Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

2.0 DPS Rankings - Discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Roles > Damage-dealing
2.0 DPS Rankings - Discussion

Carlenux
05.18.2013 , 01:11 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by KeyboardNinja View Post
Based on parses and theory crafting in the last available patch on the PTS, there are a couple things that are worth saying. First, *all* of the DPS appear to be within about 3% of the mean. That's really, really close to balanced, especially since different specs scale differently with gear and we have a lot of gear tiers ahead of us. Second, comparatively few people parsed on the PTS, so we have a fairly skewed sampling. This is well evidenced by the fact that Vanguards/PowerTechs were considered to be absolute bottom-tier until someone hit a parse that was really really good. We don't have any PvE data AT ALL on Focus/Rage spec Sentinel/Marauder. Basically, we need more data to be absolutely sure, but things look pretty close together.

Another thing to note is that there are one or two really anomalous classes that do strange things on certain fights. A great example of this is Saboteur/Engineering spec Gunslinger/Sniper, which is extremely OP on bosses with large hitboxes, and generally balanced on other bosses. It remains to be seen how things will shake out in the final patch.

With all that said, people are often interested in order within a balance group. Again, I stress that everyone here seems to be within about 3%, so really the differences aren't going to matter even for seriously hard-core progression.
  • Gunslinger/Sniper (hybrid)
  • Vanguard/Powertech (standard no-AP hybrid still seems best)
  • Sentinel/Marauder (annihilation)
  • Commando/Mercenary (arsenal)
  • Sage/Sorc (lightning)
  • Guardian/Jugg (vengeance)
  • Scoundrel/Operative (lethality)
  • Shadow/Assassin (madness)

This list does come with some caveats though. This list is based on *dummy* parses in largely-equivalent gear, not actual bosses. Because the low-end specs on this list tend to have talents and abilities which are significantly buffed by a full raid group, it is likely that things will draw even closer in a true boss fight. Most notably, shadows have the most potent execute talents of any class, which means their actual boss DPS is likely significantly higher. (though, hybrid gunslingers also get a really good set of executes, so they're probably even more powerful on an actual boss)

Overall, I think the important thing is this: no DPS class is unviable. You should take the class with the best player behind the keyboard and which provides the best synergy with your raid group. Don't go chasing the FOTM, because the gap between DPS ceilings just isn't that vast anymore.

Honestly, if I were to pick an 8 man raid group, I would probably have the following composition:
  • Shadow Tank (highest threat and average mitigation, and best cooldowns for a lot of fights)
  • Guardian Tank (best emergency cooldowns, very good control and mobility)
  • Sage Healer (for, you know, the people other than the tank)
  • Commando Healer (better burst heals than a scoundrel in 2.0)
  • Hybrid Gunslinger (the shield is boss in 2.0, and the ST DPS is great)
  • Gunnery Commando (off-heals and battle rez, armor debuff and good AoE)
  • Watchman Sentinel (inspiration, transcendence, and very high ST DPS)
  • Balance Shadow (decent AoE DPS for a melee, taunt, gap closer, and unaffected by movement)

I might switch out the Watchman for a Focus spec, depending on how Focus parses in 2.0 (again, we need more data). The weakest aspect of this group is target swapping and burst AoE (hence my leaning toward a Focus sentinel over Watchman).
i would have to dissagree completely with you, on everything... in the rankings order it would prob go: Snipers (for now, until they fix the double exploit, ALL high parsing snipers are using it in torparse)... Marauders a little bit higher than Op... Sorc.... jug.. Merc... PT... Assassin... just compare torparse ranking, mostly top by exploiting snipers, good marauders, Dizella / invinc (Ops) and the eventual random Sorc or jug (stomach for example as sorc.).

as far as a Best Group Comp i would go:

Jugg / PT tank

sniper (spec depend on fight)
marauder carnage
op Leth
Ars Merc

Op/Sorc Healer.

my opinion
THE HARBRINGER
Carlenix // Pyrotec // Invinc // Carlenx// Hwynn // Hmaull

grallmate
05.21.2013 , 06:59 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Carlenux View Post
i would have to dissagree completely with you, on everything... in the rankings order it would prob go: Snipers (for now, until they fix the double exploit, ALL high parsing snipers are using it in torparse)... Marauders a little bit higher than Op... Sorc.... jug.. Merc... PT... Assassin... just compare torparse ranking, mostly top by exploiting snipers, good marauders, Dizella / invinc (Ops) and the eventual random Sorc or jug (stomach for example as sorc.).

Jugg / PT tank

marauder carnage
op Leth
Ars Merc

Op/Sorc Healer.

my opinion
I agree that most of the top parses at the moment are making use of double stacking relics and should be taken with a grain of salt but I don't think its going to tweak the balance between the classes too much since that 'exploit' isn't restricted to certain classes.

My ideal raid makeup these days would be:
- Shadow Tank (Awesome threat gen and mechanic cheesing goodness)
- Guardian Tank (Much improved threat, heavy armor, best CDs and nearly as much mechanic cheesing at the Shadows)
- Sage Healer (Gooey puddle of goodness and bubbles)
- Commando or Scoundrel healer depending on the fight.
- Combat Sentinel (amazing burst and excellent sustained DPS along with all the Sentinel tools)
- Gunnery Commando (armor debuff, good DPS and offheals)
- Sharpshooter or Sab Gunslinger (excellent DPS, armor debuff and those Gunslinger tools)
- DPS Guardian or Vanguard (off taunt, ability to spec for AoE in add heavy fights, good DPS)
The Kae-Sare Legacy - The Harbinger
<Vindication> <Retribution>

Gralleh Grall'eh Khyar
Gralleh's Guide to Guardian Tanking [UPDATED for 2.0]

exiefdesigns
05.24.2013 , 06:21 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by grallmate View Post
I agree that most of the top parses at the moment are making use of double stacking relics and should be taken with a grain of salt but I don't think its going to tweak the balance between the classes too much since that 'exploit' isn't restricted to certain classes.

My ideal raid makeup these days would be:
- Shadow Tank (Awesome threat gen and mechanic cheesing goodness)
- Guardian Tank (Much improved threat, heavy armor, best CDs and nearly as much mechanic cheesing at the Shadows)
- Sage Healer (Gooey puddle of goodness and bubbles)
- Commando or Scoundrel healer depending on the fight.
- Combat Sentinel (amazing burst and excellent sustained DPS along with all the Sentinel tools)
- Gunnery Commando (armor debuff, good DPS and offheals)
- Sharpshooter or Sab Gunslinger (excellent DPS, armor debuff and those Gunslinger tools)
- DPS Guardian or Vanguard (off taunt, ability to spec for AoE in add heavy fights, good DPS)
i disagree with the use of shadow/assassin tanks in ideal raid group simply because of lots of bad experiences with assassin tank that had the gear but still dropped in 3 hits from trash mobs, i would personally chose a pt tank over a assassin due to the increased damage reduction overall and they also have awesome threat gen if you use the right opening rotation(and of course the taunt with 30m range is awesome)

arkitip
05.25.2013 , 11:47 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by exiefdesigns View Post
i disagree with the use of shadow/assassin tanks in ideal raid group simply because of lots of bad experiences with assassin tank that had the gear but still dropped in 3 hits from trash mobs, i would personally chose a pt tank over a assassin due to the increased damage reduction overall and they also have awesome threat gen if you use the right opening rotation(and of course the taunt with 30m range is awesome)
What does your anecdotal evidence have to do with the actual viability of the class?

A person could have grouped with nothing but awful marauders/snipers but that wouldn't change the fact that those 2 classes have the highest damage potential in the game.

grallmate
05.26.2013 , 06:24 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by exiefdesigns View Post
First of all, all 3 tanks have a 30m range on taunt. The only taunt difference between Shadow/Guardian and Vanguard is the Shadow/Guardian AoE taunt are 15m radius centered on themselves while the Vanguard AoE is 15m radius centered on the targeted mob.

All 3 tanks now have awesome opening threat generation. Guardian threat spikes at Guardian Slash and Master Strike (~6s) in their rotation while Shadow threat spikes at Tk Throw (~10s) in theirs. Vanguard threat spikes at Stockstrike -> HiB (3s) in their rotation.

Guardian's provide the lovely steady damage profile for dealing with trash and heavy hitting bosses while Shadows have great averaged mitigation with a high spikiness. They also have all that mechanic cheesing goodness thanks to Resilience and Force Cloak which the Guardians now almost match with Saber Reflect.

On top of that, Shadows and Guardians have better CDs than the Vanguard so they are more able to deal with enrage or high damage situations. At the top of the game currently, Guardian and Shadow are just miles ahead of the Vanguard in everything except DTPS which is remarkably even between the 3.
The Kae-Sare Legacy - The Harbinger
<Vindication> <Retribution>

Gralleh Grall'eh Khyar
Gralleh's Guide to Guardian Tanking [UPDATED for 2.0]

JDotter
05.26.2013 , 06:37 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Carlenux View Post

Jugg / PT tank

marauder carnage
op Leth
Ars Merc

Op/Sorc Healer.

my opinion
Hard out there for the sorcs not abusing the relic glitch.
Mílas
<Hatred>

<EDE>