Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Really Awful Performance/FPS on Makeb

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Really Awful Performance/FPS on Makeb

Rogoo
04.11.2013 , 11:51 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by DaKnuckles View Post
I was playing on a instance that had 8 players on it and not a one around me and still had the lag/fps drop lol
It's caused by the shoddy FX implementation and the way the HERO engine handles them. As soon as combat starts (hence the FX start to drop) the framerates goes down the drain.

It was always like this, but Makeb seems to have a much larger polycount compared to other planets. And the "new technology" (rofl) called waterfalls.
You are not your rig specs. You are not your K/D ratio. You are not your character level. You are not your sig.
Gunslinger / Shadow / Sentinel / Powertech
The Hero engine: a 2005 technology bringing 2013 rigs to their knees.

Diagorias
04.11.2013 , 12:03 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by spectreclees View Post
Averaging 40-50 fps with shadows off on Makeb doing nothing. Otherwise, It's dipping to 30 fps and combat seems to be really sluggish. Is this going to be acceptable still?

Spoiler

Are my system specs..

I have my control panel for nvidia already set to performance and all of that.
Hmm that's odd, I have similar specs, even a worse GPU, and have no problems at all; playing at high-max settings with close to always 60 fps.
Have you checked your task manager whether there are unusually large amounts of memory used (SWTOR uses in total 2.1 gb here iirc). Aside from that you can try downgrade to an older Nvidia graphics driver, since they are optimized for newer games, but not really for SWTOR

spectreclees
04.12.2013 , 01:56 AM | #23
Downgrading drivers doesn't really help at all. I find it really hard to believe you are running at that frame with a worse computer. I run other games perfectly fine with this rig. GW2 runs smooth as could be and is arguably more CPU intensive. The game isn't running really high amounts of CPU compared to GW2.

So I really don't know what to tell you.

MorbidSouls
04.12.2013 , 05:17 PM | #24
Makeb is a beautiful planet however Makeb is also the only planet i get major FPS dips, every other planet works great on my graphics settings including areas of high density and mountains.

This leads me to believe that either Makeb is badly optimized or that there is simple too many people on Makeb for the server to cope and seeing how Makeb is split into different instances, it leads me to the former.

Makeb and PvP Warzones are big disaster's also if anyone remember the big Illum battles, great concept of cool open world pvp , blowing up walkers and all sorts but failed due to the shoddy Hero engine, the engine is a limiting factor to what the team want to do.

They cannot change the engine but they can optimize it better and so far they have done no improvements on it since open beta, infact, it's actually gotten worse over time and now the game is Free-to-play and the money is rolling in with a reduced size team i doubt any improvements to the engine are going to occur...

Rogoo
04.12.2013 , 05:40 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by MorbidSouls View Post
They cannot change the engine but they can optimize it better and so far they have done no improvements on it since open beta, infact, it's actually gotten worse over time and now the game is Free-to-play and the money is rolling in with a reduced size team i doubt any improvements to the engine are going to occur...
Exactly. Pretty much nothing has improved in terms of engine optimization. I've noticed slightly better assets caching but that's about it. Warzone framerates haven't changed since launch (excluding Alderaan). Makeb is a disaster.

And all that money flows straight into Cartel Market.
You are not your rig specs. You are not your K/D ratio. You are not your character level. You are not your sig.

MorbidSouls
04.13.2013 , 06:43 AM | #26
Exactly that's something i've mentioned a few times, all the development time spent on cartel market it seems to make even more money , they need to calm it down a bit and focus on the core of the game, like bugs and engine optimization.

I still see bugs here from open beta including companion not re-appearing when you dismount, and need to re log to fix it.

Rogoo
04.13.2013 , 01:18 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by MorbidSouls View Post
Exactly that's something i've mentioned a few times, all the development time spent on cartel market it seems to make even more money , they need to calm it down a bit and focus on the core of the game, like bugs and engine optimization.
I'm literally done with SWTOR and done with Bioware after this distaster called Makeb. Screw this, the engine is the worst POS I have seen in an MMO. And I pretty much played them all.

spectreclees
04.14.2013 , 07:56 PM | #28
Old thread I'd also like you guys to keep alive

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=507316

Posts issues on performance.

TWIN_SUNZ
04.15.2013 , 12:20 AM | #29
Getting the same problem, except on most planets with greenery not just Makeb (Alderaan is the worst). And also only with shadows on........ didn't have this problem before..

Tiridian
04.15.2013 , 08:32 AM | #30
I am having lower than normal fps on Makeb. Areas affected appear to be Frinn Mesa and the Cartel Mining are for me. Below is my dxdiag

Spoiler