Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Terrible FPS

Taynt_UK
12.20.2011 , 07:30 PM | #1
Right, system specs:

i7 820QM boosting up to 3GHZ,
4Gb DDR3,
Nvidia 480M.

Now, I'm aware I'm on a laptop. I'm also aware that I shouldn't be expecting to play the game with all the bells and whistles at 120FPS.

Unfortunately, I'm not attempting to, and yet I'm still getting such terrible performance it's seriously marring my enjoyment of the game - to the point I'm struggling to bring myself to play it. I get the problem everywhere, but it's worst by far in Warzones; 15 FPS and huge ability lag makes PvP pretty much unplayable.

I've tried setting everything on low. I've tried setting everything on high, then low. I've tried forcing settings from within my Nvidia Control Panel. I've tried lowering the resolution. I've tried disabling shadows, shaders and bloom. I've killed every non-critical background process I can find, and run virus scans and memtest. Drivers are all fully up-to-date. V-Sync is off.

None of it makes any difference. I get from anywhere up to 80 fps in an uninhabited, indoor area, all the way down to 10-25 most of the time. While my laptop is no longer top of the range, the fact it can handle games like Skyrim, etc, on High settings without hiccuping, is indicative that I should be getting far better performance out of SWTOR.

Basically, I'm desperate for a fix. Suggestions or stories of people with similar experiences would be much appreciated.

TL;DR: Terrible framerate, tried all the 'fixes', should be getting far better performance. HALP.

Taynt_UK
12.20.2011 , 09:06 PM | #2
Half hearted bump.

Blackstang
12.20.2011 , 09:10 PM | #3
10-25 most of the time with everything on low?

Festral
12.20.2011 , 09:16 PM | #4
I too am experienceing poor FPS (15-45) which ranges in Warzones, Cities and populated places. I posted a thread about my issue and some people were experiencing the same and I had a few possible solutions from others suggestions then BioWare decided to close the thread and refer me to another post which apparently was the same topic. I still have found no solution to it which is really frustrating and not only that but the fact that I was being fed possible solutions from other people which did help a lot.

Computer Spec:
12GB DDR3 1600MHz
i7 950 3.07GHz
NVIDIA GTX 480 1536MB
Festral - Memia
Website . Apply . Thread

tXHereticXt
12.20.2011 , 09:20 PM | #5
Hate to tell ya but as a worse case scenario, your Laptop is the problem.

CobyAU
12.20.2011 , 09:21 PM | #6
turn off shadows in graphics settings .. = instant doubling of fps