Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Makeb's Storyline

Akmadan
04.12.2013 , 09:48 AM | #1
Good Day,

I've a few days until I go into Makeb and see the story for myself, but my friend have been saying it's only the Planet-Story available. No continucation of your Class-Storyline which is a great disapointment for me, considering Bioware promised us our story would continue with expansions coming.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the planet will look amazing and so will the story. But out of all things in The Old Republic, I enjoyed my Class Story (Starting with the Sith Inquisitor),

What do you think, should've there been a Class Story in Makeb?

PS: I was told the NPCs in Makeb recognize you for what you are (no spoilers) which is good, but still not good enough I feel!

SithKoriandr
04.12.2013 , 10:38 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Akmadan View Post
Good Day,

I've a few days until I go into Makeb and see the story for myself, but my friend have been saying it's only the Planet-Story available. No continucation of your Class-Storyline which is a great disapointment for me, considering Bioware promised us our story would continue with expansions coming.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the planet will look amazing and so will the story. But out of all things in The Old Republic, I enjoyed my Class Story (Starting with the Sith Inquisitor),

PS: I was told the NPCs in Makeb recognize you for what you are (no spoilers) which is good, but still not good enough I feel!
The Smuggler's main enemy was mentioned quite a few times.

It is another planet storyline, but it's a good one (republic side anyways). I think a lot of people wish they continued the class storylines, but I get the feeling it's not the majority.

Unlike other planets, there seems to be a lack of side quests, but a lot of dailies.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Akmadan
04.12.2013 , 10:53 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
The Smuggler's main enemy was mentioned quite a few times.

It is another planet storyline, but it's a good one (republic side anyways). I think a lot of people wish they continued the class storylines, but I get the feeling it's not the majority.

Unlike other planets, there seems to be a lack of side quests, but a lot of dailies.
What else do we want then the story of our characters? This is a story-basen game, and I like the planet-stories too. But the main thing that drove me further was my class' storyline, if it was just the quests, and the planet stuff... I'd be bored to hell personally.

I for one want the class storylines, in a game where your character you make is the center of your gameplay I feel it's important to continue that story, even if its the simplest thing ever. Like helping to conquer the planet as your sith warrior or inquisitor, get a few jobs of high value targets as a Bounty Hunter. Aslong as it ties into your classes story.

SithKoriandr
04.12.2013 , 11:20 AM | #4
What else do we want then the story of our characters? This is a story-basen game, and I like the planet-stories too. But the main thing that drove me further was my class' storyline, if it was just the quests, and the planet stuff... I'd be bored to hell personally.

I for one want the class storylines, in a game where your character you make is the center of your gameplay I feel it's important to continue that story, even if its the simplest thing ever. Like helping to conquer the planet as your sith warrior or inquisitor, get a few jobs of high value targets as a Bounty Hunter. Aslong as it ties into your classes story.
My thought on this, is that the planet storylines are apart of our characters. Planet quests aren't bad. In fact, I think some of them are quite fun (love Empire side Taris storyline), what I think will likely happen (for me anyways) is I'll get all classes to 50 at some point (4 down, 4 to go), but if they don't add in new class specific storylines, I'll have one Republic and one Empire side character that I focus on, and leave the rest at 50.

While my smuggler is the first to hit 55, it's between my Smuggler and my JK to be my main Republic side. Empire side I'm undecided all around!
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Slowpokeking
04.12.2013 , 12:21 PM | #5
Of course there should be class storylines.

stormdrakelord
04.12.2013 , 01:15 PM | #6
I can tell you that havoc squad was recognized the republic story. I am unsure about the others, but plan on getting a gunslinger moving that way.
Han Solo: Great, kid. Don't get cocky.

Darth-Obvious
04.12.2013 , 04:15 PM | #7
Good Day,

When they said "continue your storyline" they were talking about you the player and the storyline you create with your character. Makeb feels/plays like a class quest. It's on that same level of quality if not better. Infact if you played through Makeb with only 1 Empire character and/or 1 Republic character it would seem like an extension of your class quest.

It had already been mentioned quite awhile ago that they weren't continuing the class quests. After the game went F2P the idea of them continuing the class quests basically went out the window since they were basically the most expensive content to produce.

Think of it like this. Let's say they had 10 million dollars to produce 8 hours of content. Would you rather they a planet with 8 hours worth of content, or 8 different class quests with only 1 hour of content each? That's how it would work out. When it comes to game development you can't have both. You always have to sacrifice something in favor of something else. Doing both of those things, ie new class quests and planet quests along with a new planet is no longer and option for them at this point. They don't have the resources anymore to create the equivalent of the vanilla game.

Darth_Wicked
04.12.2013 , 04:23 PM | #8
Having in mind how this game was touted, when compared with others in the genre, it should have class storylines. The fact that some character recognizes me as the HoT or like some smuggler who brought down an imperial admiral does NOT change the fact that you invested DAYS(!), not hours but DAYS(!!!) in a character with his / her personal interest, whether or not it was related to the outgoing war between the Empire and Republic. For instance and beware, since spoilers for the JK lie below...
Spoiler

Again, I do respect the fact that some people don't mind about no storyline continuation but for me, it makes no sense whatsoever. Also, something as Makeb is not the answer, since its heavy focus on dailies just bored me to death, at least with my JK and GS; I couldn't walk two meters without getting attacked by some mob.

If that's to be the future of this game, I'm not very satisfied with it honestly... Don't count me out but I just expected something more and better.

Click here for a FREE character transfer and 7 days of subscription ( Referral Link FAQ )
Quote: Originally Posted by Guss This: A Failed Padawan Story
Have you heard this one? "There once was a Mon Cal from Dac. He wore a jetpack on his back..."
"He liked to shoot blasters, and fly even faster. He was a Mando-Cal attack."

Darth-Obvious
04.12.2013 , 05:06 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Wicked View Post
Again, I do respect the fact that some people don't mind about no storyline continuation but for me, it makes no sense whatsoever.
The fact that Bioware (Austin) no longer has the ability or resources to produce 8 separate class quests (for a F2P game) makes no sense to you?

Darth_Wicked
04.12.2013 , 07:25 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth-Obvious View Post
The fact that Bioware (Austin) no longer has the ability or resources to produce 8 separate class quests (for a F2P game) makes no sense to you?
Did you even care to read what I wrote above? If you didn't, I'd recommend you do so. Again, having in mind how the game was touted, class storylines should still be a priority.

I doubt most people who care for a story driven experience, combined with the kind of offer Bioware used to provide a few years back, are actually interested in repeating the same world arc, over and over again. World arcs should not become the focus of it all, for the reasons, as I've said already, I explained above.
Click here for a FREE character transfer and 7 days of subscription ( Referral Link FAQ )
Quote: Originally Posted by Guss This: A Failed Padawan Story
Have you heard this one? "There once was a Mon Cal from Dac. He wore a jetpack on his back..."
"He liked to shoot blasters, and fly even faster. He was a Mando-Cal attack."