Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Playing as Empire: Pointless since we know how it all ends?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Playing as Empire: Pointless since we know how it all ends?

OverlordThor
12.13.2011 , 01:42 PM | #11
By the way one interesting thing from Star Wars Episode 3, Revenge of the Sith, because I know you didnt watch it because you knew how it would end.

Mace Windu says the "Sith will never rule the galaxy, again", when trying to stop Palpatine

Key word being again, meaning they ruled the Galaxy at some point in the past. Is that now or thousands of years prior, or thousands of years later before they disappeared for a thousand years just prior to episode 1.

Mechavomit
12.13.2011 , 01:44 PM | #12
Living: pointless since we're going to die anyway.

I'm not playing Empire to "win" something. I'm playing Empire because I like it more.

Nanoling
12.13.2011 , 01:44 PM | #13
Come on, after they blow up the second deathstar and kill the emperor and redeem Vader, do you really think the Empire will just keel over and die?

There's a gigant imperial machine and no shortage of would be leaders to take over where PappaPalpatine left off.
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.

tifaia
12.13.2011 , 01:45 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by OverlordThor View Post
Ok, there are a few key things here.

Why play any game if you know the good guys are going to win out?

Why did you bother to watch the prequel trilogy if you knew Anakin would turn to the Dark Side, and the Jedi Order would be Destroyed?

Why did you bother playing KOTOR 1 or two, you knew the Sith would ultimately lose?

Why watch any episode of Star Trek, Stargate, crime shows, or any TV shows with good and bad guys, the good guys always catch the bad guys and stop them, eventually.
It's a game.

Set in a fictional realm.

None of it is real.

I know that may have just blown the minds of a few people, but there you go.

So what if I know 3,000+ years later in the game's universe that the side I'm on will lose? That doesn't deter me from wanting to play on the non-winning side. I'm just as curious to learn about their stories, their lore, and their way of life.

Not all Sith/Empire are "bad guys" just as not all Jedi/Republic are "good guys". Good and bad are relative to what you personally believe.

Here is how I view it: It's a game and it gives me the opportunity to play a character that I would never be in the real world. In this case, working for the Empire. So what's wrong with that?

Let people have fun and play the game as they wish.
All the way to Alderaan.
Queue? What Q?

The Nightfall Syndicate

ShamasterX
12.13.2011 , 01:45 PM | #15
Of course, there's also the possibilities of non-canon endings within the game, like the dark side ending of KOTORs I and II. They won't be official, but that's a good way to see "what if?"
Explore! Conquer! Excel!
→ Roleplay taken to new heights! ←

metrical
12.13.2011 , 01:47 PM | #16
Civilization as we know it will probably collapse or completely change in the next 3000 years, too!

Aavlen
12.13.2011 , 01:47 PM | #17
So.. I guess no one else read the OP and giggled? I guess this really is serious stuff eh? Lighten up folks
The dead know only one thing... it is better to be alive.

Mechavomit
12.13.2011 , 01:48 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Aavlen View Post
So.. I guess no one else read the OP and giggled? I guess this realy is serious stuff eh? Lighten up folks
Of course it's serious! I mean.. why else would you be playing a game? To WIN, of course. This war, man!

OverlordThor
12.13.2011 , 01:49 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by tifaia View Post
It's a game.

Set in a fictional realm.

None of it is real.

I know that may have just blown the minds of a few people, but there you go.

So what if I know 3,000+ years later in the game's universe that the side I'm on will lose? That doesn't deter me from wanting to play on the non-winning side. I'm just as curious to learn about their stories, their lore, and their way of life.

Not all Sith/Empire are "bad guys" just as not all Jedi/Republic are "good guys". Good and bad are relative to what you personally believe.

Here is how I view it: It's a game and it gives me the opportunity to play a character that I would never be in the real world. In this case, working for the Empire. So what's wrong with that?

Let people have fun and play the game as they wish.
Do you understand what Sarcasm is?

tifaia
12.13.2011 , 02:04 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by OverlordThor View Post
Do you understand what Sarcasm is?
I do, and clearly you are trying to entice people to antagonize you and create issues.

*walks away and adds you to the ignore list*
All the way to Alderaan.
Queue? What Q?

The Nightfall Syndicate