Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Powertech PVP Video @ 20 as Advanced Proto spec in Huttball

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Vanguard / Powertech
Powertech PVP Video @ 20 as Advanced Proto spec in Huttball

taugrimtaugrim
12.20.2011 , 07:48 PM | #1
On YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwKcj2tvbRc
On my blog: http://taugrim.com/2011/12/20/swtor-...c-in-huttball/

This is my first gameplay / guide video for the Powertech advanced class in Star Wars: The Old Republic. Powertech is the mirror class to the Trooper Vanguard, so the material covered in this video is relevant to players of either class.

The video provides detailed educational commentary on Powertech's single-target and AOE damage mechanics, CC abilities, defensive tactics, and analysis of match play in Huttball.

I queued solo for this match and finished with 273k damage, 51 kills, 23 killing blows, 2 solo kills, and 15k Protection.

Also included is a clip of my 20 Powertech soloing a 28 Trooper Commando (at 35% health) and 28 Jedi Consular Sage.

Here is the spec used in the video:
http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/...efe2f5ef4e2f21

Comments / Errata:
1. I sometimes referred to Powertech abilities by their counterpart Vanguard names. E.g. Mortar Volley instead of Death From Above, Gut instead of Retractable Blade
2. the Jedi Consular who punted me was Shadow not Sage spec'd
3. one thing I didn't mention was Neural Dart. As a Taunt, it debuffs your target's damage by 30% against any friendly except for you

To see me PVP'ing live, check out the streaming schedule on TwitchTV. My stream features real-time narration and commentary - and to the extent possible interaction with the Chat Room.
Taugrim
PVP Maven, Guide Writer, Host on GAMEBREAKER's The Republic show
@taugrim | taugrim.com
Guides: Resolve | Powertech/Vanguard PVP | Defense/Shielding | Bolster

skullkandy
12.20.2011 , 07:55 PM | #2
Thank you so much!

I've been watching videos the past couple days to decide class between playing early release. It seemed every really good video I ran across was yours.

Seriously, exactly what I was looking for. Great commentary, not annoying sounding or dumb. Comments on the gameplay, tactics, overall feel of class and how it plays all good stuff and helpful.
Video editing was not jarring, was smooth to watch and follow. Written tips on screen made it easier to remember.
All around great. I wanted pvp gameplay with commentary and a bit of education about the class. Keep it up please.

Guiltor
12.20.2011 , 07:56 PM | #3
Great to see you here Taugrim! Love watching the streams/gamebreaker videos.

I'm playing a Powertech as well, so it's always nice to see some tips for my own class.

Keep up the good work!

ChosenPredator
12.20.2011 , 08:16 PM | #4
damn this is going to be a noob question but for the life of me i can't figure out how to expand the skill bar like you have
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aSKh...el_video_title check out my helmet building progress tokusatsu inspired & some bounty hunter inspiration.

taugrimtaugrim
12.21.2011 , 03:40 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by skullkandy View Post
I've been watching videos the past couple days to decide class between playing early release. It seemed every really good video I ran across was yours.

Seriously, exactly what I was looking for. Great commentary, not annoying sounding or dumb. Comments on the gameplay, tactics, overall feel of class and how it plays all good stuff and helpful.
Glad to hear it.

Quote: Originally Posted by skullkandy View Post
Video editing was not jarring, was smooth to watch and follow. Written tips on screen made it easier to remember.
Thanks for the feedback re: the written tips.

That's something I started doing with my SWTOR videos, so it's good to hear they are helpful.

Quote: Originally Posted by ChosenPredator View Post
damn this is going to be a noob question but for the life of me i can't figure out how to expand the skill bar like you have
Preferences -> User Interface -> Quickbars -> Enable the Bottom Center / Left / Right
Taugrim
@taugrim | taugrim.com

ChosenPredator
12.21.2011 , 06:14 AM | #6
sweet thanks - so should powertech - placing points in shield use armor with cunning/endurance as opposed to strength..what would be the best set of armor to use around 25/26ish
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aSKh...el_video_title check out my helmet building progress tokusatsu inspired & some bounty hunter inspiration.

juzdoit
12.21.2011 , 08:11 AM | #7
hey m8 , question ? why do u use the pyro tech instead of adv proto ? i currently am planning on adv proto but ur dps made me hesitant about my decision

SCLOBERNOCKER
12.21.2011 , 08:14 AM | #8
He is AP...
But Tau, you should definately do a pyro video. I honestly think its more your playstyle. Gives you more flexibility to kite at range where needed, but still get in the face of casters.
CONTRACT ACCEPTED

-Fel-
12.21.2011 , 10:35 AM | #9
Great video, Taugrim. Hope to run into you and kill some Republic together at some point.
-= Felandis =-
Imperial Vanguard
-= Jung Ma =-
Felandis@gmail.com

taugrimtaugrim
12.21.2011 , 11:03 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by ChosenPredator View Post
sweet thanks - so should powertech - placing points in shield use armor with cunning/endurance
Aim is the primary stat for BH's.

For PVP you do want to have a healthy amount of Endurance.

I haven't had time yet to sort out what ratio to get between the two, but I've been doing 50/50.

Quote: Originally Posted by juzdoit View Post
hey m8 , question ? why do u use the pyro tech instead of adv proto ? i currently am planning on adv proto but ur dps made me hesitant about my decision
All 3 trees are very effective in PVP.

Pyrotech provides heavy DoT capability (which opens up Rail Shot) and proc-snare effects. So it's great for kiting and running down opponents.

Advanced Proto provides strong short range (0-10m) capability in terms of damage.

I personally prefer AP because I want to get in the grill of healers and casters and pressure the heck out of them, and with the emphasis on 10m attacks that's plenty of range to kite melees between 5-9m (against JK/SW) and 5-10m (against Shadow/Assassin).

Play the tree that suits you. They all have excellent mechanics.
Taugrim
@taugrim | taugrim.com