Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Makeb's Storyline


DxRichy's Avatar


DxRichy
04.12.2013 , 07:33 PM | #11
As much as I would like more class related quests, the the unfortunate truth is that Bioware does not have the resources to pull it off. Besides ROTHC is a digital expansion, which is more like dlc then a industry standard 39.95 expansion pack that you buy at gamestop, so expecting class stories was a fool's dream. In addition to there is not much you can do with class story's as the characters have reached the pinnacle of their respective archetypes.
Spoiler

So where do you go for from there anyway? Trying to cram in 8 storyline into 1 planet is kinda unnecessary and time wasting.In Makeb your character's still retain their personalities in the missions(Example: The smuggler is still a smart *** and retains the humor of the class, while the trooper is more down to business,pro-republic and all that good stuff) so the replay value is there just to see how each character responds to the same situation. It's not just all copy and paste dialog and have each actor read it, which i appreciate from bioware.

I wouldn't mind once in a blue moon they do feature a couple of epilogue missions or something with the companions which they have hinted at, but as far an a Chapter 4, yeah probably not going to see it.

Darth-Obvious's Avatar


Darth-Obvious
04.12.2013 , 07:40 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Wicked View Post
Did you even care to read what I wrote above? If you didn't, I'd recommend you do so. Again, having in mind how the game was touted, class storylines should still be a priority.

I doubt most people who care for a story driven experience, combined with the kind of offer Bioware used to provide a few years back, are actually interested in repeating the same world arc, over and over again. World arcs should not become the focus of it all, for the reasons, as I've said already, I explained above.
None of that matters. That's what you're not getting.

It is not possible for them to continue the character quests to the degree you're asking for. They can no longer produce content of that magnitude as a F2P game. What part of that are you not getting. NOTHING absolutely nothing you say, do, or think will change that. I repeat, nothing. How do you not understand something so simple?

World arcs are something that are actually doable, Class Quests are not. I would love it if the class quests could continue on the same level they did in the vanilla game, but that's not going to happen. TOR wasn't the success that they planned on it being. I really wish it had been, but it's not so get used to it or leave.

Once again, all that BS you spouted about what BIoware should do or what was supposed to happen does not matter. It's something that can't happen with this game, so why don't you actually post something helpful or suggest something that is actually doable for this game? Oh that's right because it's easier and lazier to have a sky is the limit view/approach to everything rather than having to reign it in and be creative huh?

Darth-Obvious's Avatar


Darth-Obvious
04.12.2013 , 07:54 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by DxRichy View Post
As much as I would like more class related quests, the the unfortunate truth is that Bioware does not have the resources to pull it off. Besides ROTHC is a digital expansion, which is more like dlc then a industry standard 39.95 expansion pack that you buy at gamestop, so expecting class stories was a fool's dream. In addition to there is not much you can do with class story's as the characters have reached the pinnacle of their respective archetypes.
Spoiler

So where do you go for from there anyway? Trying to cram in 8 storyline into 1 planet is kinda unnecessary and time wasting.In Makeb your character's still retain their personalities in the missions(Example: The smuggler is still a smart *** and retains the humor of the class, while the trooper is more down to business,pro-republic and all that good stuff) so the replay value is there just to see how each character responds to the same situation. It's not just all copy and paste dialog and have each actor read it, which i appreciate from bioware.

I wouldn't mind once in a blue moon they do feature a couple of epilogue missions or something with the companions which they have hinted at, but as far an a Chapter 4, yeah probably not going to see it.
Personally I believe the next expansion should use elements, plot points, characters, locations, etc, from the class quests but combine them into a single narrative or two. One for each faction.

There are a number of characters and plot points that happen across the 8 classes that you can't alter. For instance you can't kill Master Satele or even fight her for that matter. She is a character you can get alot of use out in an expansion because she isn't heavily tied to any decisions/missions/stories. There are a number of characters like her that you can pull in from the class stories and even planet arcs who you never fight nor are involved with any major decision.

Basically something you can get alot out of (in terms of story) if you've already played the game through multiple times, but at the same time it would have to be some sort of new storyline the way Makeb is or else alot of people would be lost.

Retaining the classes personalities and individualism is obviously important going forward or in terms of story content and Makeb seems to be a really good first step in a new direction, or rather a direction that's actually doable for the Bioware Austin team at this point.

chuixupu's Avatar


chuixupu
04.12.2013 , 08:15 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth-Obvious View Post
None of that matters. That's what you're not getting.

It is not possible for them to continue the character quests to the degree you're asking for. They can no longer produce content of that magnitude as a F2P game. What part of that are you not getting. NOTHING absolutely nothing you say, do, or think will change that. I repeat, nothing. How do you not understand something so simple?

World arcs are something that are actually doable, Class Quests are not. I would love it if the class quests could continue on the same level they did in the vanilla game, but that's not going to happen. TOR wasn't the success that they planned on it being. I really wish it had been, but it's not so get used to it or leave.

Once again, all that BS you spouted about what BIoware should do or what was supposed to happen does not matter. It's something that can't happen with this game, so why don't you actually post something helpful or suggest something that is actually doable for this game? Oh that's right because it's easier and lazier to have a sky is the limit view/approach to everything rather than having to reign it in and be creative huh?
I'm pretty sure you don't really know this for a fact. There's not doable, and there's not very likely. I understand their position in moving to making faction quest chains rather than class quests, but I don't believe they are forever completely incapable of doing it with their current staff and I haven't really seen any real evidence to suggest that.

It would be incredibly time consuming and expensive to produce another whole 3 chapters of 8 stories, but not as far fetched to produce a smaller scale class specific tie in to go along with the faction quests.

Like, what you said, actually.

Quote:
Personally I believe the next expansion should use elements, plot points, characters, locations, etc, from the class quests but combine them into a single narrative or two. One for each faction.
It can be something as small as the scale as the macrobinocular type stuff. Interweave some little pieces here and there.

But not necessarily combine them, you could, for instance, go to a class specific instance and have someone from your class story be the person who gives you a specific part of the quest, so that it has a more personal spin to it.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Zaxem's Avatar


Zaxem
04.12.2013 , 08:19 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Akmadan View Post
Good Day,

I've a few days until I go into Makeb and see the story for myself, but my friend have been saying it's only the Planet-Story available. No continucation of your Class-Storyline which is a great disapointment for me, considering Bioware promised us our story would continue with expansions coming.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the planet will look amazing and so will the story. But out of all things in The Old Republic, I enjoyed my Class Story (Starting with the Sith Inquisitor),

What do you think, should've there been a Class Story in Makeb?

PS: I was told the NPCs in Makeb recognize you for what you are (no spoilers) which is good, but still not good enough I feel!
As Much as i wanted them to have new class storys after playing Makeb kinda glad it's only planet story at least on imp side it felt like a actual warzone for once and you are actually part of the war helping the empire out which i loved i think more planets needs to be like Makeb it was just awesome
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.-Through passion, I gain strength.Through strength, I gain power.Through power, I gain victory.Through victory, my chains are broken.The Force shall free me 55 Juggernaut55 Assassin 50 Sniper 55 Mercenary50 Guardian55 Marauder

Darth_Wicked's Avatar


Darth_Wicked
04.12.2013 , 08:53 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth-Obvious View Post
None of that matters. That's what you're not getting.

It is not possible for them to continue the character quests to the degree you're asking for. They can no longer produce content of that magnitude as a F2P game. What part of that are you not getting. NOTHING absolutely nothing you say, do, or think will change that. I repeat, nothing. How do you not understand something so simple?
There's a considerable difference between NOT being able to and choosing NOT to do so, last time I checked. A lot of people used to say, that one of the major issues with having so many class storylines was the budget for the voice acting but apparently - and recently - such idea was shot down by one of the higher ups.

Also, it's not a question of not understand but rather a question of you, for whatever reason or agenda you might have, not being able to read what has been said before, both by me and when this game was first touted. Learn to read what others write before babbling, please.

Quote:
World arcs are something that are actually doable, Class Quests are not.
That's your perception, not FACT. Deal with it.

Quote:
I would love it if the class quests could continue on the same level they did in the vanilla game, but that's not going to happen. TOR wasn't the success that they planned on it being. I really wish it had been, but it's not so get used to it or leave.
Last time I checked, people are free to express their opinion. Thus, why the OP created this topic. Just chill.

Quote:
Once again, all that BS you spouted about what BIoware should do or what was supposed to happen does not matter.
And what you wrote actually does? Mighty proud of yourself, aren't you?

Quote:
It's something that can't happen with this game, so why don't you actually post something helpful or suggest something that is actually doable for this game? Oh that's right because it's easier and lazier to have a sky is the limit view/approach to everything rather than having to reign it in and be creative huh?
I have no further reason to actually discuss anything with you, since as everyone can see in this thread, you are both deluded and incredibly rude, unable to have a reasonable and civilized discussion with anyone who feels different concerning the current heading of the game.

stormdrakelord's Avatar


stormdrakelord
04.12.2013 , 09:44 PM | #17
I've always assumed the class stories were to explain the character's role in the start of the war, so stopping class stories means nothing as the class stories would not fully explain the war.
Han Solo: Great, kid. Don't get cocky.

Darth-Obvious's Avatar


Darth-Obvious
04.12.2013 , 10:52 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Wicked View Post
There's a considerable difference between NOT being able to and choosing NOT to do so, last time I checked. A lot of people used to say, that one of the major issues with having so many class storylines was the budget for the voice acting but apparently - and recently - such idea was shot down by one of the higher ups.
Yes and James Ohlen followed up that statement by saying that the most expensive element of TOR was player choice, ie having to create multiple outcomes for multiple decisions that could've started in Chapter 1 and had an impact all the way into Chapter 3. Based on what Ohlen said the Imperial Agent's class quest, which is often regarded as the best of the 8, would've been really expensive to produce.

If you were fine with class quests that were more linear and had less choice, then it's much easier to get those in the game.

Quote:
Also, it's not a question of not understand but rather a question of you, for whatever reason or agenda you might have, not being able to read what has been said before, both by me and when this game was first touted. Learn to read what others write before babbling, please.
I did read what you said, and the problem is that you seem to be under the impression that Bioware has to do everything they said they would in regards to the game. Yes, they "touted" that story was a major factor in TOR, and that the class quests would continue, and that the game was going to have all these things that it didn't end up having and probably never will have.

You seem to think that Bioware "has" to be held liable, or that they have to do X thing they said they'd do back when the game first launched, but what you constantly fail to grasp is that once the game went F2P and the Cartel Market was introduced alot of those things went out the window. Their goals for TOR shifted once it lost subs and became F2P. They're not going to hold true to everything they said just because they "touted" it at some point early on. They don't have to hold true to their word on anything. We can't make them, that's beyond our control.

Darth-Obvious's Avatar


Darth-Obvious
04.12.2013 , 11:04 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by stormdrakelord View Post
I've always assumed the class stories were to explain the character's role in the start of the war, so stopping class stories means nothing as the class stories would not fully explain the war.
Well yes and no. You're right in that the class stories get the characters to a point where it makes sense for the story to become more about the war than the character(s) however they did say that the classes would have Chapters 4, 5, 6, etc.

Of course some of the class stories do seem like they end, like the Sith Inquisitors for instance. I mean by the end of that storyline it never makes sense for you to be going out into the field and/or taking orders from anyone. Given where that character ends up, you'd be the one giving orders. This is where the game part of TOR supersedes the story, which is typical in video game development, ie the game isn't made or adjusted to fit the story, it's always the story that ends up having to take a back seat, even if it is a primary focus.

But yeah given where alot of the classes end up it almost makes more sense to start a new character than it does to continue on with the existing character. For instance in the Sith Inquisitor's Chapter 4 I can see where it would make more sense to continue playing on as that character's apprentice than it would the Inquisitor.

Akmadan's Avatar


Akmadan
04.13.2013 , 02:29 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth-Obvious View Post
When they said "continue your storyline" they were talking about you the player and the storyline you create with your character. Makeb feels/plays like a class quest. It's on that same level of quality if not better. Infact if you played through Makeb with only 1 Empire character and/or 1 Republic character it would seem like an extension of your class quest.

It had already been mentioned quite awhile ago that they weren't continuing the class quests. After the game went F2P the idea of them continuing the class quests basically went out the window since they were basically the most expensive content to produce.

Think of it like this. Let's say they had 10 million dollars to produce 8 hours of content. Would you rather they a planet with 8 hours worth of content, or 8 different class quests with only 1 hour of content each? That's how it would work out. When it comes to game development you can't have both. You always have to sacrifice something in favor of something else. Doing both of those things, ie new class quests and planet quests along with a new planet is no longer and option for them at this point. They don't have the resources anymore to create the equivalent of the vanilla game.
Then that's an illusion they created to make you feel you're playing a class storyline, It's false because you simply will NOT play one empire character and one republic char they cant expect us to do that. We will want to play all chars to see all the stories, I've done 4 class storylines out of 8. And I want to see them all eventually.

What Darth Wicked (Good name bro) said, the class stories SHOULD be the center of this all, it's the pillar that this game was built upon, a pillar held by an amazing storyline that ended at lvl 50 for us... and we expect to still continue.

Very soon I expect to start Makeb, and find repetative dailies that I have to grind in order to get reputation. Because I just noticed, you need reputation with Makeb to get high end-ish gear? That's ********, this isnt wow (not totally anyway), don't go down that Daily routine Bioware, comeone...

I've played WoW for all my life now, since the start. Blizzard kept putting dailies into everything, EVERYTHING. I don't want to see this amazing story-driven game get taken into that same damned path. Being F2P Is not an excuse I feel.

EDIT: Not to say dailies are bad, but the way they've been done by wow and bioware so farr is repetative. Perhaps the way the Thunder King Patch is being done now is kinda okay-ish, with the stages and such. Just like the Quel'-something island back in The Burning Crusade in wow had stages, and okay-ish dailies that didnt take you HOURS to complete all of them. Dailies that take me like an half hour to finish... those are okay!

You based this game on an epic story line for the character you created... stay true to what you made this game at the core and at the beginning, and people will keep coming to play your game.