven game with my character in the middle of it... where my story continues.

if the next expansion doesn't bring a storyline for my class Bioware should beware... I'm sure Makeb will be fun and stuff, but not as much as I had fighting my way through tombs in Korriban and eventually rising up in the Sith Hierarchy to <Somewhere>

Darth_Wicked
04.13.2013 , 06:18 AM | #24
And if they don't divert their work to the actual goal they set out to make when they started this game, people will not play it. If you're F2P you wont care, I'm a subscriber and I want a story-driven game with my character in the middle of it... where my story continues.

if the next expansion doesn't bring a storyline for my class Bioware should beware... I'm sure Makeb will be fun and stuff, but not as much as I had fighting my way through tombs in Korriban and eventually rising up in the Sith Hierarchy to <Somewhere>
I'm in the same boat really... Been a subscriber since early access, back in mid December 2011 and my main focus has ALWAYS been the storylines, so much that I'll, at this rate, 14(!!!) level 50's by the end of this month, since I won't be repeating Makeb anytime soon most likely.

I can imagine myself equipping them all with campaign or the gear above that one but after that, I doubt I'll continue caring about the game as much as I've been, especially if stuff such as Makeb is the sign of things to come.

I mean, even the ending for the imperial storyline is a huge bomb, especially for one of the classes IMO... The other ones, possibly a bit but for my smuggler(s) and bounty hunter(s), I'm pretty sure they couldn't care less about it.

SithKoriandr
04.13.2013 , 07:17 AM | #25
Then that's an illusion they created to make you feel you're playing a class storyline, It's false because you simply will NOT play one empire character and one republic char they cant expect us to do that. We will want to play all chars to see all the stories, I've done 4 class storylines out of 8. And I want to see them all eventually.
You may not simply play one empire and one republic, but if the class stories are indeed done, you only have to get 1 of each fraction past 50, if the content remains like Makeb, because the only difference Makeb will be for the classes is some flavor text.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

SithKoriandr
04.13.2013 , 07:20 AM | #26

Saddly, I'd wager those of us who want/care about the class stories are in the minority. For most, I'd bet it's skipped or nothing more than a little interresting but irrelevant part of their game play.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Skorz
04.13.2013 , 09:52 AM | #27
I understand that we won't be seeing more personal class stories anymore but I'd be happy if they added more companion content like missions etc. or they could've made it so that your companions would also be taking part in the main Makeb storyline by adding dialogue for them. Yeah they say few things outside cutscenes but this isn't what I meant.

Akmadan
04.13.2013 , 11:54 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Saddly, I'd wager those of us who want/care about the class stories are in the minority. For most, I'd bet it's skipped or nothing more than a little interresting but irrelevant part of their game play.
But that's unimaginable, the story was the main goal of the game and they want to put it into the "Irrelevant part of our game" folder?

Madness I tell you.

I don't care how fancy Makeb or other planets were, for me there are 3 kinds of quests

Class Quest
Planet Quest
Side Quests

Take out one of the three and the game falls apart. I coulden't even imagen the Planet Quests being gone, because I want to see whats happening on the Planet as well as continue my storyline.

chuixupu
04.13.2013 , 12:21 PM | #29

Very soon I expect to start Makeb, and find repetative dailies that I have to grind in order to get reputation. Because I just noticed, you need reputation with Makeb to get high end-ish gear? That's ********, this isnt wow (not totally anyway), don't go down that Daily routine Bioware, comeone...
Actually, the only thing I can find that you actually need reputation for is the lower-end weapons you get from Basic Coms. The armor doesn't require it, and neither do anything from Elite or Ultimate coms, which is the gear you want (Basic stuff is barely above level 50 stuff). Also, it's fairly small amount of rep that is legacy wide. That's a far cry from what WoW had done (and now removed) where they expected you to to get exalted with MULTIPLE daily factions, PER CHARACTER, to spend your hard earned badges to get some of the better gear available.

Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
I very, seriously, doubt we are in the minority. That does not reflect what I have witnessed in game, talking with people, on all the online communities, etc..
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

SithKoriandr
04.13.2013 , 05:04 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
Actually, the only thing I can find that you actually need reputation for is the lower-end weapons you get from Basic Coms. The armor doesn't require it, and neither do anything from Elite or Ultimate coms, which is the gear you want (Basic stuff is barely above level 50 stuff). Also, it's fairly small amount of rep that is legacy wide. That's a far cry from what WoW had done (and now removed) where they expected you to to get exalted with MULTIPLE daily factions, PER CHARACTER, to spend your hard earned badges to get some of the better gear available.

I very, seriously, doubt we are in the minority. That does not reflect what I have witnessed in game, talking with people, on all the online communities, etc..
It's what I've witnessed with people saying they just space bar through it, it's the game they want to play, they don't care about the story.

I don't get it personally, but Ive seen many who say just that, even with TOR.