Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

lol bolster

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Spincrossover
04.19.2013 , 10:28 AM | #1271
Quote: Originally Posted by pqgarvis View Post
PvP is fine, are there bugs that need to be worked through? Of course there is, however none of them are nuclear.
We have to agree in disagree. I really don't share your opinion.

I do empathise with you by the way; I have a one year old daughter that cries until she gets what she wants(since she lacks communication skills), the trick is regulating my daughter's expectations while we lack the full ability to communicate with each other.
Let me give a piece of advice, coming from a father with a bit more experience than you: Even way after she apprehends near to perfect communication skills the crying won't stop. Do yourself a favor and get used to it.
Bruno'Wan Shadow Tank/DPS | Chaimite Commando DPS/Healer
Kemo-Sabe Gunslinger | Tojal Sentinel | Endireita Scoundrel Sawbones
@ ToFN / Infinito Guild

Omophorus
04.19.2013 , 10:30 AM | #1272
Quote: Originally Posted by Givemedanger View Post
Remove the bolster from lvl 55 pvp now. You made the gear almost obsolete. Why play and win now? We grind for something that is worth almost nothing.
This question is silly.

Why play PVP and try to win? To win at a competitive activity.

Look at the vast majority of other online non-MMO PVP. There's almost never any tangible benefit (besides leveling up and unlocking different equipment in some modern FPS games, which isn't supposed to convey a significant advantage but frequently does due to bad game design). The motivation is to win. To crush your enemies. To know that you're better than them, and be able to humiliate them with your superior abilities.

There might be brackets, ranking, stat-tracking, etc. so that you can see for yourself, and others can see for themselves, just how unstoppably ****** you are. You almost never get anything in-game to further extend that advantage (except as mentioned above), just vanity unlocks so that you can flaunt your superiority.

And really, that's all that should be needed to encourage a competitive gamer to keep competing.
Srs'bsns, GM of <Proper Villains> of The Ebon Hawk
5/5 Nightmare Power DF & DP
"This is why we don't bring Assassin tanks"

L-RANDLE
04.19.2013 , 10:39 AM | #1273
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Expertise...not Bolster. Bolster works fine 10-54. Expertise is the elephant in the room though. NOTHING they have done has made it better...nothing...it's only gotten worse and more **edit**ed up!

There is really not much of a difference between "EXP" and "Bolster" from a functionality standpoint. The Devs are trying to use two functions to control PvP, when really they only need one, and it actually should be EXP... The problem is having EXP on gear, and how Bolster affects it. They should nerf a full PvP set to around 200EXP and add that to the current low level PvE geared-bolster. Then all would be fine across the board...

I started another thread proposing this change.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=627519
PvP Gear Viability? Read this first.
Tired of being broke? Stop being Felica and read this.
I'm not trying to be Rambo..... I'm trying to be Ray Tango

Kirtastropohe
04.19.2013 , 10:44 AM | #1274
Quote: Originally Posted by LenrocNewDawn View Post
So many tears . Behold the tragedy, hard-core PvPers lost their crutch, the blasphemy!

Oh grow old already! There are some bugs in the bolster system, how shocking!!! BW get your **** together and correct those. Make sure that people that only PvP are not getting punished for that and you are done.

TLDR; There are some bugs in the bolster system that need to be eradicated (complex game, lots of variables no surprises here). We don't care to hear your mourning aver obsolete gear.
The complaining is about a disgustingly poor implementation of a radical change. It's not just about the obsolete gear. It's about a system that gave no benefit or consideration to those that did spend the time to grind gear out, and in fact, punished those who did. it's about having such a buggy and ill-conceived system where PVE gear now trumps PVP gear and here we are nearly two weeks later and the only fixes we have had were basically to remove EXP...further screwing us. And in the case of the +41 exp crystal, many people got that from cartel packs that they paid real money for.

It's about a game state where you currently have to be some sort of mad-scientist/genious to know which combination of PVE gear and empty slots to use in order to have a chance in the WZ. how many people know what to do? I haven't played this game in a week cause I've got better things to do than try to figure out this mess.

The system was not ready to be rolled out, and even if it were, the very concept of it is insulting and an indication of all that's wrong in the world...having to cater to those who haven't achieved anything (in this case, in terms of obtaining pvp gear). They may be committed to bolster, but it WON'T bolster their bottom line. It will only hurt it as players are going to move on.

Spincrossover
04.19.2013 , 10:51 AM | #1275
Quote: Originally Posted by Omophorus View Post
This question is silly.

Look at the vast majority of other online non-MMO PVP. There's almost never any tangible benefit (besides leveling up and unlocking different equipment in some modern FPS games, which isn't supposed to convey a significant advantage but frequently does due to bad game design). The motivation is to win. To crush your enemies. To know that you're better than them, and be able to humiliate them with your superior abilities.

There might be brackets, ranking, stat-tracking, etc. so that you can see for yourself, and others can see for themselves, just how unstoppably ****** you are. You almost never get anything in-game to further extend that advantage (except as mentioned above), just vanity unlocks so that you can flaunt your superiority.

And really, that's all that should be needed to encourage a competitive gamer to keep competing.
Do you know a game called World of Warcraft?
I advise you to see: these players. I'll give you a tip: PVP resilience==Expertise.

Players must retain some sort of reward other than just smash the opponent. If that was so there would be no gear progression what so ever. No boss would drop loot, after all you only needed to kill the boss as a reward.

PVE players get loot to be more efficient in their specific role (do more DPS, take less damage, do more HPS)
PVP players should have a way to be more efficient in their role in PVP also.
Bruno'Wan Shadow Tank/DPS | Chaimite Commando DPS/Healer
Kemo-Sabe Gunslinger | Tojal Sentinel | Endireita Scoundrel Sawbones
@ ToFN / Infinito Guild

L-RANDLE
04.19.2013 , 10:51 AM | #1276
Quote: Originally Posted by Omophorus View Post
This question is silly.

But you are ignoring the fact that those other PvP games have similar balance and exploit issues.

Look at the latest version of Madden and tell me the stats are similar for a team like the Patriots versus a team like the Dolphins... How many serious Madden players play with the Dolphins?

FPS? "No tangible benefit"? Sorry bro, but that is like telling me a SCAR or a M1 is just as good of a rifle as a M4A1 with ACOG (and you have to wait til level x). It's just not true... All PvP games have built in advantages you either choose to use them or you don't. There was nothing really wrong with this game from a competitive standpoint besides some class balance and resolve issues. People either did what they needed to do to be competitive or they didn't and QQ about it so much that we have the lovely system we have today.

The only thing this mess has shown is that the bads will still be bads, regardless of gear... So hopefully they will somewhat revert back to the way it was because this current system is broke and unbalanced because of the exploits present.....
PvP Gear Viability? Read this first.
Tired of being broke? Stop being Felica and read this.
I'm not trying to be Rambo..... I'm trying to be Ray Tango

fungihoujo
04.19.2013 , 11:02 AM | #1277
Quote: Originally Posted by Scotland View Post
You can however buy the rwz comms and spend them on conq gear, crazy logic is crazy

You still end up with only 2-4 pieces of gear... not 3/4.

fungihoujo
04.19.2013 , 11:07 AM | #1278
Quote: Originally Posted by Devlonir View Post
Ah yes.. because liking the fact that I can't just randomly pwn newbs who didnt pick up Recruit gear yet makes me a biodrone.

Gotta love people putting that 'title' on anyone who doesn't agree with them without question.

Bolster > Recruit gear 'solution', that is my entire point. It's not perfect, but it's better.
It's better huh? <looks back at the past 100 pages> Ya, I don't think anyone agrees with you there.

You know what would have happened if they put in recruit gear instead of bolster, where the recruit gear was almost as good as Partisan, and there was no weird naked, half mod, pve better gear stuff? Two weeks ago some people would have whined for a few pages about how recruit gear is too good/bad, and nobody else would have cared or noticed.

But no, pissing off everyone, and putting in a system that even CASUALS are bewildered by and pissed off at- definitely the smarter choice amirite?

skotish
04.19.2013 , 11:17 AM | #1279
I perform the same now as I did at 50 (since all players are in the same game, skill stays the same, even with changes to the game) and I did state that constructive criticism (feedback) should be used. PvP is fine, are there bugs that need to be worked through? Of course there is, however none of them are nuclear.

I do empathise with you by the way; I have a one year old daughter that cries until she gets what she wants(since she lacks communication skills), the trick is regulating my daughter's expectations while we lack the full ability to communicate with each other.
I agree with the person you quoted and tbh it's you that's coming across as a right patronising **** grow up like your child
Quote: Originally Posted by Frankenseuss View Post
Palpetine: "... Not from a TOR dev."
TOFN Farquar'hoffe/Val'korsin

Burtlebe
04.19.2013 , 11:24 AM | #1280
Quote: Originally Posted by Arutar View Post
Well, tbh, I have only about 7 years of previous MMORPG experience (I am curious, which MMOs were you playing back in '94?).

So yes, bugs are to be expected, but not the blind release of a completly untested version of a mechanic which messes which the entire PVP content of a game. This is what many PVPers are rightly upset about.

As said before, we are not talking about a few - to be expected - bugs, which happen only under some circumstances. When 2.0 went live, NOTHING, with the new bolster was working properly at all:

No gear was often better than having gear (now partial empty gear is still often better than full gear) . Old PVP gear was completely crap in PVP (now this is only true for some itema IF you not remove the pvp crystal manually). PVE gear was boosted more than intended (this still is an issue).

Regardless from the fact that at least some of this was known from the PTS, you would not even have needed a PTS to see all this before launch. Just going in a WZ once and toy with your gear for 2 minutes would have shown you that the bolster is messed up.

So, is the sky falling? No.

Things are slowly getting better which each Patch. Maybe in a couple of weeks, everything will be fine and even better than before. Until then, however, I think valid criticism should not be dismissed as "naive" or QQ out of hand.
I agree criticism is needed and warranted but read some of these post, folks act like the end of pvp is upon us and that nothing short of a complete reversal will fix it.

I started out playing BBS games then Genie, The first true graphical MMO of sorts was The Realm. Since then I have played about 30 different titles, all of which had massive issues either in pvp or pve.

Several mainly SWG and EQ2 had issues so bad they reworked the whole systems multi times and due to Sony's poor response I left.

Age of Conan was probably the worse experience I have had in a mmo. Warhammer was probably the most fun I had in a largely pvp focused game since DAoC or SWG but they had issues with only being 2 factions and honestly dropped the ball on fixing it early enough cause folks to leave.

I can tolerate a lot from a gaming company If I (note I said I) feel that they are truly trying to fix an issue. So far even with a lot of the negative experiences I have had with MMOs, nothing Bioware has done so far has caused me to feel the least Like jumping ship.
Burtimus'prime Vanguard Tank
Guild Leader Army of the Republic / The Army of Darkness / The Unmentionables
The Shadowlands Server