Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Powertech PVP Video @ 20 as Advanced Proto spec in Huttball

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Vanguard / Powertech
Powertech PVP Video @ 20 as Advanced Proto spec in Huttball

taugrimtaugrim
12.21.2011 , 11:04 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by SCLOBERNOCKER View Post
He is AP...
But Tau, you should definately do a pyro video. I honestly think its more your playstyle. Gives you more flexibility to kite at range where needed, but still get in the face of casters.
Advanced Proto fits me like a glove.

I won't try Pyrotech without a good reason because I don't want to start increasing my respec costs.

My plan is to level with AP and try Shield Tech at higher levels.
Taugrim
PVP Maven, Guide Writer, Host on GAMEBREAKER's The Republic show
@taugrim | taugrim.com
Guides: Resolve | Powertech/Vanguard PVP | Defense/Shielding | Bolster

taugrimtaugrim
12.21.2011 , 02:30 PM | #12
Just got Grapple @ 22. It's amazing

By the way, here is the spec I ran @ 20:
http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/...efe2f5ef4e2f21
Taugrim
@taugrim | taugrim.com

Nowiser
12.21.2011 , 03:36 PM | #13
I run as Shieldtech, and have a blast. Level 30 here, the combo between having grapple, and Jet Charge is a lot of fun. Especially since Jet Charge is on a 15 second cooldown, between that and grapple people cannot run.

Great video though, Look forward to watching more, make me want to try AP but like you said, got to keep those respec costs down!

Also, Powertechs appear to gear faster in PvP than any other class because of how many medals we are able to get, i consistently get 6-8, which means more commendations and valor. I have also found that the PvP gear at 20 was excellent for leveling as well, still have a piece or 2 i havnt been able to replace at 30. So not only does the occasional pvp while leveling provide a great opportunity to learn your class, also helps with your gear!

badalchemist
12.21.2011 , 03:41 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Nowiser View Post
I run as Shieldtech, and have a blast. Level 30 here, the combo between having grapple, and Jet Charge is a lot of fun. Especially since Jet Charge is on a 15 second cooldown, between that and grapple people cannot run.

Great video though, Look forward to watching more, make me want to try AP but like you said, got to keep those respec costs down!

Also, Powertechs appear to gear faster in PvP than any other class because of how many medals we are able to get, i consistently get 6-8, which means more commendations and valor. I have also found that the PvP gear at 20 was excellent for leveling as well, still have a piece or 2 i havnt been able to replace at 30. So not only does the occasional pvp while leveling provide a great opportunity to learn your class, also helps with your gear!
You can practically get that many medals just by making sure you always have Guard on someone as well

taugrimtaugrim
12.22.2011 , 03:09 PM | #15
Also, Powertechs appear to gear faster in PvP than any other class because of how many medals we are able to get, i consistently get 6-8, which means more commendations and valor
If you PVP frequently, you'll cap out your Valor Rank to your Level regardless of class.

I've found that 6 of the 8 ACs are fairly straightforward for getting 6-8 medals. Just the Warrior archetypes have a rougher go at it.

I have also found that the PvP gear at 20 was excellent for leveling as well!
Absolutely, since they don't have the Expertise stat. And given that there are multiple pieces for each slot, you can pick the appropriate one for PVE.
Taugrim
@taugrim | taugrim.com

Joshuha
12.22.2011 , 04:27 PM | #16
Using a build working my way up to Retractable Blade (not there yet) I was able to wreak some havoc on Huttball last night. I have to say that this game is the most fun I have had PvP'ing in awhile.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4606305/Warzone.png

ZeusThunder
12.23.2011 , 01:17 AM | #17
Can everyone watch how this guy passed the ball? See that pugs, he passed the ball.

manteats
12.23.2011 , 03:49 PM | #18
Much appreciated Taugrim, I play a 30 PT/AP and your guides are invaluable. Good work

NoDayLkeDoomsday
12.24.2011 , 01:10 AM | #19
I've been looking for a vid like this for a while! I'm also rolling an advanced prototype, but I'm new to MMO's and am still trying to master the control scheme in general. I'm all over the place when it comes to the order of my abilities, heat buildup, situational ability selection, movement, etc.

Have any tips for someone like me in terms of the basics (macros, timing, even stuff I'm obviously not even aware of) for this class? Again, great video and thanks for any input.

...Now I'm going to go watch that video 20 more times and take some notes, heh...

taugrimtaugrim
12.24.2011 , 03:43 PM | #20
FYI, the past few days I've been trying the following:
1. Advanced Proto with Ion Gas Cylinder
2. Shield Tech with Ion Gas Cylinder
3. Advanced Proto with High Energy Gas Cylinder

The first gives Guard capability with good damage and interrupt / pull capability.

The second is durable, has Grapple-root, but burst and sustained is mediocre.

The third as expected provides the most punch in terms of burst and sustained damage with interrupt / pull capability, but no Guard.

Obviously you can switch stances but with the 1.5-sec cast time and the highly mobile nature of Powertech PVP, switching Cylinders mid-combat isn't as fluid as it is with the other tank ACs.

Quote: Originally Posted by NoDayLkeDoomsday View Post
Have any tips for someone like me in terms of the basics (macros, timing, even stuff I'm obviously not even aware of) for this class? Again, great video and thanks for any input.

...Now I'm going to go watch that video 20 more times and take some notes, heh...
That's pretty broad in scope, and I haven't yet published a written Guide yet.

What you can do is check out the previous streams to see the playstyle and commentary and/or join a scheduled stream to ask me questions in real-time between matches.
Taugrim
@taugrim | taugrim.com