Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I was misled by Community Manager, Eric Musco

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
I was misled by Community Manager, Eric Musco
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

bbare
04.09.2013 , 01:07 AM | #1
Quote:
I was going to shoot in and answer _DarkTemplar_'s question but you folks went ahead and did that already. I am going to just quote bbare on this one as they explained it quite nicely

Good work everyone, carry on!

-eric
Quote: Originally Posted by bbare
Quote:
People who get the early access will be able to lvl to 55 on the 9th. People who didn't will have to wait until the 14th. I'll explain it as best as I can:

There are two "updates" that are associated with 2.0

1. The game update

2. The expansion pack.

The game update will include the new skills, skill trees, stat formulas, crafting tier, etc...

The expansion pack includes the additional 5 levels and access to Makeb. By De Facto, it will also include the new operations, HM FP's, and dailies, because those require a higher level.

If you pre-ordered on time, you will have access to both the game update and the expansion pack on the 9th. If you pre-ordered "late" you will have access to the game update on the 9th, but you won't have access to the expansion till the 14th. If you aren't even purchasing the expansion, you will have access to the game update on the 9th, but not the expansion pack until you buy it.
In my post, I explained that crafting will be part of the game update and not the expansion. Meaning, the new crafting tier will be available for those who don't have the early access.

However, this is not the case. I don't know if you guys changed it last minute, but even so, if you are going to quote my exact words as a dev response, please provide an update in that thread with the changes, so I don't look like a jerk passing on false information. I searched the forums and found no recent dev response to that issue, even as dozens of people were asking if crafting was available for those without early access.

I don't care as much that I won't have early access for crafting. I'm quite upset that a developer would use my own words as a dev response and then not provide an update saying that changes were made and my post was obsolete.
The Vanity Legacy

OwenBrooks
04.09.2013 , 01:14 AM | #2
I heard someone say you need to visit the trainer to progress past 400, don't know if that helps

You have to buy the 450 upgrade from the vendor

bbare
04.09.2013 , 01:25 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by OwenBrooks View Post
I heard someone say you need to visit the trainer to progress past 400, don't know if that helps

You have to visit the crew skill trainer, but it is unbuyable if you don't have the early access.
The Vanity Legacy

Psychatog
04.09.2013 , 01:26 AM | #4
You cant click the 450 upgrade without the xpack.... So its essentially the same.

Ozdogg
04.09.2013 , 02:15 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Psychatog View Post
You cant click the 450 upgrade without the xpack.... So its essentially the same.
No not really. I bought the expansion but don't have Early Access and I can not purchase the ability to advance my crew skills. I believe this is what the OP is referring to, the mistaken confirmation that the advancement of crew skills was tied to Early Access, not just the expansion.

Mundek_Goldfarm
04.09.2013 , 06:42 AM | #6
bought expansion today, soon after 8am Central European TIme just after game patched itself.
my swtor account says that i purchased expansion, but when i logged in and visit character selection menu it says
"you are a subscriber. click here to buy....." which means game doesnt see expansion.
in game i have galactic upgraded, but when i try to travel to Makeb it says i need to purchase expansion. each of crew skills can be upgradeable, but there is no buy button so i cant do nothing more than <=400. exp is counting till the end of bar but cant lvl myself up.

conclusion is that either something is bugged or everything is locked till april 14th. its sad because in my opinion new areas should be blocked instead of lvling up either avatars and crew skills.
EA should be more paranoid and block whole content preventing us to see/use items from expansion and force us to buy them from market.

now i need to wait 5 days just because i didnt want to support EA by paying for expansion weeks/months ago and i bought it just before the dead-line.

GREEED UBER ALLES

bbare
04.09.2013 , 07:40 AM | #7
Bump. Could we get a dev response?
The Vanity Legacy

asbalana
04.09.2013 , 08:07 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by bbare View Post
You have to visit the crew skill trainer, but it is unbuyable if you don't have the early access.
Well that sucks. Not that waiting until the 14th makes much difference in the grand scheme of things.

I am not sure why it was felt necessary to put in extra coding to lock people out for five days - coding that will be useless after that time, but what is done is done.

I do feel for the OP, but the misinformation posted by the cm in making the quote was probably such because of a last minute change or internal miscommunication and not purposeful. One thing that every player learns quickly is to not believe anything (even official or semiofficial pronouncements) until they happen.

Blackardin
04.09.2013 , 08:23 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by OwenBrooks View Post

Nope. Tried it. will not let you click it. No message so I'm thinking it was unintended.
May the Schwartz be with you....

EricMusco
04.09.2013 , 09:24 AM | #10 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Quote: Originally Posted by bbare View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by bbare

In my post, I explained that crafting will be part of the game update and not the expansion. Meaning, the new crafting tier will be available for those who don't have the early access.

However, this is not the case. I don't know if you guys changed it last minute, but even so, if you are going to quote my exact words as a dev response, please provide an update in that thread with the changes, so I don't look like a jerk passing on false information. I searched the forums and found no recent dev response to that issue, even as dozens of people were asking if crafting was available for those without early access.

I don't care as much that I won't have early access for crafting. I'm quite upset that a developer would use my own words as a dev response and then not provide an update saying that changes were made and my post was obsolete.
Hey bbare,

I want to apologize for any confusion I caused in my response, I want to explain what I meant in quoting you and then point to the answer to your specific question. _DarkTemplar_'s question was specifically about access to being able to level beyond level 50 as a part of early access/launch. When I quoted you and said you were correct, my goal was to point specifically to your answer to that question.

I never meant to imply that every detail you had laid out was correct, I was just merely pointing to the answer to that question. In retrospect, I was wrong to point to your answer if the complete context of the post wasn't correct. I should have at the least pointed out that error before quoting you and I do apologize again for that. My goal is never to confuse or misinform players on the content we are releasing or their access to it.

We have received multiple questions about this since early access began this morning and Amber recently posted a clarification on it here.

In the future I will be more careful about things like this and we will work to have details like this clarified before the update is released.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]