Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Movement keys become 'stuck' - this is a bigger issue then it might sound

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Movement keys become 'stuck' - this is a bigger issue then it might sound

NoseNuggets
12.20.2011 , 06:46 PM | #1
The Issue:

a single movement key, or the keys bound to camera rotation become 'stuck' in software, not physically stuck on the keyboard.

Basic troubleshooting completed:

pressing the key again does not un-stick the key.
moving to the chat window does not see the stuck key being spammed in the text input bar
no program outside of TOR seems to be effected and all other apps work normally (even with TOR still running)
rebooted system
attempting to simulate mouse/kaybord inputs experienced in warzones to duplicate the issue i.e. mash lots of keys.

known solutions:

log out and in
load a new area (transition from a warzone to the normal game world, vis versa)

general notes / observations:

i don't think i had this issue during the huge beta weekend, or the last beta weekend (did not test at any other times).
I have yet to find the cause for this unfortunately, but i am doing my damnedest to find it.
it happens a lot more often in warzones, i think the reason for this is i am pressing more keys more often then when questing. i dont think it has anything to do with the warzone zones inparticular, i am pretty convinced this has to do with a key combination.
when the issue does occure, it removes my ability to use skills that require me to stand still (channel), even if i press the oposing movement key to cancel the stuck input.
plus its bloody annoying

i feel like the problem has something to do with my usage and its causing the 'key-up' action to not be recorded. maybe i am pressing another key while a movement key is between the key-down and key-up position and the action gets stuck?

relevant system details:
win 7 ult, all current patches
razer black widow ult mechanical keyboard (usb)
razer swtor naga mouse (usb) brand new
razer naga regular (usb) my previous mouse, 2 known occurrence using this device.

suggested quick/intermediary fixes:
add a /reload command to force a full re-load of the current environment/assets. this action via zone transition works every time to resolve the issue.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know if i can conduct any followup testing to provide additional details. as it stands right now, 3 of my 5 warzones last night were terribly aggravating because the 'pan camera left' key was stuck and spinning my camera, or S got 'stuck' and could only move backwards (pressing w in this instance simply cancels the S action, not forces the walk forward action). and if i logout or alt-f4 i get booted from the WZ.

Thanks,
Tristan

p.s. great game btw. smoothest mmo launch i have seen, and i have seen pretty much all of them since UO.

AlexWolf
12.20.2011 , 06:51 PM | #2
It's probably your Razor equipment. I've had issues with the set I had, and promptly rid myself of all of them in favor of Logitech. Fixed any issues I had with them.

The issues I've had were game specific and never occurred outside said game.
When you engage the enemy, there are three alternatives.
If he attacks first, kill him.
If you attack first, kill him.
If you attack at once, kill him.

NoseNuggets
12.20.2011 , 06:58 PM | #3
i would be likely to agree with you if i had seen this behavior in any other game ever - but i haven't. there is no difference in my usage between tor and wow. if anything, being that my leveled wow toons have more buttons to push, i would say that would have been a more likely scenario to see the issue.

then there is the zone-out action that solves the problem. the issue definitely exists inside tor specifically. i dont see how tor loading a new zone could effect the keyboard/mouse directly, thus removing the physical keyboard and mouse as a culprit. no?

NoseNuggets
12.20.2011 , 07:56 PM | #4
is this even the right place to post bugs expecting a tech reply?

Smoosher_
12.28.2011 , 07:29 AM | #5
I know this one is afew days old however bumping this up with my info

Same issue of movement keys being stuck, mostly on boss fights or high movement fights, (Tanking midfight and one of your keys being stuck down isnt fun).

No simular issue in other games

Keyboard: Logitech G15
Mouse: Razer Naga Molten Edition

Considering we both have Naga's im guessing its something the game doesnt like with the mouse!

Smoosher_
12.28.2011 , 07:59 AM | #6
Just had a slight lightbulb moment.

Do you use your Razor Naga side buttons from your "Num Pad"?

My common one that gets stuck during tanking is my S key which is a common move on my mouse "Number 2" which is "Down Arrow" on the numberpad.

So ive just Unbound all my arrow keys and see if that helps, something to think about!

Svidro
12.29.2011 , 09:34 AM | #7
From what I can tell it looks like it has to do with having a mod key + something as one of the keys on the razor numpad. It was really annoying me when I came across this, and I changed my 1 key on the razor, which had been shift+R to 7, and it started working just fine. ToR must handle shift, alt, etc in some way that conflicts with what the naga software expects or vice versa.

Koivie
01.21.2012 , 01:59 PM | #8
Bump. This is still a problem.

JediDeckler
01.21.2012 , 04:07 PM | #9
I'm using a standard mouse and my laptop keyboard and as of today this has become an issue for me. I am constantly panning to the right. Logging out and back in *sometimes* has resolved this but other times I am still 'spinning' in one direction.
Just now I left my game to grab a drink, when I left I was fine but when I came back I was 'rotating to the right' and could not stop it. My game has basically become unplayable.
Cannot get my keyboard to duplicate this in any other program and I can type in the chat window and do not get a response like it's a stuck key so I'm left believing it is something within the game.

Sierras
01.25.2012 , 02:32 PM | #10
I have the same issue, and yes, I use a razer product. The thing is, it was not happening at all before the big patch, and then increased after yesterdays patch. I am sure there are tons of users out there with Razer brand items not havving this issue, so I do not think it is that.

Another thread I read says the issue is with key binding items utilizing the shift and alt keys. Do the folks posting here have those key binds?

Thanks,
Sierras