Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

lol bolster

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

desertwolph
04.10.2013 , 05:16 PM | #661
I like this new bolster system. I can put zero effort into my characters and be a face stomper still. Before, I had to actually get gear to be competitive. I don't even need to do any pve now, I can just level up all my toons in WZs.

Lazy pvp ftw
<This space intentionally left blank >

Athan-Won
04.10.2013 , 06:26 PM | #662
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey everyone!
[...]
Taken over the course of an entire set, the result is that a fully Bolstered character tends to have gained some small values in each stat and rating over actual items. To fix this we need to massage some numbers to make diminishing returns affect Bolster stat gains more drastically.
[...]
-eric
"Small values"?
Also what is the point of testing something on PTS if you are going to release it with a bug afterwards?

Darth_Vampirius
04.10.2013 , 07:59 PM | #663
Quote: Originally Posted by skotish View Post
Agreed its fooked up
... then go play an FPS or a fighting game. Those are the kinds of games where only skill matters... Sorry, but this is an RPG, where characters respond to an action queue, nothing is instant, and you have stats. Stats and gear are a central part of gameplay around here, and unless they take out all the RPG elements and make the game a straight up action game, gear will always supersede skill. Always.
Quote:
//We have seen the argument of Skill vs. Gear throughout the existence of MMO PvP and we are of the opinion both are good for an RPG, falling on one side of the scale (gear has no purpose in PvP vs. gear is the only thing that matters in PvP) is not desirable.//

Jherad
04.10.2013 , 08:29 PM | #664
So one fun side effect of the bolstering.

All those people who thought the only reason they lost in PvP was because of the gear imbalance are now queuing in droves.

Turns out they still suck. Hard. Who would have thought it?
Zachar´ah - Commando / Chasso, Aargh - Merc
The Twinkletoes Legacy
Zachariah's Merc/Mando PvP Guides
2.4 is the PvP Patch! ... J/K, Removing RWZs trolololol

Isislol
04.10.2013 , 08:31 PM | #665
All I see here is tons of weekend warriors who couldn't compete with hardcore pvp'ers before 2.0 supporting the new retarded bolster because they can finally beat someone using basic attacks. You don't need gear or skill anymore, you just press 1 2 3 4 and something will die. We get it, if we were as bad as you are we would want bolster too.

For many people gear progression was an important part of pvp, take it away and they will just stop playing. Why bother running the same 5 WZs for hours everyday if we can just go naked or in greens and have almost the same stats as min/max player?
Gear was never a problem in this game if you actually pvp. It would come fast. The only people who moaned about gear gap were players with 100 alts or someone who only did pvp daily for comms.

NowAndEternally
04.10.2013 , 08:41 PM | #666
For any IT developers... On the Bolster Algorithm

Sure you can write an algorithm to walk a bill of materials (a characters gear), and make up rules on treating different slots, and different stats in different ways BUT why not just go off the grossed up summed stats for a character (Exp, Primary, End)? Woundn't that be enough?

The software code to determine and calculate the relvent stats on every slot (or say which slots don't count), on every piece of gear that ftts the slot, including new stuff coming is a really (overly) complex ... and expensive developement strategy.

To make it robust that is a lot of unit and regression tests to write...
So we have the bloster bug.. but are all of the calculations correct? ...
How would you know?
Are they maintainable?

What about adding new gear to the game... that just got harder (either you write bolster to incorporate ALL future gear or you gotta maintain some constants when you add eaach piece of new gear)

If the code is sound object oriented in style ... and polymorphic methods are used .... you will still have to maintain exception cases in the code base.. making it more difficult to maintian in a place in the code base (gear) that is in ongoing extension and enhancement. I think this is really dumb... time to market, defects, testing load, maintainabiliy... etc etc are all impacted by this unneccssary complexity.

AND I am suspicious about the code quality . e.g Why are relics broken and other slots not?

Bottom Lime: Simpler is better.

Darth_Vampirius
04.10.2013 , 08:54 PM | #667
Quote: Originally Posted by Isislol View Post
All I see here is tons of weekend warriors who couldn't compete with hardcore pvp'ers before 2.0 supporting the new retarded bolster because they can finally beat someone using basic attacks. You don't need gear or skill anymore, you just press 1 2 3 4 and something will die. We get it, if we were as bad as you are we would want bolster too.

For many people gear progression was an important part of pvp, take it away and they will just stop playing. Why bother running the same 5 WZs for hours everyday if we can just go naked or in greens and have almost the same stats as min/max player?
Gear was never a problem in this game if you actually pvp. It would come fast. The only people who moaned about gear gap were players with 100 alts or someone who only did pvp daily for comms.
Tine to take up carpentry my friend.. uoy just hit the nail on the head. I played my Commando naked last night... 250k++ damage spamming his basic attack. It wasn't even 1, 2, 3, 4... it was... 1, 1, 1 1, 1, target dead.
Quote:
//We have seen the argument of Skill vs. Gear throughout the existence of MMO PvP and we are of the opinion both are good for an RPG, falling on one side of the scale (gear has no purpose in PvP vs. gear is the only thing that matters in PvP) is not desirable.//

BlackSpin
04.10.2013 , 09:18 PM | #668
Actually - I just wanted to drop in... I don't care what anyone else says, I'm having a ton of fun playing my alts that haven't had a chance to gear up yet for warzones. Bolster can stay the way it is, and everyone play nekkid for all I care.

dcgregorya
04.10.2013 , 09:23 PM | #669
Quote: Originally Posted by Isislol View Post

I read this and all I see is a bitter dude crying that he haz no advantage no mohr.

BlackSpin
04.10.2013 , 09:25 PM | #670
I agree - If it were up to me (and lets just say, I'm not a weekend warrior)... the only place gear should matter is in ranked warzones. Like I said, I'm having fun with everything being on par in the under 55 warzones.

Quote: Originally Posted by dcgregorya View Post
I read this and all I see is a bitter dude crying that he haz no advantage no mohr.