Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

lol bolster

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Kovaos's Avatar


Kovaos
04.18.2013 , 07:21 AM | #1171
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
I hope that alleviates some of your concerns with the issue of PvE v PvP gearing and thank you all for your feedback.
There's not a lot of hope left in the bolster system. I think it was good in theory, but impossible to implement correctly. There comes a time we count our losses, admit our failure, and correct the mistake. Give PvPers back their pedal stools. Let us feel accomplishment for the time we put in.
"my friend said he got a pack of level 50 armor and all i got was level 47 pants."

islander's Avatar


islander
04.18.2013 , 07:43 AM | #1172
Quote: Originally Posted by Yamahara View Post
You need to work on ridding bolster from 55. When another player has higher stats in his pve gear with the enhancement exploit than I do in my conq/partisan mix it's just ridiculous! Bolster for pre-55 is fine,you need something to get you there. But it has no place in 55. Also an EASY fix is to make partisan gear available at 52 or 53;With this people will be ready for 55 pvp when they reach that level.
Stop making sense!
Gėllies Erimosi, Imperial Deadeye
<Hex> Prophecy of the Five

islander's Avatar


islander
04.18.2013 , 07:47 AM | #1173
Quote: Originally Posted by Kilora View Post
Ontop of that -- PvE gear is meant to be below PvP gear at all points. Once they fix this on Tuesday, it will be no different than giving out a free set of recruit gear -- without actually having the gear.
and you know what? If 172 PvE gear sets result in people only bolstering to 1300-1400 in warzones, and that's their ceiling - I'm perfectly good with this. Scale back 169-166-163 down to an eventual minimum of 1000 (think recruit set) and then no 'full time' pvper should have a problem with this.
Gėllies Erimosi, Imperial Deadeye
<Hex> Prophecy of the Five

MusicRider's Avatar


MusicRider
04.18.2013 , 07:50 AM | #1174
Bolster is fine as long as pve gear and naked are a bit worse than partisan. Brings more people and does not tie someone in one aspect of the game. If only now pvp gear was bolstered also to be competitive for pve content but likewise be a bit worse than arkanian it would be really nice for the other side of the table.

Kilora's Avatar


Kilora
04.18.2013 , 07:52 AM | #1175
Quote: Originally Posted by islander View Post
and you know what? If 172 PvE gear sets result in people only bolstering to 1300-1400 in warzones, and that's their ceiling - I'm perfectly good with this. Scale back 169-166-163 down to an eventual minimum of 1000 (think recruit set) and then no 'full time' pvper should have a problem with this.
I have absolutely no idea what the planned numbers are -- but the intention is that even in the "best" PvE gear, we will be at the same level as someone with the worst PvE gear.

And, anyone in PvE gear should be at a "disadvantage" to anyone in PvP gear. I agree with reducing the gear gap between top-end PvP and PvP, but there should still be a gap. Before this -- at lvl 50, if you went in with no PvP gear, you stood absolutely no chance no matter what skill level you were. Hence giving out free PvP recruit gear.

I've seen a lot of PvPers who only take issue with the bolster problems that BW has admitted to as bugs, and are working on fixing. However, there are a lot of people who don't care to listen when told things are bugged -- either that, or they are upset that PvP gear no longer means you're able to lolsmash everything else.

Kilora's Avatar


Kilora
04.18.2013 , 07:58 AM | #1176
Quote: Originally Posted by MusicRider View Post
Bolster is fine as long as pve gear and naked are a bit worse than partisan. Brings more people and does not tie someone in one aspect of the game. If only now pvp gear was bolstered also to be competitive for pve content but likewise be a bit worse than arkanian it would be really nice for the other side of the table.
I'm not sure how it is now -- but isn't the partisan PvP gear better (or at least, on par) with the gear from the Basic Comm vendor? It seems that should be how it works -- as a note, though, the "expertise" added to 55 gear isn't counted as part of the stat pool anymore. Hopefully that helps.

As a PvE-focused player who only casually plays PvP, I have no wish to be able to do ranked with PvE gear. I'd just like to be able to stand some kind of chance (when matched up against players of similar skill) to have fun, and maybe work on the PvP gear. I also think the PvP gear should be at least acceptible to do 55 HM FPs (assuming you're in almost full partisan [that's the lowest PvP tier, right?]). The second tier of PvP gear should be acceptible entry into SM OPs.

There's a balance here somewhere, and I think they're getting closer and closer, but unfortunately a few nasty bugs popped up when they fixed a game-breaking bug.

Yeochins's Avatar


Yeochins
04.18.2013 , 07:58 AM | #1177
Quote: Originally Posted by MusicRider View Post
Bolster is fine as long as pve gear and naked are a bit worse than partisan. Brings more people and does not tie someone in one aspect of the game. If only now pvp gear was bolstered also to be competitive for pve content but likewise be a bit worse than arkanian it would be really nice for the other side of the table.
They already have experienced it. When WH came out PvE'er were whining on the forms because:

Campaign > WH > Rakata > Columi > Tionese

There were numerous threads about their entitlement to have superior RAID gear. Fast forward to day where we have the opposite now happening.

Quote: Originally Posted by Kilora View Post
I have absolutely no idea what the planned numbers are -- but the intention is that even in the "best" PvE gear, we will be at the same level as someone with the worst PvE gear.

And, anyone in PvE gear should be at a "disadvantage" to anyone in PvP gear. I agree with reducing the gear gap between top-end PvP and PvP, but there should still be a gap. Before this -- at lvl 50, if you went in with no PvP gear, you stood absolutely no chance no matter what skill level you were. Hence giving out free PvP recruit gear.

I've seen a lot of PvPers who only take issue with the bolster problems that BW has admitted to as bugs, and are working on fixing. However, there are a lot of people who don't care to listen when told things are bugged -- either that, or they are upset that PvP gear no longer means you're able to lolsmash everything else.
Biowares developers are plain incompetent, that's all. These issues were raised in the PTS, they ignored it allowing it to creep its way into the live game.

islander's Avatar


islander
04.18.2013 , 08:00 AM | #1178
Quote: Originally Posted by Kilora View Post
I have absolutely no idea what the planned numbers are -- but the intention is that even in the "best" PvE gear, we will be at the same level as someone with the worst PvE gear.

And, anyone in PvE gear should be at a "disadvantage" to anyone in PvP gear. I agree with reducing the gear gap between top-end PvP and PvP, but there should still be a gap. Before this -- at lvl 50, if you went in with no PvP gear, you stood absolutely no chance no matter what skill level you were. Hence giving out free PvP recruit gear.

I've seen a lot of PvPers who only take issue with the bolster problems that BW has admitted to as bugs, and are working on fixing. However, there are a lot of people who don't care to listen when told things are bugged -- either that, or they are upset that PvP gear no longer means you're able to lolsmash everything else.
Rob Hinkle noted in a dev post yesterday that he 'thought' the intended PvE expertise gear cap was 1332. That's where I came up with that number/range.
http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...9&postcount=66
Gėllies Erimosi, Imperial Deadeye
<Hex> Prophecy of the Five

Kilora's Avatar


Kilora
04.18.2013 , 08:10 AM | #1179
Quote: Originally Posted by Yeochins View Post
Biowares developers are plain incompetent, that's all. These issues were raised in the PTS, they ignored it allowing it to creep its way into the live game.
Different issues raised on PTS. Just an FYI.

They've even explained that by fixing one bug, they opened others up. Rather rude of you to call others incompetent when you have no idea what happened in the codebase.

Quite often you fix a bug, and a new one pops up. Welcome to Software Development. They're constantly working to fix things without breaking other things. If they had months and months of PTS time, and unlimited resources, we wouldn't see bugs. But until they start doing MUCH better financially, to the point where EA will dedicate more resources to their team, we will continue to see bugs that aren't fixed instantly.

Demonbrawler's Avatar


Demonbrawler
04.18.2013 , 08:14 AM | #1180
Quote: Originally Posted by Kilora View Post
Different issues raised on PTS. Just an FYI.

They've even explained that by fixing one bug, they opened others up. Rather rude of you to call others incompetent when you have no idea what happened in the codebase.

Quite often you fix a bug, and a new one pops up. Welcome to Software Development. They're constantly working to fix things without breaking other things. If they had months and months of PTS time, and unlimited resources, we wouldn't see bugs. But until they start doing MUCH better financially, to the point where EA will dedicate more resources to their team, we will continue to see bugs that aren't fixed instantly.
yes especially when someone absolutly has no clue of what coding means so pathetic.
(█████████████████Ξ█[IIIIIIOOOIIIIII]█Ξ██████████████████)