Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Bolster = end of swtor PvP?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Bolster = end of swtor PvP?

04.10.2013 , 03:07 AM | #1
I get the idea of having a system where being undergeared isn't as big a hamstring as in most mmo's. But is it going to kill this game? At least pvp wise?
Most people need a goal to shoot for, something they want to work towards to keep them interested in the game. While WoW is a flawed system it has kept players occupied by dangling ever shinier more powerful gear in front of their noses. What is going to be that carrot on a stick in swtor?
Without that carrot I'm affraid the horse will grow bored and start looking around for something else to chew on. Imo if you don't leave enough of a gap between new level 55 / PvE gear and the elite PvP sets your going to lose people. That's just the harsh reality.
Most people want to strut around in their full elite set, show off and be "powerful". Rewarded for their hard work by standing out and just having a title over your head isn't good enough for most. If they are getting 2-4 shotted in their hard earned gear by a guy in greens, they will flip their keyboard and yell "F this game, this is BS! What the hell was the point of all that comms grinding if a newb can kill me in a gcd?"
People are flawed that's why communism will never work, people have to feel like they are on top, better than the average. Percieved or not.

04.10.2013 , 03:26 AM | #2
and if there is no bolster why would low levels do pvp?

04.10.2013 , 03:26 AM | #3
Yeah, i think it's very important to have a "carrot" and im a bit worried as well regarding this change...doesn't matter if a handful of people are saying they don't care for progress - fact remains that most people are driven by exactly what you describe.

If they're gonna make everyones gear about the same level, then we need something else to progress with. And they gave us nothing, in fact they even removed stuff from the pvp vendor like the pets and vehicle...unless they moved those to some other pvp vendor?

Without stuff to work for i think the pvp community will shrink in the long run...and we will see less that pvp fulltime and more that only queue for dailies, which in turn will result in lesser quality on the pvp itself.
The Crestfallen Legacy
Assassin | Sorcerer | Marauder | Sniper | Mercenary
"You should never trust quotes you read on the internet" Abraham Lincoln

04.10.2013 , 03:36 AM | #4
People are deathly afraid but fail to realise that bolster is being balanced for rank 55 pvp. Not 50 pvp, you can all relax!

04.10.2013 , 03:40 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Distilde View Post
Again while WoW isn't perfect it is the most successful MMO ever and in that there are level brackets. Again not perfect but so far the best solution. So that even in low level pvp if you work to make sure your gear is up to date for your level you are rewarded. Or if you have a main and this is your alt you can get BOAs and not have to worry about updating as much, but still rewards for accomplishing something.

04.10.2013 , 03:40 AM | #6
Took all my heavy-plated power armor off - got 5% armor increase. EA - make the imposible possible.

04.10.2013 , 03:45 AM | #7
Well we have to wait and see.

The Bolster system now is seriously messed up (as was offcially confirmed). So we have to wait how things go when everything is fixed, in particular how lvl 55 pvp will play out.

But I agree: I dont see that a system which would reward continuous pvp play with no or only minor mechanical meaningful upgrades as a system which will keep many pvp players on the hook in the long term.

I, at least, need a meaningful character progression in an MMORPG after I hit max level to keep me playing on the long run. And since all character progresseion at max level is = gear progression, yes, I need items to grind by doing pvp which will make me noticeable better in pvp. Yes, I need a sense of achievement beyond: Oh look, my pvp statistics say now that this is my 750th WZ., and I have won 400 of them. Same goes for pve, btw.

Now, I expect the following typical (snarky) replies by some:

- real pvp players do not need a gear advantage - it should be just about "skill"
- duh, why don`t you just stop playing if the pvp alone (without rewards) isnt enough for you
- bah, who needs "carrots"

To that I say:

- good for you
- funny how you never hear the same about PVE (I mean, why have gear at all? Isnt it unfair that some peole are excluded form high level PVE because they have not the proper gear, shouldnt top tier raiding also not just be about "skill"?)
- this is a MMORPG not a FPS, or a RTS, or a MOBA. I personally do have different expactations when it comes to these games, regarding progression and "balance".
- Finally, if you really want a "level playing field" and "balance" in an MMORPG, you would need to remove all classes as well. Ever tried to play hutball without a tankng class? Ever tried to solo defend a node with a pyro mercenary as opposed to defending with a tank assassin/shadow? Where is you "balance" here?

04.10.2013 , 03:46 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Distilde View Post
There should be Bolster, but imo not so much that it renders PvP gear obsolete. (And this might not be the case either in the 55's, remains to be seen)

But IF they are gonna make gear unneeded in Warzones, then they must give those who only pvp another carrot to reach for - or many will grow tired of it eventually. Not all, but many.

Just take WZ comms for example...If we start pvp at level the time we're 55, how many comms have you aquired by then? And for those comms, what can you buy?

Assuming that people will go on and on pvping just for the fun of pvping is a road to failure imo, specially in a system where ppl are forced to enter warzones they might hate and then have nothing to "gain" for completing it....not even creds enough to compete with doing PvE dailies...
The Crestfallen Legacy
Assassin | Sorcerer | Marauder | Sniper | Mercenary
"You should never trust quotes you read on the internet" Abraham Lincoln

04.10.2013 , 03:47 AM | #9
IM all for little to no gear gap, and having new pvpers jump in without getting 2 shotted. But there needs to be some reason to get the gear. But there isnt, everyone can just naked pvp and 2 shot each other, there is no reason to actually grind gear. And Bolster is broken still !!!! (IN fact having crazy high pve stats and getting free bolster expertise is probably best, raid for pvp!)
so what is left for actual PVPers?
ideally bolster would help us in warzones and we would be aiming for real PVP gear to help us in objective based epic world pvp battles for resources and bases and faction buffs.....but there is no open world pvp like that, at best we can troll someones spaceport until we are ignored.

IM a CE owner played nonstop since early access, I always support this game. But my confidence is shaken and my resolve is wearing thin. Ill take my time and enjoy Makeb but if open world pvp and/or bolster isnt changed/fixed by the time im doen ill probably cancel for the first time until they fix the game
Death By Snu Snu- The Spirit is Willing But The Flesh is Spongy and Bruised

04.10.2013 , 03:50 AM | #10
Doesn't Bolster only work from 10~54, and 55s are once again, gear based?
What's star wars?