Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I love the new Trick Shot!

SW_display_name
04.09.2013 , 10:13 AM | #1
I just want to say that the changes to Trick Shot / Sharpshooter feel really awesome. I always wanted to play Sharpshooter with my GS, but found the weird way Trick Shot worked unpleasant and clunky.

The new Trick Shot design feels smooth and fluid, it's really fun to play. It just feels natural and intuitive and has a great rhythm to it, especially with the double-low-cost-Charged-Burst mechanic thrown in.

Say "Thank you" for me to whoever redesigned the Sharpshooter tree for 2.0.

_biddan_
04.09.2013 , 10:15 AM | #2
i too always wanted to use it,and now with the changes i can,it's incredible,i really love it.
Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Caesar Legacy
Legacy lvl 50

ezrafetch
04.09.2013 , 05:01 PM | #3
The Trick Shot change is great. As someone who played mostly Sharpshooter (I played Sab though for PvP when the match required), one of the more infuriating things was running out of my Trickshot proc due to channeling Speed Shot; I actually resorted to clipping Speed Shot to get the Trickshot in. That issue is totally alleviated now, which I love.

I still have to get used to the new Quick Aim though, since it requires 2 Charged Bursts instead of a crit on CB or SS. I'm too used to seeing the proc and instantly hitting Aimed Shot, which is a habit I need to get over to fully reduce the cast time.
GWARRR of SWTOR-Mechanics

Taerrik
04.10.2013 , 09:53 AM | #4
The aimed shot change really gets to me though, I am so used to channeling SS and then aimed shot for big burst, having to use two snipes is awkward since snipe was my least used skill
Pot5
High Council
Tae'vin~ Gunslinger

emidas
04.10.2013 , 12:20 PM | #5
I really love the changes as well. Here's what I've been using thus far (forgive my terminology, I play both Sniper and Slinger and routinely use both terminologies combined):

Flyby
Quickdraw
Trickshot
2-stack Aimed Shot
Speed Shot
Charged Burstx2

It actually flows pretty well together. Because Trickshot is where it is in my priority, a typical starting rotation looks like Flyby -> Speed Shot+Trickshot -> Charged Burstx2+Trickshot -> 2-stack AimedShot+Trickshot etc etc. The only time I ever clip Trickshot procs is when Quickdraw comes off cooldown and I just procced a Trickshot, which isn't very often. Quickdraw hits so hard that delaying its cd even for a second seems to be a dps loss.

I am still working out where in my priority Explosive Probe needs to go. I also seem to use Burst Volley more for the alacrity buff than to take SS off cd now.
Slingemi 55 Gunslinger | Emidas 50 Scoundrel | Crimp 50 Vanguard
Snipemi 55 Sniper | Sithyllis 50 Marauder |Vagemi 39 Powertech
The Chatos Academy - Officer

KryloKillian
04.10.2013 , 08:15 PM | #6
I kind of dislike it, because they also reduced trickshot damage, meaning it doesn't hit as hard as it used to as a balancing factor for making it so much easier to use. I never really had trouble working it in before.

The two charged shots to aimed thing is also kinda aggravating.

. . . Over all, though, I still love my gunslinger. I hadn't played her in a long time and god does it feel good to be back to it. I'll be sad when I finish out Makeb with her and end up moving on to other characters again.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good kick to the balls, kid.

ezrafetch
04.10.2013 , 09:48 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by emidas View Post
I really love the changes as well. Here's what I've been using thus far (forgive my terminology, I play both Sniper and Slinger and routinely use both terminologies combined):

It actually flows pretty well together. Because Trickshot is where it is in my priority, a typical starting rotation looks like Flyby -> Speed Shot+Trickshot -> Charged Burstx2+Trickshot -> 2-stack AimedShot+Trickshot etc etc. The only time I ever clip Trickshot procs is when Quickdraw comes off cooldown and I just procced a Trickshot, which isn't very often. Quickdraw hits so hard that delaying its cd even for a second seems to be a dps loss.

I am still working out where in my priority Explosive Probe needs to go. I also seem to use Burst Volley more for the alacrity buff than to take SS off cd now.
While I generally agree on the priority (see next paragraph for slight amendment), I've personally found this to be a better starter: Flyby >> Charged Burst >> Trickshot >> Charged Burst >> Sabotage Charge >> Aimed Shot >> Trickshot >> Speed Shot >> Trickshot, and that pretty much walks you into the priority flow. I prefer this one since when you chain Flyby into Speed Shot, you end up digging yourself into an energy hole channeling Speed Shot (energy spent at cast) straight from Flyby (energy spent at end of activation). You spend 37 energy straight off the bat (31 if your energy regen tick occurs in that span), so you end up crimping your energy at the start. I tried this for awhile and I always ended up having to go to my first Flurry faster than when I use the starting rotation I give above. While you end up spending 5 extra energy on your first Charged Burst, you get a tick (or two) of energy regen during activation, and it gets you into your double-stack Aimed Shot much faster, which does far more damage than Speed Shot (also, in general Aimed Shot is a higher priority than Speed Shot).

I also don't think you always HAVE to use Charged Burst sequentially. Charged Burst >> Trickshot >> Charged Burst >> Aimed Shot >> Trickshot, Charged Burst >> Trickshot >> Speed Shot >> Trickshot >> Charged Burst >> Aimed Shot >> Trickshot are examples of cases where you want to spread them out to maximize Trickshots. The Smoking Barrels proc lasts a dang long time so you can always spread out the Charged Bursts: since Charged Burst is much lower on your priority than Trickshot, if you leave a Smoking Barrels proc unspent it's not a loss. Basically what I'm trying to say is that you only do Charged Burst >> Charged Burst if you have Aimed Shot AND Speed Shot on CD. This doesn't happen very often, from what I've noticed.

Trickshot really is the glue that holds together this spec now as opposed to just seeming like it was extra damage tacked on. If you have the priority correct, it's seemed possible so far to sustain DPS without having to use Flurry of Bolts. I've mostly PvP'd so I don't have parses in a PvE setting, which I'll get to soon, but I'm pretty certain I've sustained max regen for at least a minute with the spec without Cool Head (usually the second Flyby seems to require a Flurry afterwards or to just tank my energy and pop Cool Head).
GWARRR of SWTOR-Mechanics

venomlash
04.11.2013 , 12:36 AM | #8
I've been playing my Marksmanship Sniper since 2.0 rolled out, and it seems pretty overpowered. I like how they revamped the mechanic, but they really should nerf the damage done by Trickshot/Followthrough, or it'll be just too powerful. Otherwise it's pretty neat.
Quote: Originally Posted by MichelleArcher View Post
Hey there, all! This thread has passed the dreaded 1,000 post limit, and is now in fire. Thanks for the fun, but we feel this discussion as run its course. We will not be restarting this thread.
Jarrant Gartin, Gunnery Commando, Spark of Hope, Begeren Colony

emidas
04.11.2013 , 08:39 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by ezrafetch View Post
While I generally agree on the priority (see next paragraph for slight amendment), I've personally found this to be a better starter: Flyby >> Charged Burst >> Trickshot >> Charged Burst >> Sabotage Charge >> Aimed Shot >> Trickshot >> Speed Shot >> Trickshot, and that pretty much walks you into the priority flow. I prefer this one since when you chain Flyby into Speed Shot, you end up digging yourself into an energy hole channeling Speed Shot (energy spent at cast) straight from Flyby (energy spent at end of activation). You spend 37 energy straight off the bat (31 if your energy regen tick occurs in that span), so you end up crimping your energy at the start. I tried this for awhile and I always ended up having to go to my first Flurry faster than when I use the starting rotation I give above. While you end up spending 5 extra energy on your first Charged Burst, you get a tick (or two) of energy regen during activation, and it gets you into your double-stack Aimed Shot much faster, which does far more damage than Speed Shot (also, in general Aimed Shot is a higher priority than Speed Shot).

I also don't think you always HAVE to use Charged Burst sequentially. Charged Burst >> Trickshot >> Charged Burst >> Aimed Shot >> Trickshot, Charged Burst >> Trickshot >> Speed Shot >> Trickshot >> Charged Burst >> Aimed Shot >> Trickshot are examples of cases where you want to spread them out to maximize Trickshots. The Smoking Barrels proc lasts a dang long time so you can always spread out the Charged Bursts: since Charged Burst is much lower on your priority than Trickshot, if you leave a Smoking Barrels proc unspent it's not a loss. Basically what I'm trying to say is that you only do Charged Burst >> Charged Burst if you have Aimed Shot AND Speed Shot on CD. This doesn't happen very often, from what I've noticed.

Trickshot really is the glue that holds together this spec now as opposed to just seeming like it was extra damage tacked on. If you have the priority correct, it's seemed possible so far to sustain DPS without having to use Flurry of Bolts. I've mostly PvP'd so I don't have parses in a PvE setting, which I'll get to soon, but I'm pretty certain I've sustained max regen for at least a minute with the spec without Cool Head (usually the second Flyby seems to require a Flurry afterwards or to just tank my energy and pop Cool Head).
I understand where you're coming from. I'll have to give that a try. I just want to kind of throw out my logic for what I do. I have the +10 energy talent (because I needed to get to Sabateur's Utility Belt for the 3s cd on Thermal Grenade), so the 31-37 energy off the bat doesn't make me dip. Additionally, I usually pop Burst Volley right after that speed shot -> trickshot, which gives my energy regen a big boost and allows me to really go wild from there. I think in a mobile beginning of a fight, that CB -> TS would be very useful due to the insta-CB. My main reasoning for (almost) never using CB just once is that while using the two CB's separately does still give you 2 stacks of Charged Aim, you lose the free Trickshot proc from consecutive CB's - so your example would actually have less Trickshots than you listed. I do agree (as stated previously) that 2 stack Aimed Shot takes precedence over Speed Shot, but without the 2 stacks of Charged Aim SS would take priority. I will have to test this on dummies to see what difference these two openings would have.

I actually seem to get AS and SS on cd at the same time quite often. They usually (with the exception of a TS after both) follow each other quite routinely. Maybe that is why I am more comfortable using 2x CB instead of weaving CB's?

I also agree. Flurry is very rarely used now, and there are seriously prolonged periods where it doesn't get touched. Cool Head is more of an "I don't know *** I did but I fell low?" button now as opposed to basically being an "on cooldown" ability for me. Overall, I love the new MM changes.
Slingemi 55 Gunslinger | Emidas 50 Scoundrel | Crimp 50 Vanguard
Snipemi 55 Sniper | Sithyllis 50 Marauder |Vagemi 39 Powertech
The Chatos Academy - Officer

LarryRow
04.12.2013 , 08:51 AM | #10
I agree with everything from ezrafetch's post. That initial rotation is what I came up with. I would tack on Burst Volley >> Speed Shot >> Trick Shot

I would also throw a Flourish shot in there somewhere near the beginning for Armor Pen, depending on group comp.

Energy management is hilarious now. I think I've used Cool Head once since 2.0 hit. And it was because I was spamming AoEs on a trash pack. I've gone entire boss fights without using it and maybe only 1 or 2 uses of Flurry.
A classic sig that should not be lost:
Quote:
Stunned , pew pew hack slash , stunned , running backward circles, stunned cannot move, pew pew, break stun, 30 second snare, wha?!?!!? stunned, knockdown, ...less stun more pew pew and hacknslash please.