Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

lol bolster

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Draekos
05.08.2013 , 09:47 PM | #1591
Quote: Originally Posted by BoushhDC View Post
**On that last point: you can start stacking regular War Zone Comms from the very beginning until you reach the storage cap. When/if you hit that storage cap, you can choose to buy PvP stims and adrenals which you can either use for yourself, or if you find yourself credit-strapped, they sell extremely well to other players. I venture to say that if you become a broker for those items, you will have NO credit issues when you hit cap so you can purchase all your skills and then some. At Valor Rank 40 -- which you can hit as early as level 40 -- you can then start stacking Ranked War Zone Comms. I personally have a level 48 scoundrel that is completely capped on both types of Comms with several stacks of stims & adrenals as well as stacks I have sent to alts with which I PvP. Basically, I'm flush... several times over.**
Just curious, but do you totally skip your class story or what? The 2 most recent characters I levelled up before RotHC did only class story quests after Hoth and PvP to level. Neither finished their class story or hit max comms before hitting 50. They had enough for weapons and a couple pieces of WH/EWH, but neither was able to cap ranked comms before level 50. In both cases I had maxed WZ comms when I hit 40/40.
Currently playing Nhatt Sixpack on the Bastion.

BoushhDC
05.08.2013 , 10:02 PM | #1592
Quote: Originally Posted by Draekos View Post
Just curious, but do you totally skip your class story or what? The 2 most recent characters I levelled up before RotHC did only class story quests after Hoth and PvP to level. Neither finished their class story or hit max comms before hitting 50. They had enough for weapons and a couple pieces of WH/EWH, but neither was able to cap ranked comms before level 50. In both cases I had maxed WZ comms when I hit 40/40.
No, I've done my class story, but haven't finished it yet on the level 48 scoundrel. I'm pretty much on par with my level so far and can send 5 of my companions out on crew skills missions, if that's any indication. I did shelve it and another character during double XP weekends, though. Bear in mind, however, that you additionally have until lvl 55 now before you can buy the PvP gear, so you have even more time. On an earlier character, I had maxed Ranked and regular WZ comms just under the wire before 50 (when that was cap) because I hadn't thought about stacking the ranked until almost mid 40s. I planned a bit better on the scoundrel and started stacking ranked right after hitting 40.

*EDIT* Oh, and I forgot, from about 45 on, I quit taking the PvP dailies because they granted XP and by my calculations would get me to level cap before Comms storage cap.
All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved. --Sun Tzu

Draekos
05.08.2013 , 10:46 PM | #1593
It should definately be better now, it's really only practical for alts though. First time through I would expect most players to want to sample more of the game.

chriscruiz
05.08.2013 , 11:31 PM | #1594
Half naked Guardians running around doing 1,031,475 dmg while a real DPS with half conq and half partisan fully augmented is only pulling 500,000 to 700,000 dmg? Thats just frustrating to deal with on a regular basis.

Darkshadz
05.08.2013 , 11:53 PM | #1595
Quote: Originally Posted by BoushhDC View Post
That's an interesting narrative, and one I would have previously been inclined to believe. Maybe that's why I was surprised and dismayed at what BW ACTUALLY said:

Okay, so lolbolster is upon us (and still with us), as flawed as it is, because players that either vendored their free pvp gear or refused to wear it, gave themselves a "harsh" pvp experience thereby causing a drop-off in WZ participation. Nope, ya can't make this stuff up. That's the official reason.

Not the only bug we've had to endure. So far the "Greatest Hits" have additionally included:

The Naked Bolster Bug
The Relic Slots Bug
The Empty Modification Slots Bug
The Arkanian/Underworld being superior to Conqueror Bug
and "many" other Unspecified bugs they have worked on behind the scenes with bolster.

Nope, not imagining that last part either:

So, what were you saying?

Hmm. I'm going to have to say that the chasm between "idea" and "implementation" (i.e. the reality of the situation) is still too vast for that to be close to being true. I am happy, however, to see positive posts such as this "survival guide," as I call it, to help cope with what we've gotten thrust upon us (bugs and all) regardless of bolster's dubious origins.

http://bit.ly/13ucq4n

It's a good read. You might like it.
Like I said, the bolster system is good but the implementation went poorly. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. Yes they should've fix the annoying bugs before implementing it but now it's too late. Eric clearly didn't explain all the reasons why they implemented the bolster in his post here. I do know that they also wanted pvp to be more skill based than geared but I'm too lazy to find the post where they said that. I see that you have a problem with the implementation of the system, not with the bolster itself.

The link you provided is already in my sig since yesterday :P Everyone should read this!

Quote:
Half naked Guardians running around doing 1,031,475 dmg while a real DPS with half conq and half partisan fully augmented is only pulling 500,000 to 700,000 dmg? Thats just frustrating to deal with on a regular basis.
Screenshots please

BoushhDC
05.09.2013 , 12:46 AM | #1596
Quote: Originally Posted by Draekos View Post
It should definately be better now, it's really only practical for alts though. First time through I would expect most players to want to sample more of the game.
I definitely agree. (Also note an Edit I added at the end, for what it's worth). I'd PvP'd in beta and had decided to wait a while to PvP in live because there was just one bracket in the beginning so it mixed level 10s with fully PvP geared level 50s. Oh what a special kind of Hell that was!

With my main, I was a guild officer, helping lowbies, experiencing every molecule of content in the game until I started gravitating back to my main calling: pvp. (Mostly PvP'd in multiple other MMOs including personal pvp server firsts in Rift, was in several main PvP guilds in Aion in addition to spending the majority of my hours "rifting" in that game). It was a matter of time, really as I had already experienced most of the pve game. hehe. Although I quite relate to a humorous number of the items in the post I'm about to link, #37 is particularly germane to our discussion.

http://bit.ly/10cCu3A

I also think you'll appreciate the humor of it all.
All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved. --Sun Tzu

Draekos
05.09.2013 , 12:50 AM | #1597
I enjoyed that thread.

Paitryn
05.09.2013 , 02:02 AM | #1598
Quote: Originally Posted by picee View Post
i find it hilarious u halted the patch of 2.0.1 because of a "game breaking bug" which was the white ness of the global cooldown not working yet released bolster like it is ....
one was a simple fix that just needed a small delay the other is a major fix that was tied to an expansion that required a deadline. I'm sure you and the others that reported the issue on the PTS helped get the ball rolling a lot sooner than it would have been ignored by the players. instead of fixing in may this coming tuesday, could be june or july instead.

BoushhDC
05.09.2013 , 02:12 AM | #1599
Quote: Originally Posted by Darkshadz View Post
Like I said, the bolster system is good but the implementation went poorly. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. Yes they should've fix the annoying bugs before implementing it but now it's too late. Eric clearly didn't explain all the reasons why they implemented the bolster in his post here. I do know that they also wanted pvp to be more skill based than geared but I'm too lazy to find the post where they said that. I see that you have a problem with the implementation of the system, not with the bolster itself.

The link you provided is already in my sig since yesterday :P Everyone should read this!
I appreciate your post very much. I also recall that the devs posted that they didn't want to abandon the gear progression entirely, but rather strike a balance. I'll try to look up that post tomorrow. It sticks in my mind because, although I have posted frequently on this subject, you will find that in some of my earliest posts after the x-pac, I wondered why, if they wanted to favor skill over gear, they didn't implement something akin to GW2's SPvP model, which I recounted in detail. The answer to that was the dev's subsequent post I mention, not in answer to me specifically, of course.

mrekxxx
05.09.2013 , 02:26 AM | #1600
Quote: Originally Posted by chriscruiz View Post
skilled one