Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So BW can we expect iconic Jedi outfits anytime soon ? -eric- ?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
So BW can we expect iconic Jedi outfits anytime soon ? -eric- ?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DarknessInLight
11.28.2013 , 11:32 AM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_Karsk View Post
You know that looks like this and this

We have asked forever and still nothing.Lots of jedi playing this game you know and many of us
actually want to look like they do in the real star wars universe.
In the Star Wars universe(note the intended omission of the word "real"), not every Jedi wears the robe and tunic combination shown in the films. While I don't like a lot of the outfits available in SWTOR for the Jedi, I think that some of them that are available(if you mix and match) are definitely Jedi-ish.

Here are a couple of great examples of movie Jedi who aren't wearing the "traditional" robes.

Example 1

Example 2

It also might have to do with the fact that the Jedi are at war. You just looked at Luke Skywalker during war, now lets look at him during a time of relative peace in the Galaxy. See, there are the robes during peace and a different, more functional outfit during war.
Jedi do not fight for Peace. That's only a slogan, and is as misleading, as slogans always are. Jedi fight for Civilization, because only Civilization creates Peace. - Jedi Master Mace Windu

OddballEasyEight
11.28.2013 , 11:37 AM | #122
Quote: Originally Posted by Sportiva View Post
I HATE this argument. First off, the Traditional Jedi Robes that we are talking about can be found in KOTOR I & II. So to use your analogy, it is like pre-Roman's wearing jeans & hoodies, Roman's switching to toga's, then jean's & hoodies remarkably making a reappearance 3,000 years later.

Secondly, to be consistent, remove all Smuggler gear, Imperial uniforms, Trooper armors, Bounty Hunters armors that look strikingly similar to what we have seen in the movies & other modern EU depictions.

Finally, BW used many example of Traditional Jedi attire in the promo materials. Most notably in many scenes from the Timeline journals and the web comics.
Heh, I kinda knew that comment would bring out those two arguments.
Sure, the jedi had kinda the outfits in KotOR, but there are two issues with that:
1: The only thing you really can't get from the KotOR outfits in the game (with a bit of imagination and some dyes) are the long sleeves, but since we have gotten long sleeved robes in the cartel market (like the Marka Ragnos one) I bet that is coming soon(-ish).
2: That was still 300 years ago. Look at how much fashion has changed in the last 300 years. Maby jedi were going through a more "traditional" phase back then?

Oh and as for the trooper, bounty hunter and whatnot else examples, the jedi-robe-diehards never get that those outfits that those classes have are about as close to the "traditional" (ie. the movies) outfits as the jedi ones.
People whine and moan about how different the jedi robes are. But they really aren't that different.
Sure, they have shorter sleaves, they have patterns instead of just plain brown and they often have the hood up.
Those are the main differences (yes there are the extreme examples, but those exist in all classes).
The Trooper has no really clone/stormtrooper looking helmets (except one, but that one has a sattelite dish in it, so thats moote). The bounty hunter has no boba fett looking armour (yeah, the ones in the game are not even remotely close to his armour unless you just count all armour as "boba fett-y"). The smuggler has no iconic han solo vest.
Sure there are vests, but they all have some wierd cushion around the neck and tons of techy stuff on them.
Then there are the Sith... remind me again, how many plain black robes do they have?
Oh, that's right, one... with a silver stripe on the hood for no apparant reason.

So don't give me that "but the other classes have their iconic movie looks" argument.
Because it's not true.
And it shouldn't.
This is a different era, they wore different outfits than they did in the movies or when KotOR took place.
Get over it, wear a robe with short sleaves... or dye the marka ragnos one brown.
Get a FREE character transfer and 7 FREE days of subscription, plus a bunch of other useful stuff by clicking my referral link.
Click here for my videos previewing blaster sounds.

Alec_Fortescue
11.28.2013 , 12:28 PM | #123
Quote: Originally Posted by OddballEasyEight View Post
Heh, I kinda knew that comment would bring out those two arguments.
Sure, the jedi had kinda the outfits in KotOR, but there are two issues with that:
1: The only thing you really can't get from the KotOR outfits in the game (with a bit of imagination and some dyes) are the long sleeves, but since we have gotten long sleeved robes in the cartel market (like the Marka Ragnos one) I bet that is coming soon(-ish).
2: That was still 300 years ago. Look at how much fashion has changed in the last 300 years. Maby jedi were going through a more "traditional" phase back then?
"I am Master Gnost-Dural and I disapprove of this message. Just check out my holopics of the good old days on Tython and early days in the SIS.
http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...l_SIS_JMGD.jpg
http://images.wikia.com/starwars/ima...Dural_JMGD.jpg

They even caught me, and my Jedi ally, fighting Sith together! Look, we're not wearing any armor - we're so ******!"
http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__..._duel_JMGD.jpg

Quote:
This is a different era, they wore different outfits than they did in the movies or when KotOR took place.
http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/__...er_Allusis.JPG
http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__.../Bothawui3.jpg
Full traditional armor just with some poor and small shoulder pads slapped on. Jedi were dressing like this for centuries.

Btw what matters atm is that devs SAID this almost exactly a year ago:
Quote:
Schubert: We'll be adding new stuff regularly. We want to add archetypal armor, stuff that looks like a traditional Jedi Knight and the iconic classes.
And Eric himself responded to the pictures in this thread :[
Bioware, please let us know if we're ever going to see iconic Jedi robes in the game... Or why not?

http://www.swtor.com/r/FsJS44 - Accept my referral to express gratitude for my years-long fight for iconic Jedi attire in this "Star Wars" game. You'll get some goodies on top of it, too.

Silko
11.28.2013 , 01:00 PM | #124
For the record, Luke didn't wear iconic jedi robes in the movies because the idea of iconic jedi robes didn't exist. He didn't know that the robes Ben was wearing where old Jedi robes. Once he knew what traditional Jedi robes looked like he used them. Read the books.

Have there been many great Jedi who did not wear the classic robes? Yes. Are there great Jedi that did wear the classic robes? Yes. So my question is why are people so against the idea of people running around in Jedi robes with in a Star Wars game? Don't like the idea of wearing robes? OK don't wear them but don't try to limit other people. Also with the Dye system people can use these Jedi robes to make Dark Jedi robes. It will kill two birds with one stone.
"Those who ask for mercy, are too weak to deserve it"

Dark Intentions Website

LordRoth
11.29.2013 , 04:23 AM | #125
Not entirely sure who said this game isn't canon, but uh..

It is.
Squadron 238

Naga Sadow

Library - Terrible Sorcerer

Alec_Fortescue
11.29.2013 , 04:26 AM | #126
Quote: Originally Posted by Silko View Post
It will kill two birds with one stone.
My thoughts exactly! Good man and a brother in arms!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK75WsWUVeM&t=1m37s
Bioware, please let us know if we're ever going to see iconic Jedi robes in the game... Or why not?

http://www.swtor.com/r/FsJS44 - Accept my referral to express gratitude for my years-long fight for iconic Jedi attire in this "Star Wars" game. You'll get some goodies on top of it, too.

OddballEasyEight
11.29.2013 , 06:15 AM | #127
Quote: Originally Posted by Alec_Fortescue View Post
"I am Master Gnost-Dural and I disapprove of this message. Just check out my holopics of the good old days on Tython and early days in the SIS.
http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...l_SIS_JMGD.jpg
http://images.wikia.com/starwars/ima...Dural_JMGD.jpg

They even caught me, and my Jedi ally, fighting Sith together! Look, we're not wearing any armor - we're so ******!"
http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__..._duel_JMGD.jpg

http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/__...er_Allusis.JPG
http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__.../Bothawui3.jpg
Full traditional armor just with some poor and small shoulder pads slapped on. Jedi were dressing like this for centuries.

Btw what matters atm is that devs SAID this almost exactly a year ago:

And Eric himself responded to the pictures in this thread :[
Well this is kinda priceless.
I already said that you can get basically all those looks from the timeline videos except the long sleeves.
As for the other pics you had with some shoulder pads on, those are exactly the types of armour that some people here seem to be raging against. "jedi don't wear armour" and all that stuff.
And as for what the devs said, they have indeed put out some more traditional looking sets already. For example the jolee bindo set, the diabolist set (For sith) and the relnex set.
And alot of other sets too that combine to make pretty great "traditional" jedi sets.
And now that the marka ragnos set is out, the long sleeves seem to be coming too.

Also, the pic of gnost fighting a sith... if you look close you'll see that the sith is actually wearing a bit of armour. And gnost is arguably a jedi consular, and they don't wear armour anyway (but they still fight).
Get a FREE character transfer and 7 FREE days of subscription, plus a bunch of other useful stuff by clicking my referral link.

OddballEasyEight
11.29.2013 , 06:24 AM | #128
Quote: Originally Posted by Silko View Post
For the record, Luke didn't wear iconic jedi robes in the movies because the idea of iconic jedi robes didn't exist. He didn't know that the robes Ben was wearing where old Jedi robes. Once he knew what traditional Jedi robes looked like he used them. Read the books.

Have there been many great Jedi who did not wear the classic robes? Yes. Are there great Jedi that did wear the classic robes? Yes. So my question is why are people so against the idea of people running around in Jedi robes with in a Star Wars game? Don't like the idea of wearing robes? OK don't wear them but don't try to limit other people. Also with the Dye system people can use these Jedi robes to make Dark Jedi robes. It will kill two birds with one stone.
I don't think anyone is against jedi running around in robes.
It's just that some people here refuse to accept this, this, this, this, this or this as jedi robes.
No, they haaaaaaaaave to look exaaaactly like they do in the movies... down to the last detail.

It's kinda funny because you don't see much whining like that in the other classes... sure, there are some that want the "iconic" mandalorian helmet in the game, but other than that, there are few complaints.

AlrikFassbauer
11.29.2013 , 06:49 AM | #129
Well, the movies set the standard.
Not the Expanded Universe.
You hardly ever see Jedi wearing actual armor in the movies; Obi-Wan wears his only in the Clone Wars animated series.
I'm a bad player.
I have no good reputation.
I never will.
Only bad reputation.

Sportiva
11.29.2013 , 10:35 AM | #130
Quote: Originally Posted by OddballEasyEight View Post
I don't think anyone is against jedi running around in robes.
It's just that some people here refuse to accept this, this, this, this, this or this as jedi robes.
No, they haaaaaaaaave to look exaaaactly like they do in the movies... down to the last detail.

It's kinda funny because you don't see much whining like that in the other classes... sure, there are some that want the "iconic" mandalorian helmet in the game, but other than that, there are few complaints.
I don't understand people such as yourself that are so opposed to a simple request. BW's business model is to make money with the CM. Since they pledge to keep the CM items cosmetic, does it not make sense to you for them to add items that are being heavily requested?

All of the "traditional" Jedi outfits that BW has put in game have issues with them that people such as myself find objectionable. For me there are three issues:
1) The pants are WAY TOO TIGHT. By far my biggest objections.
2) Belt outside of the outer robe
3) Short sleeves.
Master Jaice Jenod Guardian | Velo Jenx Gunslinger | Master Gira Jenx Sage | Major Jaxen Jenod Vanguard
Saena Jenod Mercenary | Dulymus Jenod Operative | Darth Scoura Assassin | Darth Zetara Marauder