Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PVP Tank Gearing in 2.0

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
PVP Tank Gearing in 2.0

alkhattabi
04.25.2013 , 11:30 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by KeyboardNinja View Post
That rough stat priority strikes me as correct. Expertise is itemized against main stat, not against the other defensive stats, so we can use the same math that we do in PvE. (in other words, you want as much Expertise as you can get; after that, worry about defensive stats) The only tricky bit is we have to make a different assumption about the proportion of melee/ranged attacks vs force/tech. Normally, I would have put this around 45% m/r, which is what I surveyed it to be a few months ago. However, the large number of snipers and marauders in PvP today likely imbalances this a bit, and so I'll tip it to a 60% m/r, 40% f/t balance.

Without further ado, here are the ideal defensive stat distributions for tanks in PvP (at level 55):

Shadow

Spoiler

Guardian

Spoiler

Vanguard

Spoiler

It's worth noting that, due to the heavy reliance on shield/absorb, shadows and vanguards will be absolutely godlike in PvP. Guardians are going to be pretty far behind the curve, though they make up for it in other ways (mobility and control).
hey KBN ae these number still valid cuz iv seen ur pve numbers has been updated after this post (not sure if this is related though) so iwas just wondering and what relic should i use as shadow pvp tank cuz am using same as the pve setup tbh pvp heal proc and def proc am guessing swap def proc with abs proc and keep the healing relic ? and what do you think about end/pwr augments in pvp (never tanked in pvp just got interested in it after the shield changes)... thx

TheRampage
04.25.2013 , 02:08 PM | #12
relic for vanguard tank, what are your toughts? both with procces, but whic one doesnt share same cooldown? or is it better some other? would appreciate the tips

steave
04.25.2013 , 02:45 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by KeyboardNinja View Post
That rough stat priority strikes me as correct. Expertise is itemized against main stat, not against the other defensive stats, so we can use the same math that we do in PvE. (in other words, you want as much Expertise as you can get; after that, worry about defensive stats) The only tricky bit is we have to make a different assumption about the proportion of melee/ranged attacks vs force/tech. Normally, I would have put this around 45% m/r, which is what I surveyed it to be a few months ago. However, the large number of snipers and marauders in PvP today likely imbalances this a bit, and so I'll tip it to a 60% m/r, 40% f/t balance.

Without further ado, here are the ideal defensive stat distributions for tanks in PvP (at level 55):

Shadow

Spoiler

Guardian

Spoiler

Vanguard

Spoiler

It's worth noting that, due to the heavy reliance on shield/absorb, shadows and vanguards will be absolutely godlike in PvP. Guardians are going to be pretty far behind the curve, though they make up for it in other ways (mobility and control).
I made similar assumptions at first, but after thinking about it, I don't think you can simply convert the PVE calc - PVP has crits, and they mess with the balance.
For those that don't know, if the attacker has 25% crit and the defender has 50% shield (and assuming it didn't miss/get defended already), there'sa 5 0% chance of a shielding, 25% chance of a normal hit and 25% chance of a crit. Assuming 100% crit damage bonus (about right on the class key abilities when talented) and 100% absorb (unrealistic, but makes the math easy), you're still taking 60% of the pre-shielding damage rather than 50% as the stats would normally imply. Defense on the other hand can prevent attacks that would have critted as well.

Zoom_VI
04.25.2013 , 09:52 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by TheRampage View Post
relic for vanguard tank, what are your toughts? both with procces, but whic one doesnt share same cooldown? or is it better some other? would appreciate the tips
You want the absorb proc relic and the defense proc relic
Never stack two of the same because of the DR curve in def and absorb
Crinn

Sanity is for the weak minded.

grallmate
04.25.2013 , 10:03 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Zoom_VI View Post
As far as I know, they share an ICD since they are similar effects. I could be wrong and haven't tested it, but based on the damage proc ones sharing an ICD I'd make the same assumption here.
The Kae-Sare Legacy - The Harbinger
<Vindication> <Retribution>

Gralleh Grall'eh Khyar
Gralleh's Guide to Guardian Tanking [UPDATED for 2.0]

Zoom_VI
04.25.2013 , 10:13 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by grallmate View Post
As far as I know, they share an ICD since they are similar effects. I could be wrong and haven't tested it, but based on the damage proc ones sharing an ICD I'd make the same assumption here.
No the icd is independent
The only time they share same icd is if you have two exactly identical relics.
Even the conq version of a relic will stack with its partisan counterpart however for tanks doing sous ineffective as outlined in my first post
Crinn

Sanity is for the weak minded.

grallmate
04.25.2013 , 10:19 PM | #17
No the icd is independent
The only time they share same icd is if you have two exactly identical relics.
Even the conq version of a relic will stack with its partisan counterpart however for tanks doing sous ineffective as outlined in my first post
Have you actually tested this?
The Kae-Sare Legacy - The Harbinger
<Vindication> <Retribution>

Gralleh Grall'eh Khyar
Gralleh's Guide to Guardian Tanking [UPDATED for 2.0]

steave
04.26.2013 , 05:19 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by grallmate View Post
Have you actually tested this?
Me and my Jugg friend did. Only 1 would proc when using DG abs plus arkanian def, but arkanian def and...a PvP abs (don't remember which) did.

alkhattabi
04.26.2013 , 05:06 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by alkhattabi View Post
hey KBN ae these number still valid cuz iv seen ur pve numbers has been updated after this post (not sure if this is related though) so iwas just wondering and what relic should i use as shadow pvp tank cuz am using same as the pve setup tbh pvp heal proc and def proc am guessing swap def proc with abs proc and keep the healing relic ? and what do you think about end/pwr augments in pvp (never tanked in pvp just got interested in it after the shield changes)... thx
didnt get any answers for my question yet + should i use end crystals on off/mainhand or exp crys cuz i remember reading something says exp crys but am not sure

TheRampage
04.26.2013 , 06:22 PM | #20
Yes, that was my tought as well, one def and one absorb.

About augments, I was thinking about endurance, ofc, but with power? Not sure how uch is useful for vanguard tank? Maybe better go aim + endurance?