Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

An in-depth look at: Force Powers- Pyrokinesis

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
An in-depth look at: Force Powers- Pyrokinesis

Aurbere
04.11.2013 , 03:31 PM | #1
Sorry it's been so long since my last thread. I've been really busy with The BattleZone, my fan-fic, and the dailies in game. But I am back with a requested subject. This time, we examine Pyrokinesis.

"The Bothans called her 'Fire Eater'..."- Obi-Wan Kenobi, in regards to Knol Ven'nari.

Pyrokinesis is the Jedi art of manipulating or creating fire. Through the manipulation of molecules, a Jedi can create fire, or manipulate an already open flame.

A Jedi can create fire by manipulate the molecules of combustible objects to create fire. Through this, a Jedi can create fire to serve several purposes be it offensive or defensive in nature. Jedi Master Yarael Poof was masterful in this area, and his capabilities were infamous amongst members of the Jedi Order.

Typically, a Jedi would simply manipulate an existing flame. Through the Force, a Jedi could turn the smallest flame into a raging inferno. This was seen when Darth Sidious killed Pax Teem by coaxing a small flame to set fire to the latter's room to kill him. Manipulation of flame could be taken so far as to redirect explosions. This was shown when Knol Ven'nari protected her allies from several explosions by drawing the flame to her. This, unfortunately killed her.

There is a broad range of applications for this ability. A Jedi can create fire for offense, or even use it to survive in the wild by creating a small fire. It should, however, be noted that a Jedi should be wary of the flame created. Raging inferno's could spread, endangering innocent lives.

There is an ability that can be used to have the opposite effect of Pyrokinesis. The ability is known as Cryokinesis, and is used to draw the heat out of an object or person. When used on a person, it would draw the heat out of them to subdue them. However, it is unlikely that this could be used on the self.

It should be noted that there are other abilities that can be used to create fire. A practitioner of Alter Environment can manipulate molecules to raise temperatures to the point that objects could spontaneously combust. Though this would most likely endanger the user as well.

Pyrokinesis has its uses, but has the potential to cause more harm than good. However, despite the drawbacks, Pyrokinesis remains a powerful tool.

Requested by Killikaa and Bionamaster
Added Chapter 66 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Selenial
04.11.2013 , 03:39 PM | #2
Another great thread!

Ive always been interested in this, never knew if it existed, or was possible before...
Thanks for the great read, well constructed and insightful as always
We all live or die as Krayt wills, Stryfe. At his word, I would cut out my own heart. Or yours.
Celéna Mercenary Cathinka Seeliara Sage

Aurbere
04.11.2013 , 03:48 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Selenial View Post
Another great thread!

Ive always been interested in this, never knew if it existed, or was possible before...
Thanks for the great read, well constructed and insightful as always
It's not exactly well known. There have been like only four or five uses in all of canon that I know of. It's very rare, indeed.

Thanks for reading. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Ventessel
04.12.2013 , 07:05 AM | #4
It's interesting that you're slowly compiling these overview threads, but it does concern me that some "Force Powers" which were introduced as individual gimmicks for a certain character or group of Force Sensitives may slowly end up applied across the whole spectrum of Force Users.

As you said, pyrokinesis is pretty rare, and not really a stock power. Just like Force Walking is almost a unique ability for the Kalligs, there are certain abilities which are tied more to particular characters than Force Sensitives in general.

One thing which has annoyed me tremendously was the Battle Meditation splurge. Initially, Bastila Shan was a really valuable character to the Republic because of her ability to use Battle Meditation. She turned the tide of entire engagements simply through the Force. Since then, more and more people have remarkably developed Battle Meditation, and numerous characters were ret-conned into having it. At this point, it's pretty much par for the course that a powerful commander or Sith Lord must have Battle Meditation.

Originally, it wasn't a "learned skill" but rather an innate power which could only be refined, not taught. I feel that pyrokinesis is similar in this respect.
The Heir to ChaosAdded Chapter Sixteen-- 17 APR 2013
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” ~ George Orwell

Beniboybling
04.12.2013 , 08:14 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Ventessel View Post
It's interesting that you're slowly compiling these overview threads, but it does concern me that some "Force Powers" which were introduced as individual gimmicks for a certain character or group of Force Sensitives may slowly end up applied across the whole spectrum of Force Users.

As you said, pyrokinesis is pretty rare, and not really a stock power. Just like Force Walking is almost a unique ability for the Kalligs, there are certain abilities which are tied more to particular characters than Force Sensitives in general.

One thing which has annoyed me tremendously was the Battle Meditation splurge. Initially, Bastila Shan was a really valuable character to the Republic because of her ability to use Battle Meditation. She turned the tide of entire engagements simply through the Force. Since then, more and more people have remarkably developed Battle Meditation, and numerous characters were ret-conned into having it. At this point, it's pretty much par for the course that a powerful commander or Sith Lord must have Battle Meditation.

Originally, it wasn't a "learned skill" but rather an innate power which could only be refined, not taught. I feel that pyrokinesis is similar in this respect.
Kinda agree with you at least on Battle Meditation. It doesn't seem all that rare anymore and certainly not an innate ability as it originally was.

Although I think pyrokinesis is a little different. It could be that many Force users can use it, but simply choose not to or not have the opportunity to. Because essentially it is a form of telekinesis. Although I expect some Force users have a more natural affinity for it than others, which can be said of many Force powers.

Great thread by the way Aurbere, its been to long since my modest knowledge banks were expanded!

Aurbere
04.12.2013 , 10:25 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Ventessel View Post

It's happening with pretty much everything, I feel. Force Lightning was originally a Palpatine only ability, now every Sith (even Jedi) use it.

Battle Meditation, I believe, is still an innate ability. Though it is odd that so many people have it. Satele Shan is understandable, considering that she's a descendant of Bastila.

Just something we have to go with I guess.

Aurbere
04.12.2013 , 10:26 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post

Great thread by the way Aurbere, its been to long since my modest knowledge banks were expanded!
I'm glad I could help.

Thanks for reading.

TalonVII
04.12.2013 , 01:42 PM | #8
STILL waiting for Wedge -taps foot-

But on the flip side any oddball ships you'd like me to go digging about?

Aannnndd BTW, nice read
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy

Kilikaa
04.12.2013 , 02:04 PM | #9
Great read! I always wondered if I just pulled a Force power out of my backside when I was writing one of fanfics a couple years ago and gave a character the ability to create/control fire. Thanks to your alter environment and pyrokenisis threads I now see I was not making it up, lol. Seems I have some work to do fleshing out the character's power. Something I look forward to doing.

Thanks Aurbere!

Aurbere
04.12.2013 , 05:25 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by TalonVII View Post
STILL waiting for Wedge -taps foot-

But on the flip side any oddball ships you'd like me to go digging about?

Aannnndd BTW, nice read
Wedge is a really long one, and is going to take some time. "Patience! Soon you will be with him!"