Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Vanguard Nerf? Ion Cell now reduces all damage dealt by 5% while active. Why?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Vanguard Nerf? Ion Cell now reduces all damage dealt by 5% while active. Why?

Haydon
04.11.2013 , 03:34 PM | #1
Posted this in general. http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...96#post6139196

Vanguard Nerf?
Ion Cell now reduces all damage dealt by 5% while active. Why?

So now as a Vanguard Tank my total damage output is reduced by 5%.

Anyone have any idea why they decided to make this change? It's not like we were putting out huge damage numbers.

At the very least, if they're going to reduce our DPS (and therefore part of our threat generation) they could bump Ion cell's threat generation bonus by another 10%.

Zalekanzer
04.11.2013 , 03:44 PM | #2
I'm going to go ahead and blame PvP for this nerf. It's the most logical conclusion I can come to.
Still doesn't make sense tho.
<The Harbinger> Anzer Katzin Requiel Zevka Katzera

shucksy
04.11.2013 , 04:12 PM | #3
Makes hybrid specs in pvp less viable, it's a common theme.

GeckoOBac
04.11.2013 , 04:32 PM | #4
Uhm are you sure it wasn't always there? Cause that's the same for shadow tanks. Tank stance reduces dps.

[edit: to clarify, it did that to shadow tanks before 2.0]
Light Knights: Gecko - Syed - Vor'sann - Joya
Nightmare's Legion: Anhess - Avilus - Wittard - Schroedinger

JamieKirby
04.11.2013 , 04:37 PM | #5
Well, the issue now-a-days in mmos is that all balances are based around pvp, not sure why they would focus around the most boring and predictable aspect of a mmo, but that's just my thoughts on it.

Philelectric
04.11.2013 , 05:10 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by JamieKirby View Post
Well, the issue now-a-days in mmos is that all balances are based around pvp, not sure why they would focus around the most boring and predictable aspect of a mmo, but that's just my thoughts on it.
Sure,pvp is predictable... every fight are different,every ennemies are differents WZs mechanics are differents and even if you get the same WZ over and over, there is more than one strategy to win. Open world pvp(yes it exist in SWTOR) happen suddently with no warning.

pve, you go inside an instanced area to fight the same mobs over and over using the same rotation reaching the same bosses to fight them with the same mechanic/strategy and using your defensive CDs at the same time. If you are in a raid guild you are always with the same people to kill the same mobs.

Also, the mobs are always using the same ''rotation'' the adds are spawning at the same moment,ALWAYS.

But hey! PvP is more predictable than pve right?

Using your ''broken?'' logic, doing the same thing with the same people over and over again is less boring and less predictable than doing different things with differents people.
Guarding a healer is not only the job the the skill ''guard''. It is also your job to stay around the healer to be a plague for the people attacking the healer.

Haydon
04.11.2013 , 06:42 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by GeckoOBac View Post
Uhm are you sure it wasn't always there? Cause that's the same for shadow tanks. Tank stance reduces dps.

[edit: to clarify, it did that to shadow tanks before 2.0]
It was not there before, it's in the patch notes.

Plus I checked on my low level shadow tank. Combat Technique says it reduces "melee bonus damage by 5%." According to that, force attacks still do full damage, and only the bonus damage of your melee attacks is affected.

The description for Ion Cell (and the Powertech counterpart) says they reduce ALL damage by 5%. That's a much bigger hit than the one Combat Technique gives.

Zoom_VI
04.11.2013 , 07:56 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Zalekanzer View Post
I'm going to go ahead and blame PvP for this nerf. It's the most logical conclusion I can come to.
Still doesn't make sense tho.
Blame PvP?!? How?!? I can go weeks without seeing another van or PT in a wz that's using tank cell
Van tanks if anything need a PvP buff
Crinn
Trooper Hunter

Vanguard | Commando | Powertech | Mercenary
Quote: Originally Posted by Aves
Everything is fine, calm your Crinns

mfourcustom
04.11.2013 , 10:54 PM | #9
Didn't you know BWs grand plan was to nerf VG and all of its specs in to the ground to the point of making us useless in 2.0
Reroll.
Quit the game.
Stop giving these *****s money
They screwed us.
Move Mains.
VGs are dead.
unsubbed
Uninstalled
Learn to dev bioware.

ZeroPlus
04.12.2013 , 11:14 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by mfourcustom View Post
Didn't you know BWs grand plan was to nerf VG and all of its specs in to the ground to the point of making us useless in 2.0
Reroll.
Quit the game.
Stop giving these *****s money
They screwed us.
Move Mains.
VGs are dead.
You really need to start toning it down mfourcustom. It's getting tiring reading your tirades.
If you seek answers, you must always ask questions. - Master Vandar Tokare.

[Suggestion] Add another Blaster Pistol with the "A-300 Heavy Sonic Needler" model = DONE!