Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

launcher.exe will not launch

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
launcher.exe will not launch
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Barvorn
12.20.2011 , 07:40 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by General_Tavorrik View Post
Yep, same boat, sent in all of my info to support and on forums, just get the same stupid answer "try the trouble shooting **** that I've already tried 50 times over. Can't wait for a REAL response, these blow you off responses are getting old.
Yeah, all I've gotten from the support is a "We recived your message." reply. I'm sort of hoping if enough threads pop up with this issue that they might actually adress it with some sort of fix since it seems to be a problem with the software itself more than our computers.

jPlet
12.21.2011 , 04:52 AM | #22
I had no problems at all untill last night. Afther school i came home, I launched TOR. It began installing an update (main asset 20, i think) when it was done i pressed play and since then NOTHING. Even the launcher refuses to work. Anyone know how to fix it?

Mr_pepsi
12.21.2011 , 04:55 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Barvorn View Post
In all the senarios of this I read about it was 64-bit, but I also noticed that many people with 64-bit had no problems (or completely different ones). Maybe it could be 64-bit combined with our hardware or something combined with it in some way. I remember I had a game that wouldn't start multiplayer and when I researched the bug I found out it was due the combination of 64-bit, my graphics card, and sound card together; my combo was a fairly standard build from alienware.
Same hardware on mine, but have duel boot, good thing too works on 32bit, but not 64bit, weird same issue on 64bit laptop as well, launcher won't run, at least 32 for the time being runs.

Brolossus
12.21.2011 , 10:07 PM | #24
Oddly enough, I initially was not having this problem.

Then I upgraded to the digital deluxe version, and now my game won't launch as well.

Same issue. Launcher.exe is in the task manager, but nothing works.

Sure would love to play the game I paid for, Bioware.

Vaipetrucci
12.21.2011 , 10:21 PM | #25
FWIW, I have the same exact issue. After some monkeying around, I finally got the launcher to...well, launch. Here's what I did:

- downloaded every single update available (including optional ones) for Windows 7.
- re-downloaded and installed my graphics card drivers, ensuring I had the most current ones available.
- shut down the 'launcher' in my processes.
- went to www.swtor.com/download
- that brought up a prompt to download and re-install the installer. I did that...it's only a 34mb file
- when the install was complete, I selected the checkbox on the installer to launch the game.

It successfully launched and stayed open. I tried logging in with my email and password and it failed to connect to a server three times. On the 4th attempt, it connected. I'm in the process of downloading a massive patch. I don't know if I'll be able to play the game or not, but it's progress.

Whoever ran their QA on this should be fired. Bugs within the game itself are expected at launch...you're not going to catch everything prior to release...but major issues like this that prevent you from even launching the game are ridiculous. That's a high risk feature that should have been thoroughly tested for each and every contingency....I know, I work as a software tester.

Best of luck, everyone.

Brolossus
12.21.2011 , 10:28 PM | #26

Then I upgraded to the digital deluxe version, and now my game won't launch as well.

Krissen
12.21.2011 , 10:34 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Brolossus View Post

Also upgraded to digital , now i just get a black square where my launcher should be.

Could have mentioned this is what a digital upgrade included... :s
Gonna leave my launcher up for awhile and see what happens...

Edit: launcher appeared with a red message "Launcher is updating"
Not sure if im supposed to be scared or happy now.. mixed feelings.

2nd Edit: Updates finished, launcher restarted, its a black box now..
so yeah Bioware, I think your launcher just went full retard, doesn't it know
you are not supposed to go full retard?
<DecemberCrew> - We were gonna preorder in july but gosh darnit wouldn't you know, we all took an arrow to the knee.

Barvorn
12.22.2011 , 12:42 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Vaipetrucci View Post
FWIW, I have the same exact issue. After some monkeying around, I finally got the launcher to...well, launch. Here's what I did:

- downloaded every single update available (including optional ones) for Windows 7.
- re-downloaded and installed my graphics card drivers, ensuring I had the most current ones available.
- shut down the 'launcher' in my processes.
- went to www.swtor.com/download
- that brought up a prompt to download and re-install the installer. I did that...it's only a 34mb file
- when the install was complete, I selected the checkbox on the installer to launch the game.

It successfully launched and stayed open. I tried logging in with my email and password and it failed to connect to a server three times. On the 4th attempt, it connected. I'm in the process of downloading a massive patch. I don't know if I'll be able to play the game or not, but it's progress.

Whoever ran their QA on this should be fired. Bugs within the game itself are expected at launch...you're not going to catch everything prior to release...but major issues like this that prevent you from even launching the game are ridiculous. That's a high risk feature that should have been thoroughly tested for each and every contingency....I know, I work as a software tester.

Best of luck, everyone.
I tried this and it added a file or two to my folder but the launcher still refused to open. But I only thought to try that recently.

Barvorn
12.22.2011 , 12:52 AM | #29
I actually got a response from support today, I thought I would post this incase there was a chance something in this might be helpful to someone.:

"Greetings,

I am Protocol Droid M0-T0, human cyborg relations.

I have received your transmission regarding patching the game client.

I’m afraid that this response is rather lengthy, but I would ask you to please read through it all as the information we request from you will be of great help to us in diagnosing the root cause of the trouble you are having with the launcher.

Could you please check that:

1. Star Wars: The Old Republic is installed to the default directory

- For 32 bit Operating Systems - C:\Program Files\EA\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic
or
- For 64 bit Operating Systems - C:\Program Files (x86)\EA\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic

2. Exceptions for SWTOR.EXE and Launcher.EXE have been added to your Anti-Virus and Firewall programs.

- Please follow the guide below on how to change your Windows Firewall settings: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ndows-Firewall

- For assistance on creating exceptions with all other brands of Firewall and Anti-Virus software, please refer to the software provider for instructions. (Please note that we cannot accept responsibility for content on any external websites).

3. The Repair Function has been run through your launcher window.

- To access this please click on the 'cog wheel' button located in the bottom left hand corner of the launcher window. This will open a Settings menu where you will be able to find and click on the Repair button.

4. You have User Access Control (UAC) temporarily disabled on your computer while installing through your launcher.

- For Windows 7 operating systems - click on the Start button, then Control Panel. From there, type 'uac' into the search box. In the search results select 'Change User Account Control Settings'. To temporarily disable UAC adjust the slider to the 'Never Notify' position and then click OK.

- For Windows Vista Operating systems - click on the Start button, then Control Panel. From there click on User Accounts and Family Safety. You should now see the option to turn UAC on or off. Please make sure that you uncheck the box which states 'Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer'. This will now successfully disable your UAC.

Once Launcher Installation is complete, we would strongly advise that you switch User Account Control back on following the same steps as above.

If you continue to experience problems with your launcher after confirming these steps, please reply to this email, attaching an up-to-date set of launcher logs, and a dxdiag of your system.

If you continue to experience problems with your launcher after confirming these steps, please reply to this email, attaching an up-to-date set of launcher logs, and a dxdiag of your system.

Here’s how to find your logs and dxdiag:

Launcher logs are usually at either of these default locations:

- For 32 bit Operating Systems - C:\Program Files\EA\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\logs
or
- For 64 bit Operating Systems - C:\Program Files (x86)\EA\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\logs

Launcher logs look like this: “launcher_112610.txt”

To run a dxdiag on your system and save the log, please do the following:

- Click on the Start button
- Type dxdiag into the Search/Run box
- Select the "Save All Information" button
- This will create a dxdiag.txt file
- Please save the file to a location that is easy to remember, as you’ll need to attach it to your reply.

As well as these files, we would appreciate that, if possible, you include answers to the following questions:

1. If your Star Wars: The Old Republic game client was previously not installed to the default directory, please tell us the location it was originally installed to.
a. Do you have multiple internal hard drives, or a partitioned hard drive?
b. If so was the game installed to one of these?
2. Was the game initially installed to any sort of external hard drive?
3. Do you use any 3rd party firewall programs or anti-virus software?
a. If so, which programs do you use?
b. Which settings do you use?
4. Is there a file called Install Star Wars – The Old Republic.log located in the folder C:\Users\”Username”\Documents?
5. Have you previously been able to successfully launch the patcher?
a. If so, have you made any changes (physical hardware or software updates) to your machine since then?
b. Have you altered or updated any program files while Star Wars: The Old Republic was patching?

As we asked back at the start of this mail, please reply to this message, answering the above questions and attaching the requested files, and we will be back in touch with you as soon as possible.

Thank you for continued patience and understanding, and we apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused.

Galactic Support is our specialty...

Sincerely,

Protocol Droid M0-T0
Star Wars: The Old Republic Customer Service"

A lot of this is stuff we already know, but the last group of questions could be helpful for possibly identifying a common cause for the launcher problem. It is slightly better than just telling me to check if the power cable is in fact plugged into the back of my computer rather than the duck taped to my monitor.

This was in response to my issue of the launcher.exe never launching after I installed SWTOR from the DVD (I had no prior installations of the game from Early Game Access, etc.).

[ See my first post: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=62125 ]

skinisin
12.22.2011 , 12:56 AM | #30
My launcher will not open at all. Nothing happens as if I have not tried to open it at all.

I have tried the fixes that exist and none of them appear to work for me.

I did not partake in any of the beta events, I delete and reinstall and run the fixer and all that and nothing is resolved.

Basically what happens is I download the client from the links on the SWTOR website, and when it downloads and installs I try to run the game and NOTHING happens, when I say nothing, I mean the computer does not try to think, there is no cycle, no sign that it is trying to do anything at all, I just click to open the game and then nothing at all happens, as if I am sitting in front of my screen clicking nothing. Oh, when I run it as administrator it asks if I give this program permission to run, then I click ok, and nothing still happens.

I see that this is a problem I am not alone with, and that there are heaps of other issues with the launcher. If the launcher responded at all it would be less frustrating than this.

I have thought about it, and the only games I have had problem with in the last 5 years of my gaming life have been EA games. BF3 and this are the only 2 games. I know that origon was the main problem with my BF3, and now this, which I am unsure if its origon related or not.

At the end of the day, I am pointing fingers and shouting words of blame at EA. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel of how to access online games. Every other developer out there is doing it successfully, why cant you? If your trying to be smarter by adding little tweaks to the way your games work stop it, your not smarter than everyone else, your stupider for trying it. The proof is in the amount of people and the amount of problems its created.

I want to play this game and I will not stop trying to find a solution to it, I will even be paying a professional tech to come and look at it for me. But while I am doing that, a simple fix for the guys at EA's end may be to simply create a new launcher for the game, a tried and true one, maybe borrow the script from blizzard, funcom or ncsoft or someone who can do it for you and is doing it with no problems.

This is not a troll or a joke either, seriously, try making a new launcher, might work wonders, seriously.